• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife Carry Laws

JustaShooter

Thanks for that - it appears to be settled in Nevada in a way that benefits the carrier. I've been doing some research and most other (non-legal) opinions I've found seem to go the other way, most notably the American Knife & Tool Institute (often referenced by other sources) http://www.akti.org/resources/akti-protocol-for-measuring-knife-blade-length which says
Where a statute, regulation or ordinance refers to knife blade length, the measurement shall be the straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

CE310QT

Haven't seen anything that prohibits the OPEN CARRY of a knife of any length or type though... Thoughts?

What ordnance if any can prevent me from strapping on a 48" Scottish claymore? Results of my study: NONE. So what are we worried about? We're already OCing guns, why not just strap a GI KBAR on too?

mp06011999

Haven't seen anything that prohibits the OPEN CARRY of a knife of any length or type though... Thoughts?

What ordnance if any can prevent me from strapping on a 48" Scottish claymore? Results of my study: NONE. So what are we worried about? We're already OCing guns, why not just strap a GI KBAR on too?

POST DELETED because I was WRONG.

Last edited:

mp06011999

Don't take this wrong, but some of you seem to be making this more difficult than it needs to be. Between all the laws & case laws in the links already listed throughout this thread, it seems pretty simple to me to understand what is and is not legal. Or to put it in real world terms, what will and will not get you in trouble with the law.

I don't wanna beat a dead horse by repeating myself so just browse back through the thread. You'll see the links and after visiting them, should get a pretty good idea of what would be considered acceptable. But of course it will always come down to just how crafty and influential your lawyer will be.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful here and I really hope no one takes it that way. I'm just saying that if you're still unclear at this point I think a re-read of the info and links listed before would clear that up.

mp06011999

Correction.

Nope, Nope, Nope, you're right. I'm wrong. I missed the OPEN carry part and got confused myself. :p

Open carry anything, pretty much. Sorry about that. I visit too many discussion forums and got mixed up. My bad.

And since I don't plan to carry a sword or such, I lost track of what is and isn't... Thanks for checking me.

....And just another argument against "concealed carry" laws. Making a different set of rules for concealed and open just confuses the issue. How a thin piece of cloth can make you guilty of a felony....:confused:

Last edited:

chrsjhnsn

I've open carried a bowie and a glock and had zero problems with washoe county sherrif - I have not tried that in Reno though.
I've had a few friendly and not so friendly encounters with RPD but they have never bothered me about my knives.