• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

Wolf1477

I just carry my same ol' same ol'. Gerber spring assist. Use it for everything. Judging by the gashes it gives me when my hand slips opening a CD jewel case I'm sure it'd be suitable for SD<g>

Badger Johnson

To the poster who seemed to indicate that carrying three knives was a substitute for carrying a HG. Have you ever tested your deployment using a training knife?

Do you think pulling a knife is a deterrent to a predator? What would you do with the knife once opened - i.e. any skill in the snakey stick range?

One thing that is a bit daunting to me is that society seems to frown more heavily on someone who used a blade to carve someone up than someone who simply shot the attacker. Another way to put it is that drawing a HG to low ready and backing up is still a threat. To threaten with a knife you have to advance with some intent.

$.02

MR Redenck

Seriously? What's their reason behind that one?

Glad you asked. I even called the SA city council and the PD's weapons investigator.
I asked the same question, WHAT REASON??!!
First, I wanted to know why I couldnt carry a " Safe" locking blade knife. Locking blades save fingers and are pretty much a standard for a man now day's.
Second, I also addressed their ordinance against loaded rifles. Texas has preemption of ALL gun laws. Rifles, loaded or unloaded, are not restricted by carry.
I spent a whole day discussing these issues with both the PD and the city managment. I never got a intelligent answer. The PD actually told me the rifle and knife ordinance "Isn't enforced upon everyone"... MmmK?
The reason for this BS was mostly gang related they said. " The problem I have with their gang reasoning, is it's already against the law for a gang member to carry any kind of weapon". Their ordinances only effect honest law abiding citizens! The SA PD makes out like their just trying to focus on the gangs so they can help the good guys! " That's a load of crap". Their PD has no respect for anyone!
I know a Marine who is going to school in SA. Recently his girlfriend was sexually assaulted by some gang members while they were walking down the sidewalk. The Marine beat both of the Punk gangbangers in the face and while doing so, two SA bicycle cops showd up. One of the cops started giving his girlfriend a bunch of crap and she told the SOB to F' off! She goes to jail, the Marine gets charged with criminal mischief and the SA PD gets black eye. " Under state law, the Marine was within his rights to defend the young lady against sexual assault". The young lady was also within her rights to resist "unlawful" arrest.
When a some SOB walks up to your girlfriend while your in Texas, and he puts his arms out and starts rubbing his crotch on a woman, You have a right to beat him in the face!
SA PD is trash!

Pyro01

I really like my Gerbers, at the moment I only have a multifunction Gerber Legend on my belt that I've had for over 12 years. I've broken the spring on the scissors and the cutting jaws on the pliers, but everything else keeps on going. I rarely if ever have sharpened the blade and it's still got a really nice edge on it still. I had a folding 3.5" gerber blade(don't remember the specific type) but for the life of me I can't find it. I miss that thing.

Claytron

I carry a spyderco endura 4 w/ wave feature, it has a little hook that catches on your pocket and deploys the blade as you draw it, works quicker and easier than any kind of ubtton, latch or gravity knife ive ever tried.

Lately though, ive been carrying a simple 20 dollar victorinox swiss army knife with just the basics on it

j4l

I really like my Gerbers, at the moment I only have a multifunction Gerber Legend on my belt that I've had for over 12 years. I've broken the spring on the scissors and the cutting jaws on the pliers, but everything else keeps on going. I rarely if ever have sharpened the blade and it's still got a really nice edge on it still. I had a folding 3.5" gerber blade(don't remember the specific type) but for the life of me I can't find it. I miss that thing.

Same here-have had good service form my Gerbers. Ive a Gerber folder in the pocket, and a Gator on the belt,sheathed. The multitool I've worn the heck out of- have had 3 of them over the years because I simply use them to death. Good stuff though.

j4l

To the poster who seemed to indicate that carrying three knives was a substitute for carrying a HG. Have you ever tested your deployment using a training knife?

Do you think pulling a knife is a deterrent to a predator? What would you do with the knife once opened - i.e. any skill in the snakey stick range?

One thing that is a bit daunting to me is that society seems to frown more heavily on someone who used a blade to carve someone up than someone who simply shot the attacker. Another way to put it is that drawing a HG to low ready and backing up is still a threat. To threaten with a knife you have to advance with some intent.

$.02

I think you mis-understood him on that. I once lived in States where handguns just werent going to happen, legally. Knives arent a substitute for the gun,usually, but sometimes is all one is permitted. And no, you dont threaten with the blade-nor do you even reveal it if you can avoid it, until it is time to slice.
Also, if Murphy visits big-time, and your primary fails,BUG fails, or you simply run out of ammo. having a blade on hand as a last-ditch can be helpful.

jayspapa

$.02

Please tell me where I said carrying 3 knives was better than a handgun. I live in Illinois thus , no carry for me when away from the house.

I am not going to threaten anyone with any knife I carry either. The only way I would pull it would be if a bad guy was about to lay hands on me. At that point anything with a sharp point on it is better than your bare hands.

I do have 2 carry licenses. One from Pa. ( the first one ) and one from Utah and I carry a .45 when I get away from my own state for a day or two. The knives are still with me though even then.

Michigander

Lots at work, none while carrying guns openly.

Todays was my Camillus licensed Darryl Ralph design, with crappy AUS 8 blade. One of the coolest junk knives I own. I have to be careful not to use it too hard or the blade will chip. Tomorrow I'm thinkin' 440C or 154CM will do.

45acpForMe

I carry a large bowie knife(9in blade or better). I use it compliment my sixshooter.

I would like to carry this Cold Steel OSS but VA has some screwy knife laws so I would have to OC it. It and its sheath would fit nicely inside my leather jacket pocket but VA doesn't have a concealed weapons permit anymore just a concealed handgun permit. :-(

http://www.coldsteel.com/oss.html

Last edited:

carry for myself

GERBER LMF INFANTRY.jpg

Gerber LMF Infantry. i wear baggy pants, and wear on my calf ;-) but thats when im hiking hah otherwise S&W CR folder ;-)

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Please tell me where I said carrying 3 knives was better than a handgun. I live in Illinois thus , no carry for me when away from the house.

I am not going to threaten anyone with any knife I carry either. The only way I would pull it would be if a bad guy was about to lay hands on me. At that point anything with a sharp point on it is better than your bare hands.

Oh, just talking since I'm a knife guy first and have trained with blades since 1980. I had no intent to put words in your mouth.

carry for myself

oh multi tool!.........i carry the free pink cabelas keychain multitool with the led light that came with my free hat when i got my membership card :-D hahahha

j4l

Gerbers are great knifes.

Indeed, I've had good service from a number of them over the years.
2 in particular- the Gator- being one- I've had and used almost daily, that knife for just normal work use, etc. Blade on that thing stays sharp for a long long time,no matter what I seem to use it for.
Other recent one being one of their small pocket folders. Same thing- used it recently for minor cutting/slicing etc during a camping trip. Got home sharpened it right up very easily-even though it didnt need much sharpening.

j4l

Lots at work, none while carrying guns openly.

Todays was my Camillus licensed Darryl Ralph design, with crappy AUS 8 blade. One of the coolest junk knives I own. I have to be careful not to use it too hard or the blade will chip. Tomorrow I'm thinkin' 440C or 154CM will do.

I see a lot of blades out there of AUS8,though, even on some high-end knives,as well as one I was considering buying.
Is it a matter of the steel itself? Is it just more brittle than 440 or others? Or something to do with the treating/finishing?