• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LAPD Still Hasn't Learned.

coolusername2007

The problem as I see it is, im sure LAPD monitors this website, and already knows of this discussion, so in all likelyhood if you identify the restaurant, the time and date of a large gathering, they will not respond in the same manner as before. They will assign plain clothed officers to monitor and watch but show no police presence.

Not necessarily true. The last time this happened all info was public and LAPD showed up in mass with helos. I wouldn't expect them to change now.

If you really want to do this right, do not discuss this on an open forum such as this, someone set up a private discussion with restricted access to "known" OC'rs and dont give any info to the PD... Then have 1 Person OC at the location designated, with everyone else standing by offsite. Draw the 911 call from a panic'd citizen, then get your 20+ officers to show up all gung ho and violate the lone OC'rs rights, then have the rest of the group join them in the area. Otherwise this exercise will be pointless cause LAPD will use a different tactic.

Clarify please. Are you calling for a lone UOC'er to bait the LAPD, then everyone else, who are also UOC'ing to join in, in some sort of flanking manuever? If so, I don't agree with this tactic, it could severly backfire.

I say keep everything public, plan in the open for all to see, then follow through. Law-abiding need not hide legal activities of camaraderie.

tokenride

New to open carry

I have been reading up for weeks on this. I feel I am ready to join. If there are any events or meet ups that I could be a part of please let me know. I live in Ontario, Cali.

Thanks!

hgreen

Firemark

Not necessarily true. The last time this happened all info was public and LAPD showed up in mass with helos. I wouldn't expect them to change now.

Clarify please. Are you calling for a lone UOC'er to bait the LAPD, then everyone else, who are also UOC'ing to join in, in some sort of flanking manuever? If so, I don't agree with this tactic, it could severly backfire.

I say keep everything public, plan in the open for all to see, then follow through. Law-abiding need not hide legal activities of camaraderie.

Sure I would be happy to clarify. Having made appointments and spoken with several upper echelon Police officers, as well as conducted in field anonymous interviews (me not identified as an OC'r) of at least 30+ patrol officers, I have discovered some interesting facts and I will share them, mind you this may not be the same as LA county/city it is probably not as harsh. Senior officers not looking to promote tend to view OC'rs as a nuisance and will deal with them according to the law as it is written, as our type specifically deal with firearms, the upper PD management is very concerned about officer safety. Senior Officers looking to promote or attain political office, tend to have a very 2 faced approached, when asked point blank they will answer matter of factly along the departments prepared statements and lines of the law as it is written, but in their words and actions upon indirect questioning, they find ways to subvert and control and dissuade OC movement to reach the end means of getting rid of armed citizens.. (AB1934 origins for example). As for the average beat cop, the numbers I have seen break down like this approximately,---10% support OC dont have a problem with it, makes the job of policing easier.---80% dont give a hoot about OC, just let them do their E check like they have been directed/trained and move on to the rest of their shift.---the last 10% they are the problem, they have a sense of superiority and entitlement and a strong desire to "teach OC'rs a lesson".

So much like Civil rights abuses from the 50's and 60's if they think there are no cameras around and no witnesses, and only one lone OC'r they will strong arm that OC'r. In fact they will be the ones who jump at the chance to take the MWAG calls from dispatch, cause it is there chance to really "do something". Thats why you get so many of those officers to show up at one time. Also many of this type tend to be the younger gung ho officers not the older experienced mature ones. (usually)

Baiting the PD...?? by this you mean purposefully setting up and then goading officers into responding in an aggressive manner? No this is not what I mean. Officers that disregard common courtesy and manners and their own departments directives for dealing with the lawful public are a danger to everyone. By the account listed by the thread starter he was accosted because he was by himself and by overzealous officers realizing they could get away with bullying him.

What sickens and scares me is that no one else in that restaurant stood up or spoke in defense of a man who was doing nothing wrong.

In this case, I recommend several OC'rs to NOT be carrying but be in the establishment to record the interaction, when the lone OC'r is asked why is he carrying the answer is the truth. "Im waiting for an Open Carry friend(s) to have lunch with." If these are the type of officers who are looking to violate rights, and want to stick around and wait for the "friend (s)" to give him/them a hard time so be it. There is no taunting or daring, they make a decision to stay and wait, or leave. They may cuff and ID the lone guy, violate his rights, do everyhting that was done before which is wrong... (but now is recorded from several angles and has multiple witnesses.
If 10 or 15 friends show up to have lunch as told by the lone OC'r, it communicates several messages. OC'rs are a group of law abiding citizens who use solidarity to protect each others rights, if the officers treat everyone differently then the first OC'r there is an issue that needs to be addressed with the department regarding intimidating citizens. It now provides 10-15 eyewitness accounts of treatment regarding detainment and rights violations.

I know what your thinking, the cops roll up, charge the restaurant, guns drawn, do a hot stop and proceed to harass the lone OC'r. Then we all come rushing in to save him...WRONG...FAIL!!!!!! That is the epitomy of stupid. There are other methods to deliver a point without stiking fear into officers... when heads are calmer and more relaxed and forwarned of whats to come. When the officers have a choice..."hey lets stick around and harass a couple more gun nuts" or "lets just leave and forget about it" the non violent way the passive way, think MLK method.

And dont forget you might just get a really nice officer or 2 who are understanding and a 2A supporter who just comes in and chats and is nice, you still tell them the same truth, give them the option to stay or leave. And of course treat them with the same level of respect and courtesy they treated you.

In both cases I believe that the lesson of peaceful solidarity and lawful citizens is proven, and that OC is not going away but becoming more mainstream and prevelant in society.

I would even go a step further and invite the officers (the good and the bad) to stay and sit with us, have a cup of Joe, talk with us for awhile, see that we are not what they want us to be...thats how you change the sterotype they have of us...

As for the other 90% of officers, I agree planning in the open and giving a heads up is fine, but its not their minds that need to be changed, its the ones who have a power issue that they display when they think no one is watching or around, those types you need just a bit of preparation and planning beforehand.

Thats my ideas, I welcome your feedback. (apologies for grammar/spelling errors)

coolusername2007

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes much more sense now. If the restaurant owner is OK with UOC'ers patronizing his establishment, then I have no problem. We should keep in mind he's trying to run a business and may not want another "episode".

Firemark

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes much more sense now. If the restaurant owner is OK with UOC'ers patronizing his establishment, then I have no problem. We should keep in mind he's trying to run a business and may not want another "episode".

Yes the owner/proprieter needs to be asked first, without permission, we all look like a bunch of yahoos trying to prove a point. Not a conducive way to teach citizens and LE about being responsible Law abiding citizens. I also encourage and recommend tipping highly, to show generosity. Hopefully make up for having customers walk out the previous time.

I can see how many people view LE and UOC'rs as struggling, battling for control over each other. But its really not about that, its about showing everyone who is more mature, more calm, more in control, and ultimatley the most lawful, thats what is going to help us change peoples minds, who follows the law better.

markm

Firemark is correct!

Yes the owner/proprieter needs to be asked first, without permission, we all look like a bunch of yahoos trying to prove a point. Not a conducive way to teach citizens and LE about being responsible Law abiding citizens. I also encourage and recommend tipping highly, to show generosity. Hopefully make up for having customers walk out the previous time.

I can see how many people view LE and UOC'rs as struggling, battling for control over each other. But its really not about that, its about showing everyone who is more mature, more calm, more in control, and ultimatley the most lawful, thats what is going to help us change peoples minds, who follows the law better.

Hello all,

We should not plan covert ops to entrap LEO. One of the best tactics we have is this public forum. We should invite LEO to read our threads. We are law-abiding citizens who discuss PC, case law, and the application of it, in a public forum.

If LEO wants to lurk-around in our pond, so be it! If a LEO wants to "infiltrate" a meet-up, let him/her. If we find an infiltrater in our midst, buy him a Starbucks and invite him to lunch. Nice people win in politics; that does not mean we can't sue the bastards! However, we need to sue them with a smile. Or, we need to write letters and explain to political leaders that law-breaking will not be tolerated.

Political winners are usually stereotyped as underdogs before the win. By keeping our actions public, by discussing law, by publicly expressing anxst at the illegal actions of LEO, as Mike Hunt has, we become the underdogs.

The best way to stop LEO from breaking the law is to force LEO to pay with his own money for HIS violations. 42 USC section 1983, and the PC are our tools, if we will use them.

Mike Hunt, sue the bastard!

markm

Ca Patriot

Hello all,

We should not plan covert ops to entrap LEO.

Why not, the police make a career out of doing that to regular citizens. What comes around goes around.

In addition, it wouldnt be "entrapment" by the OC'ers, it would be normal, lawful behavior.

Michigander

Hello all,

We should not plan covert ops to entrap LEO. One of the best tactics we have is this public forum. We should invite LEO to read our threads. We are law-abiding citizens who discuss PC, case law, and the application of it, in a public forum.

If LEO wants to lurk-around in our pond, so be it! If a LEO wants to "infiltrate" a meet-up, let him/her. If we find an infiltrater in our midst, buy him a Starbucks and invite him to lunch. Nice people win in politics; that does not mean we can't sue the bastards! However, we need to sue them with a smile. Or, we need to write letters and explain to political leaders that law-breaking will not be tolerated.

In regards to the majority of circumstances, I agree completely. I have bettered relations with at least 4 PD's in the wake of unlawful Terry Stops with simple complaint letters. They apologetically put an end to it, and I thanked them. This and proactive educational memos have been the rule in Michigan, with only a relatively small number of exceptions.

However, in regards to repeated departmentally sanctioned us against them police abuse which will not get better without drastic actions, I disagree. I feel it is extremely important to understand the importance of off guard evidence gathering and law suits. Those who don't have the stomach for such actions should avoid them.

Hardened bullies do not respond well to kindness and Ghandi'ing out. It has never worked on people who can't be shamed out of being thugs, and it never will. Truly criminal police are often proud of their thuggery, and what's more, many people in this country have been programmed to approve of it. Getting spanked hard in court is the only way to stop them, and a simple complaint of "they said mean things and didn't respond well to our cordial letters!!!" will get you very little from either a judge or jury. All a lawsuit will do is repay you for damages that you had. Half an hour of simple detention and verbal defamation of character, despite being a color of law felony, may end up being worth legal fees at most. If you aren't as ruthless as they are, but acting totally lawfully, you won't likely get very much accomplished with those departments who are okay from higher levels of supervisors on down with acting criminally to deter lawful carry.

Edit to add- I suggest Diop Kamau's tactics be studied by anyone who wishes to better understand or participate in police abuse investigations. http://www.policeabuse.com/

Last edited: