• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Interaction at State Department Fed Credit Union in Arlington

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Not at all sure what you mean by a "Virginia State agency license." Can you be more specific?

The pertinent section of the statute says:

"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. "
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

I work for a college that is based in another state. In order for me to legally recruit Virginia students to enroll at my college, I am licensed by the state of Virginia, by an agency called the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). The Schev website describes itself as:

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the Commonwealth's coordinating body for higher education. SCHEV was established by the Governor and General Assembly in 1956. Then as now, our mission, which is outlined in the Code of Virginia, is "to promote the development of an educationally and economically sound, vigorous, progressive, and coordinated system of higher education" in Virginia.​

My school has applied for and I have been issued a SCHEV "Proprietary School Agent Permit" that has my picture and my name, along with the names and address of my school.

The question is, will this state-agency-issued ID card satisfy the requirement?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I work for a college that is based in another state. In order for me to legally recruit Virginia students to enroll at my college, I am licensed by the state of Virginia, by an agency called the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). The Schev website describes itself as:
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the Commonwealth's coordinating body for higher education. SCHEV was established by the Governor and General Assembly in 1956. Then as now, our mission, which is outlined in the Code of Virginia, is "to promote the development of an educationally and economically sound, vigorous, progressive, and coordinated system of higher education" in Virginia.​
My school has applied for and I have been issued a SCHEV "Proprietary School Agent Permit" that has my picture and my name, along with the names and address of my school.

The question is, will this state-agency-issued ID card satisfy the requirement?

With the obligatory caveat that I am NOT an attorney, I would think that would satisfy the requirement. That being said, you may have some difficulty convincing a particular LEO at one time or another - they are sometimes not familiar with the fine points of the law with which they do not regularly deal.

Bear in mind to that I am referring to Virginia law, not how the law may read in other states where the question must be resolved in accordance with the laws of that state.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
With the obligatory caveat that I am NOT an attorney, I would think that would satisfy the requirement. That being said, you may have some difficulty convincing a particular LEO at one time or another - they are sometimes not familiar with the fine points of the law with which they do not regularly deal.

Bear in mind to that I am referring to Virginia law, not how the law may read in other states where the question must be resolved in accordance with the laws of that state.

Thanks for the opinion, Grape. I'll start carrying it with me just in case a LEO is not satisfied with my verbal ID and insists on seeing a "government-issued" ID. If that occurs, I'll get back on and let everyone know what transpired...

user

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the opinion, Grape. I'll start carrying it with me just in case a LEO is not satisfied with my verbal ID and insists on seeing a "government-issued" ID. If that occurs, I'll get back on and let everyone know what transpired...

I confirm Grapeshot's opinion; if you have any trouble using it in that context, please let me know - btw, you are not required under Virginia law to display any documentation at all merely to identify yourself. If you carry concealed, you must display the photo-id upon request by a law-enforcement officer.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I confirm Grapeshot's opinion; if you have any trouble using it in that context, please let me know - btw, you are not required under Virginia law to display any documentation at all merely to identify yourself. If you carry concealed, you must display the photo-id upon request by a law-enforcement officer.

Thanks for the confirmation, User. That's helpful.