• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Library carry?

Stretch

Well geeze friends, we know or at least hope they can read. Maybe they just cannot comprehend what is written. Silly us for making such assumptions.

Leatherneck

I rec'd a similar email response to my questions and asked who to talk to so we can get the policy changed. Still awaiting a response to that one.

Think it's time we go do some research on state laws at the library? Anyone have any ideas of where we should meet up?

Contrarian

library carry,con't

Thanks for all of the interest and input - if any hear from the Lbrary Wizards I hope that you will update the thread..

Wait and hope: if that fails, take action.

Leatherneck

I got the same copy/paste email response that everyone else got. So I sent this in response.

Andra Addison,
Thank you for your responses. I noted that you compared the library to schools and government buildings. The library is neither a school nor a federal building, so it is illegal for the library board to enact policies that are in contradiction to the state law. So this policy needs to be rewritten to be in compliance with RCW 9.41.290 (included below).
Who would we talk to about starting this process?

RCW 9.41.290

...I included the RCW here, but you don't need to read it, because we already know it, right?

Anyway, I haven't received a response, nor do I expect to. Sounds like we're going to have to jump over her head.

Lovenox

Same cookie cutter response. I recieved it two days ago:

"Greetings from The Seattle Public Library! Thank you for your follow up comments on the Library's rule regarding firearms. The Library Board carefully considered all of the issues and determined that the policy is in the best interests of the Library, its patrons and employees. Sincerely, Andra AddisonCommunications Director"

Leatherneck

I just got an email a couple days ago telling me that I can write to the board, and they gave me the address. I get the feeling my letter would make it straight to the round file.

Lovenox

Do they have public board meetings? What about putting public pressure on them with the media present (if we can get them to show up) at public board meetings? It worked with Snohomish County.

Im down for another meet.

heresolong

Or just keep going to the library openly carrying a firearm. When they ask you to leave, politely decline. When they call the cops, ask the police to point out the law to the library employees. They can't legally trespass you, they can't arrest you. Eventually you file a harassment complaint with the local PD against the library employees in your local library. Eventually you file a harassment lawsuit against the head of the library and the board of directors. I suspect it would never get that far.

Contrarian

" When they ask you to leave, politely decline. When they call the cops, ask the police to point out the law to the library employees. They can't legally trespass you, they can't arrest you. "

OK, I'm a little slow this morning...why can the cops not tag you for trespass, and cuff and stuff?

I thought that any facility, be it 7-11 or the library could refuse to allow you access - the old "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone' thing. Call PD and have you removed for loitering if nothing else.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
" When they ask you to leave, politely decline. When they call the cops, ask the police to point out the law to the library employees. They can't legally trespass you, they can't arrest you. "

OK, I'm a little slow this morning...why can the cops not tag you for trespass, and cuff and stuff?

I thought that any facility, be it 7-11 or the library could refuse to allow you access - the old "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone' thing. Call PD and have you removed for loitering if nothing else.

7-11 is a private business, and as such private property rights prevail. The library is a government run agency (a municipal corporation). The government cannot refuse you service.

Contrarian

7-11 is a private business, and as such private property rights prevail. The library is a government run agency (a municipal corporation). The government cannot refuse you service.

Is there a cite for this ? I'm the OP on this and my librarian is a really nice lady who, I hope, is amenable to reason...and the word of law.

Last edited:

deanf

Writ of Mandamus under RCW 7.16 to compel the library administration to rescind their unlawful (at least in King County, vis a vis the Chan case) administrative rule.

Should be fairly easy given the Chan case.

DoomGoober

This may be more powerful if we were to show up en-mass and all be asked to leave with media present (if not, we just record it ourselves and put it on YouTube.) Who has press contacts?

Didn't someone do something similar to this at a community center and file a lawsuit? Who's a lawyer here?

Last edited:

heresolong

Writ of Mandamus under RCW 7.16 to compel the library administration to rescind their unlawful (at least in King County, vis a vis the Chan case) administrative rule.

Should be fairly easy given the Chan case.

Here's my favorite part of the law.

RCW 7.16.150
Mandamus defined.

The writ of mandamus may be denominated a writ of mandate.

WHAT?!?