• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I've been every where man! OC

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... There is a added variable added when Rachelle starts her shift. For instance I may be protected by FOPA if I start and end a trip in the right states. However I do see a loophole if she were to start her trip in the wrong state. ....

Tanner, dear boy. You had it when you used the term "shift" but then lost it at the end there.

If she has been travelling along with you she starts the trip in the same place you do. Generally speaking, your trips while on the road start from where you pick up a load and end where you drop it off. If you are dropping off partial loads in different places, each leg counts as a separate trip.

stay safe.

badey

There is a podcast called the RoadGunner podcast (on the gun rights radio network). The host is a truck driver, and carries a gun, where he can. He has a few episodes covering the legal aspect of carrying a gun in a truck, and FOPA (in states where he does not have a reciprocal permit.

Tanner

Tanner, dear boy. You had it when you used the term "shift" but then lost it at the end there.

If she has been travelling along with you she starts the trip in the same place you do. Generally speaking, your trips while on the road start from where you pick up a load and end where you drop it off. If you are dropping off partial loads in different places, each leg counts as a separate trip.

stay safe.
That is a negative on that one. Consider that when she is logging her driver status as sleeper birth she is not in any way responsible for the load or the activities asscoiated with getting it. So when she starts the trip on her log she may be in the wrong state. I guess there are two ways to look at it.

If carrying a load of beer we only need permits for the states of origin and destination, every state in between needs no permit. I always assume the worst when dealing with legal issues. Its no stretch of the imagination that there could be potential problems with the team aspect of driving for FOPA to apply. The load may have started in a safe state but she could start it in the wrong one. I guess the question would be does FOPA apply to the individual or the load? I would guess the individual in this case. But in all reality this whole situation is probably extremely rare. Im willing to bet that if this situation were to come up nobody would have a clue what was really legal. Then we get to pay a lawyer a boad load of $ to set the record straight.

These are just the rambelings of a tired and confused mind. mostly confused :confused:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Tanner -

As long as she is in the truck with you she is on the same journey as you. Her stopping and starting to be the official driver has nothing to do with it.

Please come home soon so I can hit you upside the head and try to knock some sense into you. You always look for the way to make things hard or complicated, even when they are not.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Tanner -

. You always look for the way to make things hard or complicated, even when they are not.

stay safe.

He has enough sense Skid but I'm convinced those tags just cloud his mind with smog and sewa gas!:uhoh:

Tanner

This will be the first and last time I ever say this but here it goes. I cant waite to go to the DMV! The tags are holding me back I know. Its the yankee tags that make me difficult. Speaking of Yankee I heard a joke today.
"What is a Yankee?"............ "Same as a quicke just that you can do it by yourself" I might get in trouble for that one but I couldent resist. :lol: