• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Limitations on the weapons we OC in Virginia

MSC 45ACP

Carrying an "intermediate" weapon may be a good idea, but I can't afford a Taser. This merits deeper thought and discussion. Germaine to the conversation would be the legality of carrying it (OC and/or CC) along with the legal use of the chosen weapon. Of course we're going to carry something we're most comfortable using and have adequate training and experience with. "Adequate" training would include the definition of what consitiutes "deadly force" and what is not considered deadly force. I was taught that any hit above the shoulder with an ASP expandable baton was considered deadly force... Below the shoulder was not.

The old 3D and 4D-cell Mag Lights are BIG and HEAVY. Not very practical to carry around all the time and difficult to use in some situations. Many here remember "Three From the Ring". It worked.

Carrying a PR-24 baton isn't a great idea unless you're trying to intimidate someone...
One look at this thing and everyone around you knows you're "ready to go to work".
It is an impressive tool. It is very effective, too.

OC ("Pepper") Spray, CS or CN (Different types of "tear gas" that don't work as quickly or effectively as OC, nor are they biodegradable. Some studies have concluded they cause cancer)

Which ones can be CC'd and which must be OC'd?

I've done some research on Tasers... Pretty cool, but still out of my price range.