• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joe's Sports in Boise is prohibiting open carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

carracer wrote:
Joes now has an officialNO OC policy, mainly due to a recentincident at an Idaho Joe's store where three people were OCing and were VERY confrontational (He stated he saw the videotape and one of the OCers even had his hand on his firearm!
I'd like to see this tape, but this goes to show you why it is often adviseable to carry somthing in your carry hand when shopping so that you cannot be accused of touching your gun - keys, wallet, cup of starbucks, etc.

Saint

imported post

Mike wrote:
carracer wrote:
Joes now has an officialNO OC policy, mainly due to a recentincident at an Idaho Joe's store where three people were OCing and were VERY confrontational (He stated he saw the videotape and one of the OCers even had his hand on his firearm!
I'd like to see this tape, but this goes to show you why it is often adviseable to carry somthing in your carry hand when shopping so that you cannot be accused of touching your gun - keys, wallet, cup of starbucks, etc.
I would be interested to see this tape as well. When the incident that I posted here occurred, I was told that the no-OC policy was already in place so I don't know why they are now claiming it was due to an incident in Idaho.

I would caution anyone against saying that there were people touching their firearms or being confrontational until you have actually seen this supposed video. Most of the OCers I know are very respectful and would never place a hand on their weapon unless in the process of drawing to defend themselves.

carracer

imported post

I do hope everyone here realizes that I did a cut and paste from the Oregon threads. the red highlites and quotation marks were mine though. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I have regarding this should correct the Oregon postings.

jegoodin

imported post

They sounds like the PERFECT candidate for the do not patronize list. I don't care if the manager is a super guy with minty fresh breath. The corporate policy is anti-carry and should not be tolerated.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Ed from Joes called me yesterday - he seemed pretty exhasperated with all the hubub and a bit new to the OC thing. Ed told me that Joes did not have any policy against concealed carry; I asked him if he was going to discriminate against open carriers - Ed indicated that there is no policy **at this time** and they are still thinking it over. Ed did promise me that he was going to tell all employees not to try to debate open carriers on state law as obvioulsy state law in the tri-state area did not ban open carry in Joes.

I think that is where the misunderstanding in one encounter arose - employees cited state law as basis to ask customers to levae - customers explained they were out of their gourds. This can be easily misunderstood by employees as customers being confrontational - now if employess said "hey fellas, boss says no guns here, ya gotta leave," then I think all the folks here would have departed smartly.

Hopefully Eds sorts it out and just goes with state law and allows legal carry.

Seabolt

Ada County. (now ogden, layton area), Idaho, USA
imported post

Wonder if i should let them know that i just spent $700 on a new 45acp from a OC friendly store, after learning thatJoeswas not OC friendly. Even though i was originally planning on purchasing from Joe's. And that i will now take my camping and other outdoor shopping elsewhere as well.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I normally purchase quite a bit of my outdoor equipment from them.

Cases of shotgun ammo, targets, clay pigeons, cleaning supplies. As well as barbecue equipment (including the barbecue itself), and camping equipment.

I also just bought my wife a new set of winter clothes from them from Marmot.

Maybe I can return everything now that I know where they stand.

:X

cwp

imported post

Seabolt wrote:
Wonder if i should let them know that i just spent $700 on a new 45acp from a OC friendly store, after learning thatJoeswas not OC friendly. Even though i was originally planning on purchasing from Joe's. And that i will now take my camping and other outdoor shopping elsewhere as well.
I let them know I didn't shop their store when I just bought a varmint rifle. I also let them know the reloading supplies (dies, powder, primers, brass, bullets) I bought went to a different store (actually bought some from both Cabela's and Sportsman's). I think you should let them know that you intended to shop with them, but decided not to even look in their store because of this policy.

I can't say that they would have gotten the business from me, but because of the policy, they didn't even have a chance to get it.

--Carl

Mainsail

imported post

cwp wrote:
Seabolt wrote:
I let them know I didn't shop their store when I just bought a varmint rifle. I also let them know the reloading supplies (dies, powder, primers, brass, bullets) I bought went to a different store (actually bought some from both Cabela's and Sportsman's). I think you should let them know that you intended to shop with them, but decided not to even look in their store because of this policy.

I can't say that they would have gotten the business from me, but because of the policy, they didn't even have a chance to get it.

--Carl
They get an email from me every time I buy something they sell someplace else. I'm going to send them one this week thanking them for their beautiful full color ads they put in the Sunday paper and mention how useful they are when price-matching at Sportsman's or Cabela's.

4liberty

imported post

New to this forum but very interested in OC/right to bear arms issues. I will not purchase anything from joes until this is resolved in favor of OC.

WCrawford

imported post

Saint wrote:
Mike wrote:
carracer wrote:
I would be interested to see this tape as well. When the incident that I posted here occurred, I was told that the no-OC policy was already in place so I don't know why they are now claiming it was due to an incident in Idaho.

I would caution anyone against saying that there were people touching their firearms or being confrontational until you have actually seen this supposed video. Most of the OCers I know are very respectful and would never place a hand on their weapon unless in the process of drawing to defend themselves.

You are assuming that the incident you posted about is the one that is the cause of the banning. It may be, but it is also possible that it isn't. Never assume. :)