• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June WAC gunshow

Dave Workman

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
About 10 years ago, maybe more, a group started collecting proxies from members to block vote against the good old boys in-charge and they won the first and second rounds until the board decide proxies were illegal. There had been nothing illegal before.  It was pure backroom bad politics at it's worse and that's when I started my move toward leaving WAC.

Good grief! There's maybe only one guy left on the board who was around then.
About 6 years ago, maybe 7, there was kind of a bloodless coup and most of those people on the board at the time you're complaining about got tossed.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
About 10 years ago, maybemore,a group started collecting proxies from members to block vote against the good old boys in-charge and theywon the first and second rounds until the board decide proxies were illegal. There had been nothing illegal before. It was pure backroom bad politics at it's worse and that's when I started my move toward leaving WAC.

Good grief! There's maybe only one guy left on the board who was around then.
About 6 years ago, maybe 7, there was kind of a bloodless coup and most of those people on the board at the time you're complaining about got tossed.
I left about a year before that then and until the gun situation changes I won't be back. Even back then they were talking about their own building to have their shows in, but I would assume that is farther out of reach now than then, whatwith inflation and all? I am old you know and have been around a long time.:D

44Brent

imported post

This message is to the fine folks who run WAC: You want a place to run a gun show? Here you go:

Seattle Center officials scramble to fill KeyArena dates - Seattle Center officials are scrambling to fill some of the 100 KeyArena dates that had been reserved for the 2008-09 Sonics season.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008033115_sonikeyarena04m.html

The SONICS have bailed out of Seattle, so make the City of Seattle an offer. Offer them cold hard cash to rent their arena. If they refuse your offer, run advertisements pointing out that they are turning down good money that could be used to fund things likle new sidewalks, road improvement, "green initiatives", funding improvements to the arena, or whatever else is on the city council's agenda.

No matter how Nickle's responds, he loses and gun owners win:

Scenario 1: Nickles' accepts the offer. Result: Nickles' loses his talking point on how "gun shows are baaaad".

Scenario 2: Nickles' rejects the offer. Nickles' loses his talking point about how the city is poor, has no money, and needs to raise taxes.

Win-win for gun owners.

Lose-lose for Nickles.

44Brent

imported post

I was very serious.

If I was running WAC I would be issuing press releases to highlight the fact that WAC wants to fill up some of the empty slots in the area. If the City of Seattle doesn't want the money, then I would send lobbyists down to the legislature when Nickles' begs for money to rennovate the arena, and point out that tax payers need not pay for the arena, when Nickles turned down perfectly good money from WAC.

If the city acts interested, you present them with a proposed contract that would be acceptable to all gun owners, including people on this forum. If Nickels kills any proposed contract, there's only one person that comes out all covered with poop, and that's Nickels.

There's zero downside to risk to gunowners. It gets even better, since Nickels is trying to ban guns on city property with his fake executive orders.

jbone

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
About the only "crime" in any gun show I've ever attended is the ridiculously high prices some people think they can charge for beat-up used guns.

Another good reason not to attend I guess, outrageous $$$$$$$'sonthe vendor tables. Glad Ibought at Kesselring’s with the LEO discount for being active duty. Even the Discount Guns table had the same guns as the Everett Store with jacked up prices. Asked DG's for any kind of discount and I got the deer-in the headlight's look" and I think the move-on wave of the hand.

I week or so prior to the WAC show I happen to have attended I was looking up gun shops off the internets Gun Locator website, I printed directions and off I went. Got to the location knocked but no answer, saw a person inside moving about, as I made my way back to the car a man came out, I told I had an antique S&W I was looking for info on. He told me he was out of business and went back inside.

Now I’m at the WAC show and on my way out; heading down the last row towards the exit and notice a vendor’s table marked “Rick’s Classic Firearms”, I was very bewildered, it was the same man of the place I had stopped at weeks before. Could this WAC job have just told me he closed up the shop but would still be found at the WAC shows? I forget, not a member and couldn’t bring my Late 1880’s Third of Forth Model in, It may hurt someone (if I any had ammo for it, and the nads to shoot it).

Just whiningaboutmy experience in part at the WAC.

just_a_car

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Brent:

Please be serious.
Honestly, Dave... Brent's proposal doesn't sound all that crazy. Actually, sounds like a great idea. It would be nice not to have to drive for over an hour just to go to a gun show.

44Brent

imported post

It would be nice not to have to drive for over an hour just to go to a gun show.

Justacar, I cannot see a scenario under which Nickle's would voluntarily agree to allow gun shows in Key arena. Let's assume that the stars line up, he has too many beers, and he drops his ideological crusade just long enough to allow a contract to be signed. What effect would this have on his career? It would cause a rift between him and all five of his allies who are dedicated to ending private ownership of firearms. To them, he would be seen as an untrustworthy, craven, money-grubbing politician who is willing to do anything for a buck.

That's what I love about this idea, it puts Nickels in a box, and there's no way he can come out unscathed.