• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit: detained for openly carrying pistol

budlight

Yep. Do anything legal or not, that is not accepted by the "opinion" police, expect to get jammed up! That's our new AmeriKa / land of the free "as long as you don't: drive while black, promote civil rights, speak or act freely, ......" :(

For what it's worth - the more things change, the more they stay the same...."step out of line, the man comes and takes you away."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sf8EpgkSQ

Let's try to keep race out of these forms. There is another member out here who is willing to call people racist for comments that have nothing to do with racism. No offense….but I am tired of a certain race dropping the Race Card when their race has nothing to do with the issue at hand. For the most part, most illegal encounters/detainments by LEOs on open carry in Michigan have been on Caucasian citizens.

Last edited:

DanM

FreeInAZ said:
Yep. Do anything legal or not, that is not accepted by the "opinion" police, expect to get jammed up! That's our new AmeriKa / land of the free "as long as you don't: drive while black, promote civil rights, speak or act freely, ......"

Let's try to keep race out of these forms. There is another member out here who is willing to call people racist for comments that have nothing to do with racism. No offense….but I am tired of a certain race dropping the Race Card when their race has nothing to do with the issue at hand. For the most part, most illegal encounters/detainments by LEOs on open carry in Michigan have been on Caucasian citizens.

FreeInAZ's comment is not an example of playing the race card. He includes DWB legitimately among relevant examples in a relevant point. I don't know if most illegal encounters have been on whites, but assuming that's true it makes sense as our brothers and sisters of other races are a minority of OC'ers. However, the *rate* of illegal encounters that they are at risk of may be higher. In other words OCWB (OC'ing While Black) may yield a total number of illegal encounters that is low, but the *rate*, i.e. the *risk*, of illegal encounters per 1000 hours of OCWB may be higher than per 1000 hours of non-minority OC. That would also make sense if confirmed, as it goes along with the demonstrated higher rates of illegal encounters they experience while driving, shopping, walking the public sidewalks in general (NYC stop-and-frisk abuses, for example), etc.

FreeInAZ

Thanks for the reply Dan. I used the words I used specifically, here's why -as in the case of budlight they paint mental pictures. The term civil rights to many means "blacks fighting for them". The term gun rights to many means whites fighting only for the 2A! Nothing can be farther from the truth. All civil rights are protected by the 2A! So we need to stop playing into the media trap of appearing we "only care about our damn guns! ” We as gun owners/ carriers are often profiled as crazies just looking for a fight, which is false of course. Just as blacks are profiled by certain people as "a crime waiting to happen!", which is of course false also.

Words matter folks - we need to learn to use them to our advantage, not our detriment. ;) We are fighting for the rights of ALL US citizens, so how is it we always look so bad in the press?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Words matter folks - we need to learn to use them to our advantage, not our detriment. ;) We are fighting for the rights of ALL US citizens, so how is it we always look so bad in the press?

We don't control the message, and allow the terms 'gun rights' to depreciate the issue. We need to stay focused on 'civil rights' or, even better, HUMAN rights. Guns have no rights, no more than a hammer, or a refrigerator.

FreeInAZ

We don't control the message, and allow the terms 'gun rights' to depreciate the issue. We need to stay focused on 'civil rights' or, even better, HUMAN rights. Guns have no rights, no more than a hammer, or a refrigerator.

Spot on! I bet you cannot find one politician willing to go on the record saying they are against HUMAN RIGHTS, yet stripping the ability of the people to defend themselves amounts to the same thing. :eek:

jeffrey-r

I don't think that's a typo. We will be doing this 1 day short of the 1yr anniversary.

What?

Open Carry MARCH - Grand Rapids - 3/2/14
On Sunday, March 3rd 2013, around 12pm, Johann Deffert....
When: Sunday March 2nd @ 11:30am

Under background, you say Sunday March 3rd. Sunday is March 2nd.

JoeSparky

Centurion
What?

Open Carry MARCH - Grand Rapids - 3/2/14
On Sunday, March 3rd 2013, around 12pm, Johann Deffert....
When: Sunday March 2nd @ 11:30am

Under background, you say Sunday March 3rd. Sunday is March 2nd.

Me thinks he is saying the original event occurred on March 3rd, 2013 and on Sunday, March 2, 2014 they are having this event!--- one day shy of the 1st anniversary of the incident!

Raggs

Me thinks he is saying the original event occurred on March 3rd, 2013 and on Sunday, March 2, 2014 they are having this event!--- one day shy of the 1st anniversary of the incident!

this is correct, if we did it on the actual day in happened it would be a Monday and turnout would likely suck, on a Sunday however it can get a nice turnout