• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

@^*&$##* kids

Neplusultra

imported post

skidmark wrote:
I'll give the kid credit - it was not turned "gangsta style".

I'm not sure I want to take this kid under my wing and teach him about guns.
I hear a secret cry to connect with this wayward child, perhaps he's like your inner child skidmark? BTW, is that tire skidmarks or underwear skidmarks :^)? Anyhow, don't pass up the chance to teach someone about guns. His parents may well be next in line. I would definately include a part where you show him how a watermelon blows apart with a hollow point. Just make sure he understands he doesn't want that to accidentally happen to someone he knows. Guns are serious business, fun business, but serious business nevertheless.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
skidmark wrote:
I'll give the kid credit - it was not turned "gangsta style".

I'm not sure I want to take this kid under my wing and teach him about guns.
I hear a secret cry to connect with this wayward child, perhaps he's like your inner child skidmark? BTW, is that tire skidmarks or underwear skidmarks :^)? Anyhow, don't pass up the chance to teach someone about guns. His parents may well be next in line. I would definately include a part where you show him how a watermelon blows apart with a hollow point. Just make sure he understands he doesn't want that to accidentally happen to someone he knows. Guns are serious business, fun business, but serious business nevertheless.

The only "secret cry to connect with this wayward child" is to move his butt hole to within an inch of his tonsils, more or less.

My inner child learned a long time ago, without the drama, how not to try to get killed playing around with dangerous tools or dangerous people.

As for the name - got it years ago on the job when someone said thery could always tell where I had been because there were heel marks on the floor where someone had pulled up real short after I had asked another impertinent questiuon. (Used to investigate claims of violation of policy/procedure within a state government agency.) Which I guess is fair warning to all - I do not suffer stupidity well at all. Act like you are and I will do my darndest to allow you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you in fact are.

stay safe.

skidmark

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
jack wrote:
I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. .

Therein lies the difference. Plain and simple. The key is the appearance of fantasy verses a realistic gun that the kid wants to or does believe is real.

I had a Paladin gun set when I was a kid. We lived in rural N.C. so there was no chance of fooling any one with a Paladin set. Different time, in the late 1950s. Not like today.

I have corrected children with toy guns. I have said, "do not point that at me," and "you're supposed to point that in a safe direction." Then I get, "well it's a toy." Then I say something like, "practice doing this the right way, picking up your fake gun the correct way, and pointing it in a safe direction."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You gottawonder about the kid that stays there with the weapon even as the cops roll up and do the whole cover-behind-the-door-with-weapons-at-the-ready thing.

Is this one of those kids who even at that age has ice-water in his veins?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Hey, he was just an ignorant kid doing what kids do out playing. He just needs some instruction/education...give him a break.

And as for Hollywood, most stupid/ignorant ADULTS (i.e., the average American), let alone kids, get their "education" that way -- from TV and the movies.

-- John D.

DeadCenter

imported post

jack wrote:
When I was 4-5 years old, these cops would drive by every afternoon. If I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. I would drawl both and open up on them. They would shoot back with their " finger guns " and laugh.

Life sure has changed .

Is sure has -- and more BS is coming with the new pres.

DC

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jack wrote:
When I was 4-5 years old, these cops would drive by every afternoon. If I was wearing my twin Perl handled (plastic) six shooters, my long ranger hat and mask we would have a shoot out. I would drawl both and open up on them. They would shoot back with their " finger guns " and laugh.

Life sure has changed .
Sure has and not for the better. I think a lot of us need to cut back on the coffee or stop watching so many movies!

tarzan1888

imported post

My dad must have been related to Skidmark.

One evening I was playing with my new cap pistol.

I pointed it at my sister and pulled the trigger.

My dad saw me and I quickly learned rules 1 and 2.

My dad came down on me like ugly on an ape.

I learned my lesson well.

Remember that quote from Cool Hand Luke; "What we have here is failure to communicate."

The main problem in the world, and with the child that is the subject of this thread, is as follows;

What we have here is failure in the Family.

Tarzan

Spectre

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Half of me wants to over to his apartment later tonight and move his backside to within an inch of his tonsils. Half of me wants to do that to his parent(s). And the third half of me wants to adjust the attitude of the kid and parent(s) simultaneously.
I feel the same way. It's a shame that a lot of parents are afraid to discipline their children for fear that the Fascists in Social Services will take their children away because of "physical abuse".

eyesopened

imported post

Why would youngsters respect an authority figure, when growing up they had the knowledge that they could call Child Protective Services if their parents "got out of line?"

Neplusultra

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Why would youngsters respect an authority figure, when growing up they had the knowledge that they could call Child Protective Services if their parents "got out of line?"
Ha! In the Old Testament times it was a capital crime to shake your fist at your parents :^). Times change.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SNIP In the Old Testament times it was a capital crime to shake your fist at your parents :^). Times change.

Nothing like a Biblical precedent for the old phrase, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out." :)

Negotiating position, negotiating position.

FightingGlock19

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
hlh wrote:
They just gotta outlaw kids and squirt guns!! :cuss::celebrate
No, they need to teach parents that realistic looking toy guns are dangerous, as there are adults in this world who REALLY do not having a gun pointed at them. In this situation, the parents are at fault. I don't think anything should be "outlawed," but I do believe that responsible parents shouldn't be buying their kids toy guns that look real.

I grew up playing war w/real looking toy M-16's There's nothing wrong with kids playing with 'em, it's just how they play with 'em.

Hell, my step-boys haveblue guns to use around the house.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I personally see it as a shift in culture. When you, or anyone else, went out into the world, there was an easily discernable distinction between the "toys" and the real thing. Plus, I doubt that the majority of children would even have access to anything that resembled your toy M16. However, in today's culture, children are bombarded with images of gun violence that makes it look "cool" to have a gun. This, coupled with the increasing level of irresponsibility of parents is enough to make skidmark's reaction reasonable.

Here's a story, from my own childhood, related to this and the consequences it had on my family:

When I was about 4 or 5, I wanted to be a policeman for Halloween. Myparents took me to Wal Mart and I picked out a nifty little blue costume that came with a duty belt, a nightstick, a walkie-talkie, and a little orange toy j-frame. I kept the toy gun, but the costume got lost somewhere. Anyway, one day, for some reason, I thought it would be cool to "pretend" to shoot myself in the head with the gun. Probably something I had seen on TV, or in a movie or something (remember, in the '90s we didn't have parental blocks and cable was in every room!). Fortunately, my mother happened to walk in right about the time I pulled the trigger. She freaked! and understandably so.

After this incident, my mother, who was working as an armed cashier/secretary at a local auto-shop, quit her job to go work at the carpet plant in the neighboring town. Why? She was so terrified by what she had witnessed that she wanted to sell her .380 so it wouldn't be in the house with me. My father, a member of the Sheriff's Posse, and an auxiliary police officer, gave me a very stern lecture, and bought a gun safe for all of his weapons (which had formerly been stashed away in the back of the closet (long guns) and on a top shelf in the closet (handguns), both out of my and my sister's reach). This one incident, an innocent mimicking of something a young child saw on television, shook my family to the core. It changed everything that my parents thought about kids and guns.

The unfortunate thing is, that there are kids all over the country standing in the corners of their rooms, pretending to blow their heads off, shoot their siblings, or whatever, and their parents either DON'T catch them doing it, or know about it and think it's innocent child's play. What happens when these kids, who are allowed to play with toy replicas of real guns, stumble across the .380 in Mommy's purse, or the .357 Dad keeps in the drawer in the den? Because they've been allowed to play with "harmless" toys with no instruction about the REAL dangers of guns, the outcome can very well be tragic. Children don't have fully developed cognitive maps. They do not understand the dangers of the world, and their parents aren't teaching them.

Bubba Ron

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
....children are bombarded with images of gun violence....
This is NOT meant to be a poke at vmathis12019, he adds considerably to these discussions and I appreciate his views.

However, I hope we can all stop using the anti'sterm "gun violence". What is "gun violence"? My guns are not violent.

When someonekills another while driving a car it's never called"car violence"?

Or when a child is stabbed to deathit's never labelled"knife violence"?

Again, I'm not pointing fingers, we all are probablyguilty of this at some time or another - I sure am,it just hit me while I was reading this post and I thought I'd bring it up for everyones consideration....

unrequited

imported post

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=entertech+commercial

I LOVED these waterguns when I was a kid. Now? I would never buy a kid one. I even had a full weight ring-cap revolver which looked exactly like my dad's 38 special snub-nose. It was die-cast metal with a spinning cylinder and all. It was a present from my Grandfather, and my father had it in his gunsafe with all his "grown-up" guns. I was pretty upset back then not understanding why I couldn't play with it without his permission, but I understand 100% now.

KBCraig

imported post

I don't buy toy guns for my kids; they all have real guns, but no toy guns. (Yeah, I burned up many rolls of those acrid red paper "caps" as a kid, but back then, people didn't shoot back at 6 year olds with Roy Rogers cap guns.)

A couple of years ago, my youngest (now 5) somehow acquired a neon green and orange squirt gun. We tried to let it slide, so long as he followed the same rules he'd memorized as a 3 year old before getting his .22 Crickett: "Never point guns at people or pets. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot the target. Guns can be very dangerous."

Then he got it into his head to start "shooting" both people and pets. After about 3 warnings, I took it away and stomped it to smithereens. Made him pick up the pieces and throw them in the trash. Maybe that's rough for a 3 year old, but he won't even point a finger gun now, and he's very safety conscious with real guns.