• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Kroger

KATU Newsdesk

Wife says all it was.. Was an email telling all the store managers and department managers OC is legal and allowed in Fred Meyers as they do not discriminate patrons..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Hi Matt-

Nick Bradshaw from KATU TV here. I'm in charge of the newsdesk here at the station. I would love to talk with you a bit more about your decision to open carry over the past few days as it has become quite a point of confusion for a lot of people. We are not by any means looking to vilify you. I want our story to be fair and balanced and in order to do that I think it's important we talk with you. Is there a number where I can reach you or can you give me a call here at the station? Thank you very much.

Nick Bradshaw | Assignment Manager
KATU TV
Portland, Oregon | 503-231-4264
nbradshaw@katu.com |

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi Matt-

Nick Bradshaw from KATU TV here. I'm in charge of the newsdesk here at the station. I would love to talk with you a bit more about your decision to open carry over the past few days as it has become quite a point of confusion for a lot of people. We are not by any means looking to vilify you. I want our story to be fair and balanced and in order to do that I think it's important we talk with you. Is there a number where I can reach you or can you give me a call here at the station? Thank you very much.

KATU TV
nbradshaw@katu.com |

Welcome to OCDO Nick.

I would encourage people to meet with you and discuss the generalities of open carry and to answer any specific questions you might have.

Our primary thrust here is to promote and defend the open carry of handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives. The fact that it is legal isn't the point - we would not do it if it were not. We respect the rights of others and only ask that in return.

Let us know how any meetings/interviews go and when the results might be viewed.

Sir Diealotz

Welcome to OCDO Nick.

I would encourage people to meet with you and discuss the generalities of open carry and to answer any specific questions you might have.

Our primary thrust here is to promote and defend the open carry of handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives. The fact that it is legal isn't the point - we would not do it if it were not. We respect the rights of others and only ask that in return.

Let us know how any meetings/interviews go and when the results might be viewed.

Why would an Oregon TV news affiliate be interested in a Louisville Ky Kroger Open Carry incident that didn't even make local news/tv?

Just wondering....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why would an Oregon TV news affiliate be interested in a Louisville Ky Kroger Open Carry incident that didn't even make local news/tv?

Just wondering....

The interest in OC is accelerating. The lack of good definitive information for the general public (those not involved) will remain low unless we go the extra mile to educate and inform.

Personally, I've never looked a gift horse in the mouth - think that any publicity is good, even the biased ones. People are seeing through the smoke and mirrors of negativity.

As to why the Oregon to Kentuky connection, maybe he will answer that. Frankly I missed it. :(

eye95

There is no middle ground in this fight, Eye. If Starbucks was not an ally, they would say outright "no firearms permitted".
As I have argued with you guys before, a business can be an ally and still say "no firearms allowed". If you wanna pick a fight over the Constitutionality, find a place that was built and run by taxpayer dollars. A private business, though publicly accessible, is still private property. If you cannot respect that, how can you expect them to respect you?

There is a middle ground, and it is that middle ground that I expect from businesses: No expressed opinion on firearms at all.

If a business says "No Firearms," by definition, they are an enemy.

I am the wrong person to argue with over private property rights. I respect them unequivocally. Every property owner should have the right to prohibit carry. To force them to accept carry is to violate THEIR rights.

Starbucks has made it clear that my firearm is "not welcome," therefore I am not welcome. Period. They never were an ally. They are no longer neutral. They are an enemy of carry. Feel free to believe otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

b0neZ

Hi Matt-

KATU TV
nbradshaw@katu.com |

Just wondering....

The interest in OC is accelerating. The lack of good definitive information for the general public (those not involved) will remain low unless we go the extra mile to educate and inform.

Personally, I've never looked a gift horse in the mouth - think that any publicity is good, even the biased ones. People are seeing through the smoke and mirrors of negativity.

As to why the Oregon to Kentuky connection, maybe he will answer that. Frankly I missed it. :(

It appears that the Assignment Manager is attempting to contact Matt, who is from Oregon.

How/Why the contact in a KY thread? Not certain, but it could be that that this guy was gathering story leads, happened along this thread, found a post relevant to his news piece, and decided to ask the author of said post for more info.

KATU Newsdesk

Welcome to OCDO Nick.

Thank you for the welcome. We are very aware that we have a diverse audience with all sorts of different beliefs and viewpoints. It's my job to seek out and present those varying viewpoints on every story we do so our viewers can see both sides of any given topic. Today's story on open carrying is no different. We did end up interviewing Mattimusmaximus today and it went very well. I would encourage everyone on here to reserve any judgment of our coverage before actually watching tonight's story. If you are interested you can even see it live. We stream our newscasts at 4pm, 4:30pm, 5pm, and 6pm, and 6:30pm PST. The more in-depth story will air at 6pm. I'm not trying to draw people away from this forum by any means but I would also like to invite you to join the conversation on our our website, Facebook page or on our Twitter Page. The updated story will be on our website later this afternoon. Thank you again.

Sir Diealotz

eye95

People we need some logical comments here: http://www.katu.com/news/local/Carr...nt-work-out-quite-as-man-hoped-224634911.html

It is hard to get these people posting at this news channel's website to open their minds and allow a little logic to get in, but we need to try.

These days, carry should make a point, but not be done just for the purpose of making a point. He was not carrying the shotgun for any other purpose other than to be noticed carrying a shotgun. And he was noticed in a way that hurts the cause he purports to be promoting.

I carry for self-defense. I OC for several reasons: ease of use, no license yet in Ohio, deterrence, and to renormalize the sight of a routinely carried handgun. Making the point about the 2A is in there, but it is not THE reason I carry. It seems to be THE reason this person carried his shotgun. That does not help. It hurts.

Anyway, the school's new policy is stupid. Lockdown? Really? Every time a gun is seen off-campus???

It is the same old hoplophobia. However, this case illustrates, yet again, that when we go overboard, trying to move the country in one direction, backlash takes it in the exact opposite direction.

Carry on, but carry smart.

<o>

DrakeZ07

These days, carry should make a point, but not be done just for the purpose of making a point. He was not carrying the shotgun for any other purpose other than to be noticed carrying a shotgun. And he was noticed in a way that hurts the cause he purports to be promoting.

I carry for self-defense. I OC for several reasons: ease of use, no license yet in Ohio, deterrence, and to renormalize the sight of a routinely carried handgun. Making the point about the 2A is in there, but it is not THE reason I carry. It seems to be THE reason this person carried his shotgun. That does not help. It hurts.

Anyway, the school's new policy is stupid. Lockdown? Really? Every time a gun is seen off-campus???

It is the same old hoplophobia. However, this case illustrates, yet again, that when we go overboard, trying to move the country in one direction, backlash takes it in the exact opposite direction.

Carry on, but carry smart.

<o>

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm terribly sorry, but, can you help me by pointing out where it is stated that a Citizen must have a reason and a purpose, to exercise their right to bear arms? And, how exactly, and constitutionally speaking, is it a bad thing to carry any sort of legal weapon, for personal reasons, both substantiated, and not, that purportedly harms our 'cause' to promote Open Carry, the Second Amendment, the First Amendment (as you cannot exercise the second, without the first), and the Gun owner community at-large?

I don't know much of anything regarding Oregon, or the consequences of Matt's carrying openly there. But, in states where Open Carry of a firearm is constitutionally protected, e.g., Kentucky, for example, A citizen who is not already disqualified by felonious crimes, or mental deficiency, needs no reason, purpose, or second-thought to exercise their right. And, I would argue that, there is no purpose, reason, or intent needed to exercise our right to free speech, or to follow any religion, or lack thereof, that we wish, and we don't need a reason to refuse to quarter troops in our homes... So, why all of a sudden, does the right to carry, come with an exception? "You have a right to carry firearms, except when you do it just because you want/can, and have no sufficient reason, and where it can be seen as an act that is a detriment to the gun owner, and gun carry, communities."

I wholeheartedly support the dude that OC'd a shotty, and would happily buy him a beer, and a pack of smokes.

**I don't know the laws, and legalities surrounding the implications of carrying a shotgun openly in Hillsboro, or where ever Mattmaxximus carried, in Oregon; But, I speak on a federal constitutional basis, with a dabble into my own state's constitutional facts.**

eye95

You should get out a dictionary and look up the word "should." Then you should look up "must."

If you can demonstrate that you understand the semantic difference between these two words and can properly decode statements using the word "should," I will be happy to continue this conversation. Otherwise, moving on.

<o>

Greg5269

Greetings from Bullitt County! On the note of the Kroger post, both the Shepherdsville and Valley Station locations are very OC friendly! I was approached by a manager in VS. He asked me what I was carrying and I told him a Glock and asked him if there was a store policy against it. He said "Hell no! I wouldn't ask you to leave even if we did, I just have one question. What's a man your size need a gun for? Just looking at you people are going to think twice!" I told him that being this big gives them a bigger target to hit and fat people don't run that fast! If someone was going to rob me or hurt my family, they were going to die because cop don't show up until AFTER the crime. He laughed, shook my hand, told me OC was always welcome in his store and walked away!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Greetings from Bullitt County! On the note of the Kroger post, both the Shepherdsville and Valley Station locations are very OC friendly! I was approached by a manager in VS. He asked me what I was carrying and I told him a Glock and asked him if there was a store policy against it. He said "Hell no! I wouldn't ask you to leave even if we did, I just have one question. What's a man your size need a gun for? Just looking at you people are going to think twice!" I told him that being this big gives them a bigger target to hit and fat people don't run that fast! If someone was going to rob me or hurt my family, they were going to die because cop don't show up until AFTER the crime. He laughed, shook my hand, told me OC was always welcome in his store and walked away!

Welcome to the forum Greg. I'm glad you have decided to carry. I have realized by dealing with numerous physical altercations over this past year that size really isn't the most important aspect to hurting someone. Regardless of someone's size they should always carry a firearm for self-defense -- preferably two. Welcome, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Hello all, not to Necro an aging thread, but since this is the first time in awhile I've actually had time to sit down and catch up on my internet activities I figured I would post an update to this.

To spare you all the numerous details the summary of the outcome is as follows.

I have spoken to Kroger Corporate both by e-mail and by phone. Long story short, the management staff of the store as been reprimanded, they affirmed that they do not have any policy allowing for me to be kicked out based on the lawful carry of my firearm, assured me that it should not happen again, and that I should inform them if the incident were to repeat itself.

So even if they were merely offering platitudes, Kroger Corporate at least stated quite implicitly that they do not have a problem with carry in their stores, and apologized for the incident.
Who did you contact/who contacted you?

It's happened again - to me, today: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...quot-Can-I-ask-you-to-leave-that-outside-quot