• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ladies who OC - how are you recieved?

MamaLiberty

imported post

As far as I'm concerned, the most vital "perception" to encourage is that of confident, self controlled and peaceful people who just happen to be carrying a gun.

Until other people routinely see us as peaceful and self disciplined, they won't be comfortable seeing us armed.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Perception: Lori - strikes me as a well prepared "sheepdog"- not a helpless "sheep". Been around sheep a good part of my life, and never been heard tell of anyone feeling threatened by a "sheep dog" - as long as they weren't bothering the sheep.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Shorts wrote:
I posted this a while back and I thought I'd revisit it now with the OC push going in TX and it is a closer goal.

I find the gender issue particularly interesting in this movement and I think it's worth a closer look in regards to perceptions. A large part of antiOC argument is that men want to open carry in order to "show off" or "act tough". Well, if that's the assumed reason for male OC proponents, what is the assumed reason for female OC proponents?

I read in another thread that the image of Lori on the advertising banners and billboards is seen as "cocky or smug"...defiant even.

What is it about perceptions?

And how can we use them to our advantage to relay our message so that it resonates?
Read http://www.corneredcat.com/ and you will get an excellent perspective from a woman's point of view.

Also buy, borrow or beg any of the books by Paxton Quigley a former anti.

Those that irrationally oppose this will not be changed. They will make all of the usual whining noises and insults that they have always made. It is the middle-of-the-road, non-committed thinker to whom we must appeal.

Yata hey

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Shorts wrote:
I posted this a while back and I thought I'd revisit it now with the OC push going in TX and it is a closer goal.

I find the gender issue particularly interesting in this movement and I think it's worth a closer look in regards to perceptions. A large part of antiOC argument is that men want to open carry in order to "show off" or "act tough". Well, if that's the assumed reason for male OC proponents, what is the assumed reason for female OC proponents?

I read in another thread that the image of Lori on the advertising banners and billboards is seen as "cocky or smug"...defiant even.

What is it about perceptions?

And how can we use them to our advantage to relay our message so that it resonates?
Read http://www.corneredcat.com/ and you will get an excellent perspective from a woman's point of view.

Also buy, borrow or beg any of the books by Paxton Quigley a former anti.

Those that irrationally oppose this will not be changed. They will make all of the usual whining noises and insults that they have always made. It is the middle-of-the-road, non-committed thinker to whom we must appeal.

Yata hey

Thanks! I am in touch with Kathy through another forum over the last several years. She's a great lady and a great resource.

I will have a look for the Paxton Quigley books :)

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey Shorts, you might contact shefearsnothing. I'd be willing to bet she has something of value to contribute to this thread.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Just a quick OC tip that's been said a million times:
The first few times you OC most likely you will be the most nervous person you encounter.

Most people either don't notice (a majority) or don't care. Although be prepared if some person with a screw loose calls the cops. I suggest carrying a voice recorder with you. Newer ones can record the entire time you are out.

Grapeshot wrote:
sneak wrote:
If I had my way, there'd be no laws requiring anyone to do anything.

-j
That's called anarchy - 1) "social structure without government or law and order" 2) "utter confusion."  This is not a perfect world.

Yata hey

Where did you get that definition of anarchy? Almost every definition I've seen carefully separates "Social structures without government" from "no order, utter confusion".

There is a common misconception that Anarchy == Chaos. From a philosophical standpoint, government is closer to chaos than anarchy.

One of my favorite poems (by David Friedman):
In Washington there isn't any plan
With "feeding David" on page sixty-four;
It must be accidental that the milk man
Leaves a bottle at my door.

It must be accidental that the butcher
Has carcasses arriving at his shop
The very place where, when I need some meat,
I accidentally stop.

My life is chaos turned miraculous;
I speak a word and people understand
Although it must be gibberish since words
Are not produced by governmental plan.

Now law and order, on the other hand
The state provides us for the public good;
That's why there's instant justice on demand
And safety in every neighborhood.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
sneak wrote:
If I had my way, there'd be no laws requiring anyone to do anything.-j
That's called anarchy - 1) "social structure without government or law and order" 2) "utter confusion." This is not a perfect world.
Where did you get that definition of anarchy? Almost every definition I've seen carefully separates "Social structures without government" from "no order, utter confusion".

There is a common misconception that Anarchy == Chaos. From a philosophical standpoint, government is closer to chaos than anarchy.
Source: Webster's New International Dictionary, second edition.

an'arch.y, n. [Gr.anarchia] 1. The state of society where there is no law or supreme power; a state of political disorder. 2. A state of confusion or disorder.

Syn. Anarchy, chaos, lawlessness mean a breakdown in law or order.
Anarchy implies total absence or suspension of government; chaos, the utter negation of law or order; lawlessness, a prevalent or habitual disregard of law or order.

Hope this clarifies.

Yata hey

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
sneak wrote:
If I had my way, there'd be no laws requiring anyone to do anything.-j
That's called anarchy - 1) "social structure without government or law and order" 2) "utter confusion." This is not a perfect world.

Source: Webster's New International Dictionary, second edition.

an'arch.y, n. [Gr.anarchia] 1. The state of society where there is no law or supreme power; a state of political disorder. 2. A state of confusion or disorder.

Syn. Anarchy, chaos, lawlessness mean a breakdown in law or order.
Anarchy implies total absence or suspension of government; chaos, the utter negation of law or order; lawlessness, a prevalent or habitual disregard of law or order.

Hope this clarifies.

Yata hey

What Is Anarchy?
http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer60.html

The Stateless Society Fights Back
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/molyneux5.html

Pennsylvania's Anarchist Experiment: 1681-1690
http://mises.org/story/1865

Anarchy and Efficient Law
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law.html

And also the word anarchy is from ancient Greek. The prefix 'an-' means without, 'Archon' is the word for ruler. So the word 'anarchy' means "without a ruler". Monarchy means one ruler, Oligarchy means rule by the few, few- oligos. Law also becomes more efficient under anarchy, under any other system the government is granted a monoply over the justice system, in anarchy there would be competing judicial systems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Aaa well, we have a living, breathing language and regional interpretations - at least we can take our pick. Perhaps it depends on the educational or indoctrinational values being promoted.

When is "is" really is? :)

Yata hey

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

My wife wasn't OC'ing at the local Albertson's. I was. However, as this is about responses to women I hope it applies.

The fact that I was the one OC'ing didn't stop the cashier from harassing her. He did this after I offered to check a price for him, and jogged back into the store. When I was gone he began to repeatedly ask, "Is he a cop?".

My wife asked for clarity (She wanted to make sure he was talking about me; she didn't want to tell him I had a gun if he didn't already know), and he just continued to ask "Is he a cop?". She told me that he was aggressive about it. After confirming that he was talking about me, she answered, "No he is a civilian" (Double Doh!).

He then began stubbornly and aggresively repeating, "That's illegal". When she finally said, "He has a pamphlet that you can have when he get's back", the cashier stopped talking to her altogether, and proceeded to ignore her.

I had no idea what was going on, but when I got back I gave my wife the pamphlet she asked for, and she placed it next to the scanner, where it was ignored.

The experience was unsettling for my wife (his attitude was distressing), but hopefully the cashier at least read the pamphlet. Even if he can't stop being an arrogant jerk towards women he can at least be an informed arrogant jerk.

That's the gist of it. My wife would probably correct 20 things I just said as I didn't actually witness the above events, but it's close enough :?.

Edit: Grammar

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

diesel, that's both infuriating (the way the cashier was so dramatic about it) and funny (he shut it after she offered him a pamphlet).

Though from yalls experience, I wonder how the folks like the cashier would treat her if she was the one carrying.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Shorts: I think him shutting it actually frustrated her. Maybe I'll convince her to OC in the future, and we can find out how things would go. She is a big proponent of guns.

Marshul: You already have me researching Classical Liberalism! No more, please!!!

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Shorts: I think him shutting it actually frustrated her. Maybe I'll convince her to OC in the future, and we can find out how things would go. She is a big proponent of guns.

Marshul: You already have me researching Classical Liberalism! No more, please!!!

Definitely understandable, especially if he was intentionally ignoring her.

If your wife does OC, I'd certainly be interested in hearing her experience :)