• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's have a national OC day!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Why not carry ALL the time, Everywhere possible, even you folks in occupied territory?
Because I am not willing to give up my CC license due to an illegal carrying of a firearm charge. Giving up that right in trying to bring attention to another aspect of that right does not seem prudent.

In MO we have been trying to get preemption passed for years and we are still trying. Open carrying, getting arrested, having my CC revoked, paying legal fees and obtaining a criminal record seems counter productive to me.

MamaLiberty

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:
Why not carry ALL the time, Everywhere possible, even you folks in occupied territory?
Because I am not willing to give up my CC license due to an illegal carrying of a firearm charge. Giving up that right in trying to bring attention to another aspect of that right does not seem prudent.

In MO we have been trying to get preemption passed for years and we are still trying. Open carrying, getting arrested, having my CC revoked, paying legal fees and obtaining a criminal record seems counter productive to me.
Seems like that would be covered where I said, "everywhere possible." But I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for anyone willing to live like that.

Vote with your feet! Live where you can carry all the time, everywhere without those worries.

But if you'd rather stay under the thumb, begging permission to live and defend yourself, I'm sorry for you. :(

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:

Seems like that would be covered where I said, "everywhere possible." But I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for anyone willing to live like that.

Vote with your feet! Live where you can carry all the time, everywhere without those worries.

But if you'd rather stay under the thumb, begging permission to live and defend yourself, I'm sorry for you. :(
The everywhere possible was followed by "even you folks in occupied territory?" which to me meant even places it was not legal. Hence my response.

Sometimes the better fight is from inside rather than outside. We continue to fight for preemption in MO to overcome the tangle of local laws prohibiting OC. We got the CC law passed 3+ years ago against intense opposition from St. Louis and KC. So, I do carry all the time. I just have to cover the pistol within city limits of the town I live in.

I noted that you live in Wyoming. Ironically, given your comments that, " Vote with your feet! Live where you can carry all the time, everywhere without those worries. But if you'd rather stay under the thumb, begging permission to live and defend yourself, I'm sorry for you.", while I can legally CC in 34 states, Wyoming is NOT one of those states. MO recognizes CC permits from all 50 states while WY only recognizes them from 23 states. If I visit Wyoming I am under your government's thumb and have to beg permission to live and defend myself with a concealed carry firearm. In all but a few local municipalities (one of which I happen to live in) I can OC or CC anywhere in my county and the four surrounding it. That's more free than I would be anywhere in Wyoming. :p

I'm not trying to start a flame war. We're all on the same side here and I understand your points. The above paragraph was simply to make the point that despite your strong words, even in your state, with a strong tradition of OC rights, some firearm rights are still limited. Most states have a way to go to regain our 2nd Amendment rights.

MamaLiberty

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm not trying to start a flame war. We're all on the same side here and I understand your points. The above paragraph was simply to make the point that despite your strong words, even in your state, with a strong tradition of OC rights, some firearm rights are still limited. Most states have a way to go to regain our 2nd Amendment rights.
That's only true if you insist on carrying concealed. If you CHOOSE to beg government permission to carry, that's your problem. And you can get a CCP in Wyoming with little trouble if you choose to go that route.

There is NO restricton at all for you or anyone else to open carry in Wyoming, anywhere, and at any time unless someone on private property asks you to leave - something I've never had a problem with.

This was all about OPEN CARRRY to begin with anyway, not CC. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.

I'd be very glad to participate. This would be a good project for OCDO. VCDL really can't get involved in such an event.
And why can't VCDL get "involved" in such an event? While I agree that as an organization, they probably would not propose it. I feel sure that anything that positively reinforced or otherwise exercised our rights under the Second Amendment would be supported by them. Countless times the members OC at meetings whether in a restaurant or not.

As long as we do not embarrass PVC, I am sure such an event would get mention in their alerts. :D
Yata hey

imperialism2024

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
That's only true if you insist on carrying concealed. If you CHOOSE to beg government permission to carry, that's your problem. And you can get a CCP in Wyoming with little trouble if you choose to go that route.

There is NO restricton at all for you or anyone else to open carry in Wyoming, anywhere, and at any time unless someone on private property asks you to leave - something I've never had a problem with.

This was all about OPEN CARRRY to begin with anyway, not CC. :)

Agree with you there. And there's also the fact that carrying concealed, practically speaking, never requires a permit anywhere, as it's not going to be visible that one is CCing. The fact that it is "concealed" is the permit, although illegal. Nonetheless, I don't think less of anyone who chooses to obey the "law", regardless of how arbitrary and draconian it is. I do worry, though, at what point all of this nation's "law-abiding gun owners" will finally push back. Our founding fathers, extremist anti-governmental terrorists by today's standards, risked capital punishment for saying "we've finally had enough".

Also, deepdiver, not everyone here is on the same side. There are three general groups of people on this site: those who want to convert us to carrying concealed because its tacticool, those who support open carry to defend themselves from evil people, and those who support open carry to defend themselves from evil governments.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't noticed that separation in the short time I have spent here. It seems to me that those 3 would go together. I conceal carry at times even if it is legal to OC because I don't want to reveal that I have a firearm, and I thought the point of the 2nd Amendment was so that citizens could protect themselves, period, be it from evil people or a corrupt government. I don't see why any of those would naturally be opposing issues. If there is indeed such a division on the forum I find that sad and counter productive for everyone.

BluesBear

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
An OC "day" might be fine for some areas, and some people who can't or won't OC all the time. But it seems a pretty whimpy effort to me. Why not carry ALL the time, Everywhere possible, even you folks in occupied territory?

The key word is AWARENESS. It's National Open Carry Awarness Day And as an "awarness day" it can even be declared and observed in areas that currently do not allow open carry.

You think that making the entire United States of America aware that peaceful, lawful, open carry islawful in many states is a "pretty whimpy effort"?

:cuss:

You think that educating the masses that peaceful open carry of firearms as a normal everyday occurance,poses absolutely no threat to other peaceful law abiding people is a "pretty whimpy effort"?

Methinks you have no idea of how the true concept of Liberty works.

And yet you ask why.The answer is simple. The answer is, Because.

Because

• there are millions of people who are ignorant of gun laws
  • there are millions of prople who are ignorant about guns
  • there arethousands of people who don't know if it is lawful in their locale or not
  • there are thousands of people who are not aware that if it is lawful in their area then it's lawful almost everywhere
  • there are many who will gladly carry once they learn it is okay
  • some people are simply afraid to openly carry because they never see anyone else do it
  • too many people live in areaswhere local law enforcement is ignorant of lawful open carry
  • too many people live in areaswhere local law enforcement is defiant of lawful open carry
  • some people are so comfortable withconcealed carry but they are wary of open carry
  • the sheeple NEED to see ordinary people carrying guns is nothing to be afraid of
  • the news media needs to realize that ordinary people carrying guns is nothing to be afraid of
  • if there can be;

• National Salad Month
  • National Safety Month
  • National Duckling Month
  • National High Blood Pressure Month
  • National Egg Month
  • National Photo Month
  • National Digestive Disease Awareness Month
  • National Scrapbooking Month
  • National Business Image Awareness Month
  • National Salsa Month
  • National Scholarship Month
  • National Good Car Care Month
  • National Hamburger Month
  • National Arthritis Month
  • National Beef Month
  • National Barbecue Month
  • National Motorcycle Safety Month
  • National Teaching and Joy Month
  • National Allergy/Asthma month
  • National Promote your ideas month
  • National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
  • National Mental Health Month
  • National Strawberry Month
  • National Teaching & Joy Month
and

• National Pizza Month
  • National Breast Cancer Awareness Month Computer Learning Month
  • National Sarcastics Awareness Month
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month
  • National Roller Skating Month
  • National Dental Hygeine Month
  • National Crime Prevention Month
  • National Pasta Month
  • World Chocolate Awareness Month
  • National Seafood Month
  • National AIDS Month
  • National Clock Month
  • National Popcorn Month
  • National Orthodontic Month
  • National Dessert Month
then why not a National Open Carry Awareness Month?

If we, as ODCO, declare it soas a group, then we can start the process of having it proclaimed as such by our state governments and hopefully, finally, by the federal government.

OCDO is the perfect organization to become the foundation of any Open Carry Awareness movenemt. Since the laws regarding open carry vary so much from state to state it must be started (and monitored) first atthe state level. There needs to be a source of correct, accurateinformation available to ensure the success of NOCAM/W/D.

Once again I propose;

• May 10 as National Open Carry Awareness Day
  • the week of May 10 as National Open Carry Awareness Week
  • the month of May as National Open Carry Awareness Month

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bluesbear is right on target.
He has addressed the issues point by point.
Maybe a little bit of overkill though.:)

Some OC all of the time, others can't OC because of restrictions: state law, work place rules etc. Others chose not to OC, preferring to CC. Some do neither but support the right or are not fully aware of their/our right to do so. Some people are intelligently informed; others are ignorant of the laws, data/facts, training available et al. Obviously, it is those that are unaware or ill informed whom we wish to reach in the greatest possible number.

Whether we were to promote an Open Carry Month, an Open Carry Awareness Month or a Right to Keep and Bear Arms (RKBA) Month; there is the opportunity to concentrate media attention, the public's awareness and focus positive attention on our cause. It may well be to our advantage to consider a RKBA Month as this would encompass many sundry groups: CCs, OCs, hunters, target shooters, home defense and plinkers - all proponents of a common, inalienable right. More groups, more people, more money - power in numbers!

Before you jump to remind me that this is an Open Carry group, I known that and support that fully. In supporting a RKBA Month, we as an independent yet related group would demonstrate our beliefs/rights by OCing. Whatever the groups decision, should we be able to reach a consensus, I will support it.

Maybe after hashing this out further ( keep it civil and on target), setting up a poll might be in order.

Yata hey

MamaLiberty

imported post

I fully agree with all the reasons, Bluesbear - which is why I carry all the time, everywhere and do my best to teach anyone who will accept it. By "whimpy" I meant settling for just one day, not the effort.

Unfortunately, one OC day (or month) is not going to stand out much among all those. Can you say, "lost in the shuffle?"

• National Salad Month
  • National Safety Month
  • National Duckling Month
  • National High Blood Pressure Month
  • National Egg Month
  • National Photo Month
  • National Digestive Disease Awareness Month
  • National Scrapbooking Month
  • National Business Image Awareness Month
  • National Salsa Month
  • National Scholarship Month
  • National Good Car Care Month
  • National Hamburger Month
  • National Arthritis Month
  • National Beef Month
  • National Barbecue Month
  • National Motorcycle Safety Month
  • National Teaching and Joy Month
  • National Allergy/Asthma month
  • National Promote your ideas month
  • National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
  • National Mental Health Month
  • National Strawberry Month
  • National Teaching & Joy Month
  • National Pizza Month
  • National Breast Cancer Awareness Month Computer Learning Month
  • National Disability Employment Awareness Month
  • National Roller Skating Month
  • National Dental Hygeine Month
  • National Crime Prevention Month
  • National Pasta Month
  • World Chocolate Awareness Month
  • National Seafood Month
  • National AIDS Month
  • National Clock Month
  • National Popcorn Month
  • National Orthodontic Month
  • National Dessert Month
But we don't need to do the same things. We don't even need to agree. We just each need to remain congruent with what we believe.

More power to you all, whatever you decide to do.

ace1001

imported post

It will stand out as much as the gun on your belt. If many do it, MANY will notice. Ace

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Now you are hiding behind it being off topic? The question of what will you do on National OC Day is very on topic I think, you said it was a good idea and I agree with you. I just want to have an idea of how much support we will have. Its good to know if people like you will participate, help out or not.

I'd be very glad to participate. This would be a good project for OCDO. VCDL really can't get involved in such an event.
And why can't VCDL get "involved" in such an event? While I agree that as an organization, they probably would not propose it. I feel sure that anything that positively reinforced or otherwise exercised our rights under the Second Amendment would be supported by them. Countless times the members OC at meetings whether in a restaurant or not.

As long as we do not embarrass PVC, I am sure such an event would get mention in their alerts. :D
Yata hey

Yah, mention it would get. VCDL is an org committed to rights and open carry is a right. But VCDL takes no position on OC or CC. Therefore, VCDL really couldn't propose it without changing their mission.

OCDO, OTOH, is all about open carry (as well as other subjects, of course). I can't think of a better org to propose/develop/plan/xxx a National OC Day public relations event for the greater good of OCers and OC as a concept.

It would take a LOT of work to have it come off well--but the benefits could be very substantial. It would be an interesting news story to the media: novel, shocking, comprehensible, engaging, visual, etc. We could leverage that.

A National OC Day is not about the ordinary OCing that people already do. It is not a replacement for what OCers are doing now.
nosmiley.gif

A National Open Carry Day is about communicating the concept of OCon favorable terms to the OC community and rasing awareness of the concept without going through the negative filters existing in the current information channels.

If done right, it's free advertising.
yessmiley.gif

ace1001

imported post

How much work? Call local LE tell them what is going on, maybe media. Strap on and go about your day. Everone else will catch up. Ace

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:

A National Open Carry Day is about communicating the concept of OCon favorable terms to the OC community and rasing awareness of the concept without going through the negative filters existing in the current information channels.

If done right, it's free advertising.
yessmiley.gif

Here. Here's an example. You know about National Ammo Day, right?

Well, here is some favorable press that the NAD got. Notice, it sends "a message."

Free advertising.
yessmiley.gif

That headlineon May 10, 2008 could read: Gun owners mark NationalOpen CarryDay

Here's the story on NAD:

Gun owners mark National Ammo Day

By BRAD WONG
The Seattle Post Intelligencer
updated 4:15 a.m. ET, Mon., Nov. 19, 2007

Seattle resident Chris Pierce had left Butch's Gun Shop on Sunday and was heading for the countryside in North Bend to fire rounds when he heard about National Ammo Day. "I think it's a great idea. It sends the message that firearms aren't going away," he said. "You can't take out one part of the Constitution without ruining all of it."

The thought of Monday as National Ammo Day, a period dedicated to buying bullets to support the Second Amendment, might send shivers down the backs of some Seattle residents.

But Second Amendment supporters are encouraging law-abiding gun owners to buy 100 rounds Monday to back manufacturers, gun stores and ranges.

"It's important to have this right for self-defense to defend your family and property. It also protects people's right to go hunting," said Mark Taff, executive director of the Bellevue-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

"As a last resort, it protects us against tyranny from our government."

The amendment, he added, is worthless unless supporters have bullets and places to shoot.

The group's chairman is Alan Gottlieb, who started the Second Amendment Foundation.

While many gun owners are preparing to part with their cash, a Washington CeaseFire spokeswoman said the day should have a different emphasis.

"As we approach Thanksgiving, we would better benefit from responsible firearms owners reminding the public of the importance of safe firearm storage," group executive director Kristen Comer said.

"The safest place for firearms ... is locked and out of reach of children and others who might otherwise place themselves in danger."

She said she believes responsible gun owners are not in jeopardy of losing access to firearms and bullets.

A spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Seattle said his agency has no position on National Ammo Day.

To mark it, Taff plans to buy 100 rounds and fire them at a Bellevue range.

While Monday marks the sixth annual National Ammo Day, Taff heard about it only recently.

He was not concerned that criminals would use the day to clear ammunition shelves and then commit robberies.

"They could do that any day of the week," he said. "Criminals aren't going to obey any law."

Outside Butch's, a North Seattle business, Pierce said his father and grandfather introduced him to firearms.

"It's just a hobby," the 21-year-old said. "But it's about defense, defense of the homeland."

He said he abhors the name "assault weapon" and prefers "homeland defense" rifle to describe his semi-automatic AR-15. He also has a 9 mm handgun.

On Sunday, he spent about $60 on 80 rounds. On Monday, he said he plans to buy 100 rounds.

"People should be exercising their rights," said his friend Justin Fuzi, 24, of Seattle. "This is one we shouldn't be losing."

Pierce realized that critics, especially in Seattle, might disagree about owning and using firearms, but "what we do is defend their right for them to say what they want about us."

P-I reporter Brad Wong can be reached at 206-448-8137 or bradwong@seattlepi.com.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21877803/

xmirage2kx

imported post

InUtah a group of us here on OCDO and Utah Concealed carry have been getting together once a month (usually the 3rd Saturday) and having an OC lunch/dinner event. So far we have made a few big splashes in the water and have our articles published in the local paper and even made the NRA magazine, (and from what I have been told a mention on a national radio talk show, I forget which one so I can't go back and check). If some of you other guys get out and start doing the same thing it will be easier to get a national thing started.

( http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200)