• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kalamazoo Long Gun OC Event

T Vance

imported post

I believe it does. Not positive though, but rmember in older discusions that was the conclusion that some came to. If that is truely the case then as long as you have a small game license you good to carry a long arm all year round.

EM87

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I believe it does. Not positive though, but rmember in older discusions that was the conclusion that some came to. If that is truely the case then as long as you have a small game license you good to carry a long arm all year round.

Almost.

You need a deer permit during deer season, no matter where you carry.

You need a small game license if you are in an area frequented by wildlife. (Which could be anywhere... so get one.)

I'll post a more informative link in a sec.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i personally think that you wouldnt need a deer permit during deer season if not loaded or loaded with birdshot,as small game is still open during deer season.

EM87

imported post

This was taken from a thread over at MGO:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49955

Originally Posted by white1200c
Well presumably you would have a hunting license would that make a difference? So you are saying since you can hunt with a long gun, you can walk the street with one? loaded?.....Not arguing with you, as I believe OC of a long gun to be even more legitimate than OC of a handgun at least as far as the laws go....or lack there of. But it seems like there should be an answer to this question. Maybe it is as simple as the OC opinions for handguns...no law against so it's all good?. That would be fine by me but someone has had to have posed this question before and I would like some clarification, if possible.

Originally Posted by ZigZiggityZoo
Let's see if we can't do this. The only relevant law I've found:

Quote:
324.43511 Deer or elk season; transporting or possessing shotgun or rifle; license required; exception.
Sec. 43511.

(1) Subject to subsection (2), and except as provided in section 43513, during the open season for the taking of deer or elk with a firearm, a person shall not transport or possess a shotgun with buckshot, slug load, ball load, or cut shell or a rifle other than a .22 caliber rim fire, unless the person has in his or her possession a license to hunt deer or elk with a firearm.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply during muzzle-loading deer season.

and

Quote:
324.43510 Carrying or transporting firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow or trap; license required; exception; applicability to taking of wild animal.
Sec. 43510.

(1) Subject to subsection (2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or transport a firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or a trap while in any area frequented by wild animals unless that person has in his or her possession a license as required under this part.

(2) This act or a rule promulgated or order issued by the department or the commission under this act shall not be construed to prohibit a person from transporting a pistol or carrying a loaded pistol, whether concealed or not, if either of the following applies:

(a) The person has in his or her possession a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435.

(b) The person is authorized under the circumstances to carry a concealed pistol without obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, as provided for under any of the following:

(i) Section 12a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.432a.

(ii) Section 227, 227a, 231, or 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.227, 750.227a, 750.231, and 750.231a.

(3) Subsection (2) does not authorize an individual to take or attempt to take a wild animal except as provided by law.

Quote:
24.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
Sec. 43513.

(1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

(2) Regardless of whether the person has a license or it is open season for the taking of game, a person may carry, transport, possess or discharge a firearm, a bow and arrow, or a crossbow if all of the following apply:

(a) The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in 1 or more of the following activities:

(i) Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets.

(ii) Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap.

(iii) Sighting-in the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.

(b) The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, either of the following:

(i) The owner of the property on which the activity under subdivision (a) is taking place.

(ii) The lessee of that property for a term of not less than 1 year.

(c) The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the activity under subdivision (a).

(3) A person may carry or possess an unloaded weapon at any time if the person is traveling to or from or participating in a historical reenactment.

The first clearly only applies during deer season, and only to non-.22LR rifles and shotguns with buck/slug/ball loads. Any other long arm is fine. Any other time of the year is also fine.

The second only applies in a place that is frequented by wildlife. You must comply with this one unless you're carrying in a way that complies with the Third.

The third requires that your gun be taken down, OR that you be going to or from a reenactment, OR that you be engaging in target practice, sighting in, etc.

What the law boils down to is this:

- Outside of Deer Season, in areas that aren't frequented by wildlife, you may OC your long arm legally.
- During Deer Season, you need a deer hunting license.
- In areas that are frequented by wildlife, you need any hunting license, or need to be performing target practice.

EDIT: forgot to include the section cited in my second reference.

T Vance

imported post

EM87 wrote:
T Vance wrote:

Almost.

You need a small game license if you are in an area frequented by wildlife. (Which could be anywhere... so get one.)

Like Freak said, I don't think you would need a Deer Hunting permit during deer season since small game is allowed year round; even during deer hunting season.

Something to keep in mind though, and again I'm not positive if this would hold water, but I was told by DNR that you cannot have a rifle in the shotgun zone during deer hunting season on state land (I'm not sure about private, but I doubt they could do anything about that legally as long as you aren't trying to take a deer). If this is true, then could OCing a rifle during deer season in public get you into trouble?

EM87

imported post

T Vance wrote:
EM87 wrote:
T Vance wrote:

Almost.

Like Freak said, I don't think you would need a Deer Hunting permit during deer season since small game is allowed year round; even during deer hunting season.

Something to keep in mind though, and again I'm not positive if this would hold water, but I was told by DNR that you cannot have a rifle in the shotgun zone during deer hunting season on state land (I'm not sure about private, but I doubt they could do anything about that legally as long as you aren't trying to take a deer). If this is true, then could OCing a rifle during deer season in public get you into trouble?

Check out the thread I just linked. You need a deer license during deer season regardless of where you are.

EM87

imported post

I have decided that I am no longer going to organize this event. I feel that the negative reaction at this time is too great.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

EM87 wrote:
I have decided that I am no longer going to organize this event. I feel that the negative reaction at this time is too great.
Sounds like a good decision, EM87.

office888

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I'm still up for it.
Same.

Sometime in the not-too-distant future when it warms up a little bit.

That should also give people enough time to cool down about this whole little fiasco that's getting blown completely out of proportion...

-Richard-

Michigander

imported post

Historically, in this group, long arm OC has not been much of a problem for outdoor events in public areas. If I was going to set up a long gun meeting, it would probably be during the warmer months in a well selected park.

office888

imported post

HankT wrote:
office888 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
I'm still up for it.
Same.

Sometime in the not-too-distant future when it warms up a little bit.

Ahh, the stalling stage of the typical OCDO rifle OC publicmarch planning.... ;)
KeeponTrollin.jpg

Some of us like to pre-plan things out before we call them "official". Investigate park-sites, make sure there's enough parking, make sure there's enough interest, etc. :D

-Richard-

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

office888 wrote:
Some of us like to pre-plan things out before we call them "official". Investigate park-sites, make sure there's enough parking, make sure there's enough interest, etc. :D

You're really ....thinking that parking ...would be a problem for the Kalamazoo stroll?

Why, I'm not sure that optimism is the, um, right word....

office888

imported post

HankT wrote:
office888 wrote:

You're really ....thinking that parking ...would be a problem for the Kalamazoo stroll?

Why, I'm not sure that optimism is the, um, right word....
trollspray.jpg

Some people like to know if they have to pay to park. There isn't always parking available (construction, etc).

-Richard-

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

I'm playing fill in Sargent at Arms for a moment..

The management of this website (opencarry.org) has requested that we not discuss long-gun OC here. Being that this website belongs to them (their private property, essentially) - I respectfully request that the long-gun topics be dropped.

Weather you agree, disagree or have no opinion on long gun carry, it is irrelevant here. We are in the home of another (while on this website) and we must respect their wishes.

Any discussion of long gun carry, plans for long gun carry events, etc should be taken off of this site from here on out.

G

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
The President of MOC is aware of and in support of the temporary 'stepping up' in this matter.
I call BS

I doubt that anyone at MOC would let you tie them up to get that job!!!