• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judgement entered in favor of Wisconsin Carry v. City of Racine and 2 Racine Police Officers

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

professor gun wrote:
Dustiniac wrote:
I've got to say, "Master" Doug is a troll.
+1 on that observation.
LOL

Doug doesn't need anyone to defend him......but he's no troll. Visit the General discussion and open carry brigade sections for trolls. Doug's posts may come of as being contemptuous but there is usually value; if not on it's face, in between the lines.

To the subject at hand; great news, and thank you. I've been hoping for a case that was right to challenge the GFSZ law for a long time. Especially one that wouldn't put anyone in any danger of getting a felony. This seems like it's the one.

After reading the complaint, I'm going to selfishly believe the wording looks a lot like the wording I'd use to make myself feel important...............;):lol:

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
[align=left]DEFENDANTS CITY OF RACINE, SGT. NETHERY AND R. PRINCE’S[/align]
[align=left]RULE 68 OFFER OF JUDGMENT[/align]
[/font]
[align=left]______________________________________________________________________________[/align]
[align=left]The defendants, City of Racine, Sgt. Nethery and R. Prince, pursuant to Rule 68 of theFederal Rules of Civil Procedure, hereby formally serve upon plaintiffs, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock, a joint offer to allow judgment to be taken against them in the above referenced action in the total amount of $10,000.00, inclusive of costs and attorney’s fees. This offer is intended to resolve all claims, state and federal, arising from the incident which forms the basis for all claims by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock against the above three defendants. It must be accepted by both Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock in order for there to be a
valid acceptance. This offer is not an admission of liability on behalf of these defendants, and should not be construed as such.[/align]
[align=left]Pursuant to Rule 68, the plaintiffs have 14 days after service of this Offer of Judgment in which to provide the attorney for these defendants with written notice that the offer stated above is accepted. If this offer is not accepted, it shall be deemed withdrawn and evidence thereof is not admissible except in a proceeding to determine costs and/or attorney’s fees. Dated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this 25th day of February, 2010.[/align]
[align=left]GUNTA & REAK, S.C.[/align]
[align=left]Attorneys for Defendants City of Racine,[/align]
Sgt. Nethery and R. Prince

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I just read over the lawsuit again and was thinking, if the City of Racine accepted a judgement of 10K, then the City of Milwaukee should accept a judgement of nothing less the 50k. If you look at just how Frank got messed with compared to David, the City of Milwaukee should be paying out ALOT more than the City of Racine.

What do you think?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I just read over the lawsuit again and was thinking, if the City of Racine accepted a judgement of 10K, then the City of Milwaukee should accept a judgement of nothing less the 50k.
I think that Racine was the offeror and whose offer of a mere $10K was accepted. What was the alternative, to Racine or to Milwaukee?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
[font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"]
[/font]
[align=left][font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"]DEFENDANTS CITY OF RACINE, SGT. NETHERY AND R. PRINCE’S[/font][/align][font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"]
[/font]
[align=left][font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"]RULE 68 OFFER OF JUDGMENT[/font][/align][font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"][/font][font="TimesNewRoman,Bold"][/font]
[align=left]______________________________________________________________________________[/align]
[align=left]The defendants, City of Racine, Sgt. Nethery and R. Prince, pursuant to Rule 68 of theFederal Rules of Civil Procedure, hereby formally serve upon plaintiffs, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock, a joint offer to allow judgment to be taken against them in the above referenced action in the total amount of $10,000.00, inclusive of costs and attorney’s fees. This offer is intended to resolve all claims, state and federal, arising from the incident which forms the basis for all claims by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock against the above three defendants. It must be accepted by both Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and Frank Hannan-Rock in order for there to be a valid acceptance. This offer is not an admission of liability on behalf of these defendants, and should not be construed as such.[/align]
[align=left]Pursuant to Rule 68, the plaintiffs have 14 days after service of this Offer of Judgment in which to provide the attorney for these defendants with written notice that the offer stated above is accepted. If this offer is not accepted, it shall be deemed withdrawn and evidence thereof is not admissible except in a proceeding to determine costs and/or attorney’s fees. Dated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this 25th day of February, 2010.[/align]
[align=left]GUNTA & REAK, S.C.[/align]
[align=left]Attorneys for Defendants City of Racine,[/align]
Sgt. Nethery and R. Prince
If I understand this correctly, Frank and Wisconsin Carry accepted 10 Grand in exchange for dropping the charges. If the defendents weren't judged to be in the wrong, what has changed in Racine, besides 10 Grand going out of the city coffers?

Dave

hunter9mm

imported post

For just this portion of the issue, What's changed is...

Now they understand that IF they choose to continue the harassing of OC'ers it will continue to cost them money.

From that point forward it's up to the Police Department leadership to manage their officers how their financial folks see fit.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If I understand this correctly, Frank and Wisconsin Carry accepted 10 Grand in exchange for dropping the charges. If the defendents weren't judged to be in the wrong, what has changed in Racine, besides 10 Grand going out of the city coffers?

Hey Dave,

The "charges" were not dropped. This was not a settlement. The defendents WERE judged. A judgement was entered against them. That judgement is a matter of public record.

This is civil law, not criminal law, so to be precise, these aren't "charges" they are complaints that the plaintiffs (WCI and Frank Hannan-Rock) made against the defendants. We asked for damages. The court awarded damages have been awarded in favor of WCI and Frank Hannan-Rock and against the defendants, City of Racine and Officers Nethery and Prince.

Being civil law, the semantics aren't exactly the same as criminal law, but consider what Racine did as the criminal law equivalent of pleading "no contest". When you plead no contest you aren't admitting guilt, but you are saying "I know I will be found guilty, so I won't fight the charges" If Racine didn't think they did anything wrong, they would have fought the charges. If the case was frivolous, Racine could have just asked the Federal Judge to throw it out and the judge could have. Racine knows their officers broke the law. The Racine city attorney admits it in this article:

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/lo...cle_25295ce2-2acb-11df-bd14-001cc4c002e0.html

Attorney Kevin Reak, who represents the city in this matter, said officers didn't have authority to arrest Hannan-Rock for refusing to identify himself.

The attorney who represents the city ALSO goes on to admit that the reason Racine made an offer of judgement is because they were worried what they could lose if it went to trial:

Still, Reak said, the judgment does not admit any liability or guilt. It was about limiting the amount of money the city may have to pay if the case went to trial and was decided in Hannan-Rock's favor.

TRUE Racine does not admit guilt... But in that regard, thousands of people in this country in criminal court are found guilty every day and they NEVER admit guilt.

It doesn't matter if Racine admits guilt. A judgement was entered against them by the Federal Court. If we went to trial and Racine lost (which they would have) they STILL don't have to admit guilt. Think of how many criminals go to jail 'never' admitting guilt. (again, this is civil law, so the 'relief' sought was damages, not jail.

Going to trial would have meant more legal expense for WCI for a damage award that likely would have been around 10,000. You might note that in other states where people have sued for these kinds of things $10,000 was the damages awarded. I think Racine did some research and made that offer of judgement as a result.

Without getting too deep in the legal technicalities, there is liability for WCI if we were to refuse the rule 68 offer of judgement. If we went to trial and the damage award came in LESS than the offer of judgement racine made, WE (WCI) would have been responsible for their court costs. We would have had to pay them out of the damages we were awarded. In essence Racine could have said to the court "hey look, we offered them $10,000 in damages and they said no, now we spent all this money litigating and they only won $8,000, if they'd have taken our offer of damages of $10,000 we wouldn't have had to spend all this money to get to the same (or lesser) damage award by the court"

We have expert legal counsel in these matters. You can have confidence that our attorney has the best interest of Wisconsin Carry, our members, AND the true issue of citizens-rights and "right and wrong" in mind. Our attorney is on the governing board of Georgia Carry Inc. I am confident (this is my personal opinion) that he didn't take our case for money, as he probably will barely cover his expenses and time, he took our case because he believes in rights and freedoms also.

M

McX

imported post

so, me get's the feeling this was a political maneuver by the city, to get out before the supreme court, and milwaukee holds tough. this will be a battle to watch. barret name comes to mind.