• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my Utah CPL

Jeff Hayes

Well, I am 2 for 4. My 1851 Navy was rather inexpensive and made in Italy. It is very safe and very surprisingly accurate!

That instructor was a piece of work, he was also the manager of the Ventura CA police pistol range. He may have still been upset because I caught a bird of paradise plant on fire with my replica Colt Walker a few weeks prior to taking the class. Because I was shooting a muzzle loader he put me on the end lane, the plant was growing about 10 feet down range up against a masonery wall and was the only living thing besides grass forward of the shooting line until it caught on fire.

Back on topic kinda, this guy was a great example of teaching his opinion rather than facts.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Well, I am 2 for 4. My 1851 Navy was rather inexpensive and made in Italy. It is very safe and very surprisingly accurate!

Hmmm.......My 1851 confederate clones were made in the good 'ol USA. Some Uberti imported parts, US made Frames, and assembled in Hamden, CT. Not sure about original cost, but one apparently was a Commemorative. I would love to shoot them but my indoor range won't let me.
( something mumbled about catching targets on fire.....)

Maybe I need to come up North and we can have a little Union and Confederate competition between ourselves. :monkey

[my apologies for a slightly OT post]

Trigger Dr

Ask them for their credentials. All NRA instructors, RSO's,etc have credentials issued to them once they have qualified in their particular discipline. Then notify NRA.

Last edited:

amlevin

I bet 75% of the concealed carry public do not know what to do when confronted by a threat beyond draw and pull the trigger. Most of the general public who have a CCW or CPL think any self defense shooting is justified in their mind and will never see the inside of a jail cell. I am willing to bet 100% of them would be wrong.

And a 4, 6, or 8 hour class is going to change this, how? Considering the amount of "War Stories" and extraneous material discussed in many of these classes the actual teaching time is reduced to much less than what's necessary to actually get the brain into learning mode.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While I agree that such a course should NOT be required by law, I live where it is. I also teach these courses. I can tell you that many people express how glad they are to know the information we teach.

So, the obvious answer is to make such REAL KNOWLEDGE about laws and firearms (you know, EVERYDAY items) just as much a part of school curriculum as readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmetic. But then, I've felt that way about my trade as an electrician, too. I've seen so many people dangerously ignorant about the electrical system that is a part of every home in America. How are the basics of stuff like that not something to teach in school?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
While I agree that such a course should NOT be required by law, I live where it is. I also teach these courses. I can tell you that many people express how glad they are to know the information we teach.

So, the obvious answer is to make such REAL KNOWLEDGE about laws and firearms (you know, EVERYDAY items) just as much a part of school curriculum as readin', 'ritin', and 'rithmetic. But then, I've felt that way about my trade as an electrician, too. I've seen so many people dangerously ignorant about the electrical system that is a part of every home in America. How are the basics of stuff like that not something to teach in school?

I would love to see a series of firearms and self-defense classes as electives in middle and high school.

Dave_pro2a

I would love to see a series of firearms and self-defense classes as electives in middle and high school.

IMHO, allowing the government to control education is part of the reason the country is where it's at. So +1 to NacyLCDR, the gov would really screw it up.

The only problem with that is that the classes would almost be guaranteed to be slanted towards views held by the government.

Last edited: