• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO justified in stopping a man in a suit with a gun in a holster walking toward a building

Thundar

imported post

Poetic justice would be:

The District Court Judge is pulled over. He provides his registration, but the registry is not working right now.

Sorry judge, we have no reasonable suspicion of criminality, but until we can confirm your papers, your property is confiscated.

There is no constitutional issue.

Pagan

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Poetic justice would be:

The District Court Judge is pulled over. He provides his registration, but the registry is not working right now.

Sorry judge, we have no reasonable suspicion of criminality, but until we can confirm your papers, your property is confiscated.

There is no constitutional issue.
While a gun is being pointed at him...by a uniformed criminal.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Is anyone in contact with this victim of the state? Do we know if he has intent to appeal, or if he even can?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
...yet there [is] no fundmental right to drive vehicles like there is to carry  gun.
There isn't? :shock: News to me.

I bet it's also news to all the "illegal" hispanic immigrants who can't get a license but somehow manage to drive anyway (despite "not having" a "right" to do so), and also manage to work in voluntary arrangements despite also, supposedly, not having a "right" to do so.

Statists really misunderstand what a "right" really is. If I am in fact capable of doing something, and that something does not infringe on a legitimate interest of another (the "interests" of the state don't count here), that something is, by definition, a "right".

Sort of like, you know, driving. And carrying a gun. And forming voluntary contracts, like those formed when "illegals" are employed (off-topic I know, but I'm in a high-horsey kind of mood. :)).

simmonsjoe

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Mike wrote:
...yet there [is] no fundmental right to drive vehicles like there is to carry gun.
There isn't? :shock: News to me.

I bet it's also news to all the "illegal" hispanic immigrants who can't get a license but somehow manage to drive anyway (despite "not having" a "right" to do so), and also manage to work in voluntary arrangements despite also, supposedly, not having a "right" to do so.

Statists really misunderstand what a "right" really is. If I am in fact capable of doing something, and that something does not infringe on a legitimate interest of another (the "interests" of the state don't count here), that something is, by definition, a "right".

Sort of like, you know, driving. And carrying a gun. And forming voluntary contracts, like those formed when "illegals" are employed (off-topic I know, but I'm in a high-horsey kind of mood. :)).
"It does not pick my pocket nor break my bone" --??

yea, the right to drive thing is a little misunderstood. You have the right to drive, as long as it isn't on public funded roads, as that does affect me because you aren't paying your fair share for the roadway.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I really don't have a problem with the cop asking the man a question or two. But, this cop "forcefully" drew on the guy, detained him for 10 minutes, and took the guys gun. It is ridiculous and the court agreeing with it is nonsense.

Tomahawk

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
You have the right to drive, as long as it isn't on public funded roads, as that does affect me because you aren't paying your fair share for the roadway.

Roads are funded mostly by taxes, not liscence fees, number one. Lots of people who don't pay taxes use the roads, starting with teenagers. And manypeople pay taxes but have no liscences, such as my aunt who lived in NY city and never bothered getting a drivers liscence.

Two, whether or not you pay taxes has no bearing on whether or not your rights are in effect in a public space. You may not live in the city of Richmond, but you have a right to carry your gun there, speak your mind there, and yes, even drive there, even if you're from out of state.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike wrote:
This is yet another case where a court allows police to treat gun carriers like criminals merely because they must have a license to carry as a matter of state law; the S. Ct. in the Prouse case re driver's licenses took a different view (no stopping cars just to check to see if driver is licensed). yet there i no fundmental right to drive vehicles like there is to carry gun.

I suspect this issue of Terry stopping gun carriers where a license is required to carry is eventually headed to the S. Ct. to see if they are OK with a firearm exception to the Fourth Amendment (gee, i thought that was made clear in Florida v. J.L., but I guess it needs to be rammed ome again).

What the hell is going on in this country. When will the madness end? This needs to be taken higher, for god's sake there already is Flordia vs J.L. as Mike's says.

RAS and ID request in exempted or licensed places:

My argument (Opinion only) would entail the unconstitutional practice of asking anyone for a license where the need for one is or is not required for that particular activity for just engaging in that practice.

For example driving a car is lawful. Certain people are allowed to drive cars if they have a valid license. Police can not stop a person driving a car just to see if they have a valid driver’s license without some RAS or PC of a crime, i.e. they know the person not to have a license.

The same could be argued in regard to possessing a firearm in an exempted place. Carrying a firearm is lawful. Carrying a firearm in an exempted place is allowed for some people. Some people have less restrictions on where they can carry a firearm than others (CPL holder, owner or employees, owners permission). Therefore since firearm possession is lawful in all exempted places by some people the mere presence of a firearm in an exempted place is not RAS or PC, unless further information is known about the person (i.e. a know felon, or known to not have a CPL, or has been trespassed, etc.)

U.S. Supreme Court Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979)
No. 77-1571 Argued January 17, 1979 Decided March 27, 1979 440 U.S. 648
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF DELAWARE

Syllabus

A patrolman in a police cruiser stopped an automobile occupied by respondent and seized marihuana in plain view on the car floor. Respondent was subsequently indicted for illegal possession of a controlled substance. At a hearing on respondent's motion to suppress the marihuana, the patrolman testified that, prior to stopping the vehicle, he had observed neither traffic or equipment violations nor any suspicious activity, and that he made the stop only in order to check the driver's license and the car's registration. The patrolman was not acting pursuant to any standards, guidelines, or procedures pertaining to document spot checks, promulgated by either his department or the State Attorney General. The trial court granted the motion to suppress, finding the stop and detention to have been wholly capricious, and therefore violative of the Fourth Amendment. The Delaware Supreme Court affirmed.

Held:

1. This Court has jurisdiction in this case even though the Delaware Supreme Court held that the stop at issue not only violated the Federal Constitution but also was impermissible under the Delaware Constitution. That court's opinion shows that, even if the State Constitution would have provided an adequate basis for the judgment below, the court did not intend to rest its decision independently on the State Constitution, its holding instead depending upon its view of the reach of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments. Pp. 440 U. S. 651-653.

2. Except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-663.

(a) Stopping an automobile and detaining its occupants constitute a "seizure" within the meaning of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, even though the purpose of the stop is limited and the resulting detention quite brief. The permissibility of a particular law enforcement practice is judged by balancing its intrusion on the individual's Fourth Amendment interests against its promotion of legitimate governmental interests. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-655.

428 U. S. 543, the marginal contribution to roadway safety possibly resulting from a system of spot checks cannot justify subjecting every occupant of every vehicle on the roads to a seizure at the unbridled discretion of law enforcement officials. Pp. 440 U. S. 655-661.

(c) An individual operating or traveling in an automobile does not lose all reasonable expectation of privacy simply because the automobile and its use are subject to government regulation. People are not shorn of all Fourth Amendment protection when they step from their homes onto the public sidewalk; nor are they shorn of those interests when they step from the sidewalks into their automobiles. Pp. 440 U. S. 662-663.

(d) The holding in this case does not preclude Delaware or other States from developing methods for spot checks that involve less intrusion or that do not involve the unconstrained exercise of discretion. Questioning of all oncoming traffic at roadblock-type stops is one possible alternative. P. 440 U. S. 663.

382 A.2d 1359, affirmed.

“The charge of every citizen of a free state is to be ever vigilant of the government’s role as their servant and not allow it to become their master.” Brian Jeffs, 2008

NCjones

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Kwikrnu,

This case is JUST like yours, EXCEPT:

1) The guy was a lawyer, and you are a troublemaker,

2) This guy was legally carrying concealed, and you carry an illegally disguised firearm,

3) This guy was a respectable professional dressed in a suit, carrying a briefcase and was on his way to work, and you dress up like a mall ninja in camo and go out creeping about in the woods TRYING to draw attention to yourself from LEOs, and

4) This guy had his handgun in a holster, discretely covered by his suit jacket, and you carry yours around swinging from a "tacti-cool" sling over your shoulder.

This case has about as many similarities with you as apple pie has with a dirty diaper...

Please...
I SECOND

NCjones

imported post

There is no law anywhere of which I am aware that relates to the color of a gun...and, if there were one in TN, he would have been arrested.

OK. Here is one. Did said guy have a concealed handgun permit? In North Carolina a handgun is considered "concealed" if it is disguised to not look like a handgun. Specifically, the NC courts have ruled that those little derringers that fit in a belt buckle are "concealed", even tho they are in plain view, because they are disquised to appear as ornamental.

So, if dingleberry disquised his "pistol" to look like a toy, it would be concealed (in my opinion) because, by the same reasoning as above, it was made to appear as a toy, not a weapon.

"Gun and knife belt buckles falsely give an impression of being ornamental in nature. As their nature and purpose is concealed and misleading, coupled with the weapons immediate and ready accessibility to the wearer of such a belt buckle, they would be considered concealed."

simmonsjoe

imported post

Venator wrote:
Mike wrote:
This is yet another case where a court allows police to treat gun carriers like criminals merely because they must have a license to carry as a matter of state law; the S. Ct. in the Prouse case re driver's licenses took a different view (no stopping cars just to check to see if driver is licensed). yet there i no fundmental right to drive vehicles like there is to carry gun.

I suspect this issue of Terry stopping gun carriers where a license is required to carry is eventually headed to the S. Ct. to see if they are OK with a firearm exception to the Fourth Amendment (gee, i thought that was made clear in Florida v. J.L., but I guess it needs to be rammed ome again).

What the hell is going on in this country. When will the madness end? This needs to be taken higher, for god's sake there already is Flordia vs J.L. as Mike's says.

RAS and ID request in exempted or licensed places:

My argument (Opinion only) would entail the unconstitutional practice of asking anyone for a license where the need for one is or is not required for that particular activity for just engaging in that practice.

For example driving a car is lawful. Certain people are allowed to drive cars if they have a valid license. Police can not stop a person driving a car just to see if they have a valid driver’s license without some RAS or PC of a crime, i.e. they know the person not to have a license.

The same could be argued in regard to possessing a firearm in an exempted place. Carrying a firearm is lawful. Carrying a firearm in an exempted place is allowed for some people. Some people have less restrictions on where they can carry a firearm than others (CPL holder, owner or employees, owners permission). Therefore since firearm possession is lawful in all exempted places by some people the mere presence of a firearm in an exempted place is not RAS or PC, unless further information is known about the person (i.e. a know felon, or known to not have a CPL, or has been trespassed, etc.)

U.S. Supreme Court Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979)
No. 77-1571 Argued January 17, 1979 Decided March 27, 1979 440 U.S. 648
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF DELAWARE

Syllabus

A patrolman in a police cruiser stopped an automobile occupied by respondent and seized marihuana in plain view on the car floor. Respondent was subsequently indicted for illegal possession of a controlled substance. At a hearing on respondent's motion to suppress the marihuana, the patrolman testified that, prior to stopping the vehicle, he had observed neither traffic or equipment violations nor any suspicious activity, and that he made the stop only in order to check the driver's license and the car's registration. The patrolman was not acting pursuant to any standards, guidelines, or procedures pertaining to document spot checks, promulgated by either his department or the State Attorney General. The trial court granted the motion to suppress, finding the stop and detention to have been wholly capricious, and therefore violative of the Fourth Amendment. The Delaware Supreme Court affirmed.

Held:

1. This Court has jurisdiction in this case even though the Delaware Supreme Court held that the stop at issue not only violated the Federal Constitution but also was impermissible under the Delaware Constitution. That court's opinion shows that, even if the State Constitution would have provided an adequate basis for the judgment below, the court did not intend to rest its decision independently on the State Constitution, its holding instead depending upon its view of the reach of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments. Pp. 440 U. S. 651-653.

2. Except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-663.

(a) Stopping an automobile and detaining its occupants constitute a "seizure" within the meaning of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, even though the purpose of the stop is limited and the resulting detention quite brief. The permissibility of a particular law enforcement practice is judged by balancing its intrusion on the individual's Fourth Amendment interests against its promotion of legitimate governmental interests. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-655.

428 U. S. 543, the marginal contribution to roadway safety possibly resulting from a system of spot checks cannot justify subjecting every occupant of every vehicle on the roads to a seizure at the unbridled discretion of law enforcement officials. Pp. 440 U. S. 655-661.

(c) An individual operating or traveling in an automobile does not lose all reasonable expectation of privacy simply because the automobile and its use are subject to government regulation. People are not shorn of all Fourth Amendment protection when they step from their homes onto the public sidewalk; nor are they shorn of those interests when they step from the sidewalks into their automobiles. Pp. 440 U. S. 662-663.

(d) The holding in this case does not preclude Delaware or other States from developing methods for spot checks that involve less intrusion or that do not involve the unconstrained exercise of discretion. Questioning of all oncoming traffic at roadblock-type stops is one possible alternative. P. 440 U. S. 663.

382 A.2d 1359, affirmed.

“The charge of every citizen of a free state is to be ever vigilant of the government’s role as their servant and not allow it to become their master.” Brian Jeffs, 2008
Great post. Very on-point.

simmonsjoe

imported post

NCjones wrote:
There is no law anywhere of which I am aware that relates to the color of a gun...and, if there were one in TN, he would have been arrested.

OK. Here is one. Did said guy have a concealed handgun permit? In North Carolina a handgun is considered "concealed" if it is disguised to not look like a handgun. Specifically, the NC courts have ruled that those little derringers that fit in a belt buckle are "concealed", even tho they are in plain view, because they are disquised to appear as ornamental.

So, if dingleberry disquised his "pistol" to look like a toy, it would be concealed (in my opinion) because, by the same reasoning as above, it was made to appear as a toy, not a weapon.

"Gun and knife belt buckles falsely give an impression of being ornamental in nature. As their nature and purpose is concealed and misleading, coupled with the weapons immediate and ready accessibility to the wearer of such a belt buckle, they would be considered concealed."

Off Topic. please search the forums for an answer, or start another thread.