• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it time to fine a new coffee place? Starbucks caves...

davidmcbeth

Banned
It begs the question: what makes being armed special? Why do you (we) deserve special status?

Do we not have the right to defend ourselves? Why would this right be stripped just due to a line on the ground of a business that invites us in?

Hardly "special". Its basic.

If you believe that a business can stop one from carrying then do we agree that your right to defend ourselves, and the people with, are forfeited via crossing over a line on the ground? Do we have the right to shop for food, to shop for medicine, to worship?

This is where my issue is brought to fruition ... either we have the right to defend ourselves or we don't. We are not talking about natural persons but ones created by the state. I think the 2nd and 9th amendments together with the bodies of our founding fathers writings can lead to the conclusion that supports carrying in such instances.

A good point was made about smoking ... its interesting that business property rights are not sacrosanct. The state can tell a business not to allow smoking but in private residences this authority is not so clear cut...I know of no such law in CT...

As I have stated before, business are persons but not natural persons; they can do things people cannot and people can do things that businesses cannot.

What's next? Businesses requiring one to sign an absentee ballot to vote for who the business supports?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Do we not have the right to defend ourselves? Why would this right be stripped just due to a line on the ground of a business that invites us in?

Nobody is "stripping" you of anything when it is the result of actions you voluntarily take.

By your logic you're "stripped of the right" to free speech when you, for instance, sign confidentiality agreements.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
A good point was made about smoking ... its interesting that business property rights are not sacrosanct. The state can tell a business not to allow smoking but in private residences this authority is not so clear cut...I know of no such law in CT...

It's a terrible point insofar as government has no right to force businesses to disallow smoking. It does this contrary to right.

But the "right to be in a smoke-free environment, even when it's private property and you are there voluntarily" is akin to the "right to be be armed even when it's private property and you are there voluntarily", so you've got a point there. It's just too bad that arguing for these "rights" is a mark of progressivism/statism.

Heck, from there it's a tiny, tiny leap to having the "right to feel safe by not having guns around, even when I'm there voluntarily." That merely depends on which way the wind blows.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nobody is "stripping" you of anything when it is the result of actions you voluntarily take.

By your logic you're "stripped of the right" to free speech when you, for instance, sign confidentiality agreements.

I would disagree with the premise that it is not a stripping of a right. Assume all businesses put up signs...then they are, as a group, stripping you of your right to participate in commerce OR your RKBA. And for what? Your carrying does not interfere with any of their rights.