• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knock, Knock

yelohamr

imported post

Magazine subscription peddlers target local neighborhoods

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/temecula/article_ca252e23-a6a5-52d5-a86e-756ea006d387.html

At the time I didn't think much of it. Last month a young woman came to our door and started giving a spiel about being a neighbor, going to UCSD and working her way through school. She and her spiel were familiar, I think she used the same act about 8 months ago.

On this day I was LOC (as Iusually do at home). I asked where she lived and she said, "Up the street." I again asked and she couldn't even pronounce the name of the cross street, where she supposedly lives.

I asked if she had any I.D. and she showed a card with her name printed on it with a Sharpie. She had no school I.D. or anything else. Her jeans were tight fitting so I could tell there was nothing in her pockets, as she was walking away.:)

Four days later, a young man was at our door, trying the same thing. We have a security steel screendoor that we can see out but no one can see in.

After I greeted him, the very first words out of his mouth were, "Don't shoot, I'm just selling magazine subscriptions".

He couldn't see me, how did he know I was armed? Gee, could that cute girl with the tight jeans have told him?

There have been episodes of mail theft in the neighborhood. That red flag that's up tells not only the Mail Carrier that something is there. We take our out-going mail to the Post Office.

demnogis

imported post

This is why I have started answering the door holstered if someone I do not recognise knocks or rings the doorbell. Usually in my neighborhood its people trying to sell lawn service, magazines or candy (with an empty box). In my city a permit is required to sell door-to-door.

Also people will usually approach if they see your garage door open. With thousands of dollars of tools and motorcycles in there, I do not want anyone thinking my house is an easy mark.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
Magazine subscription peddlers target local neighborhoods

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/temecula/article_ca252e23-a6a5-52d5-a86e-756ea006d387.html

At the time I didn't think much of it. Last month a young woman came to our door and started giving a spiel about being a neighbor, going to UCSD and working her way through school. She and her spiel were familiar, I think she used the same act about 8 months ago.

On this day I was LOC (as Iusually do at home). I asked where she lived and she said, "Up the street." I again asked and she couldn't even pronounce the name of the cross street, where she supposedly lives.

I asked if she had any I.D. and she showed a card with her name printed on it with a Sharpie. She had no school I.D. or anything else. Her jeans were tight fitting so I could tell there was nothing in her pockets, as she was walking away.:)

Four days later, a young man was at our door, trying the same thing. We have a security steel screendoor that we can see out but no one can see in.

After I greeted him, the very first words out of his mouth were, "Don't shoot, I'm just selling magazine subscriptions".

He couldn't see me, how did he know I was armed? Gee, could that cute girl with the tight jeans have told him?

There have been episodes of mail theft in the neighborhood. That red flag that's up tells not only the Mail Carrier that something is there. We take our out-going mail to the Post Office.
Same thing happened to me last year. Guy actually put his hand on the door as I tried to close it but when he caught sight of my 97lb. German Shepherd staring at him he made a hasty retreat. I believe in a layered defense strategy: Alarm<Dog<Glock

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

From news articles, conversations with police department in setting up Neighborhood Watch and stories from friends, I doubt that many subscription teams are legit. Check Google or your favorite news source for information.

I just do not respond to solicitors in any event and observe how they are behaving in the neighborhood. That "live in the neighborhood" thing doesn't fly.

The dog is a good option.