• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

FreeInAZ

Wow... Troll detector is going to break the needle off!
On topic - OCed with a holster (not behind my belt buckle...good way to become neutered) no issues. 8)

Plan B

Banned
Just seems like people are reacting differently now. That is what matters IMO.

A few years ago, OC was rare. We got to go here and there, get proned out now and then, and that was the way of it. People got used to it, getting desensitized, and educated, things were going great for OC, the future was bright. I noticed we could OC, people were curious, many trifolds handed out and so on. After Arts Beats and Eats a couple years ago, people got used to it, fewer people asked about OC, and there were less people in need of trifolds. Now it feels different from people. I'm getting the vibe that people are really getting sick of it. It pains me to say it, I've worked hard and paid a lot for OC personally. The Target thing I'm convinced was Bloombergs doing, Starbucks, and a couple other high profile instances has had an effect. I think a significant one.

I wish I had the answers.

jeffrey-r

OCed at Trader Joes, just grabbing two things. Waiting in the long-ass lines, joint was busy at 5:30 after work. Dude behind me has two wine bottles, we both patiently waiting. Just before my turn is up I happen to turn back toward him a little and he asks "You ever have any problems open carrying?" I answer, "No, I've never had a negative encounter, never been kicked out of a place, never been stopped by police." He said good. Then after I paid and as I was leaving, he told me to have a good day and be safe.

Which is pretty standard interaction I have when OCing. Either a question about my experience, a question about what I'm carrying, or a question about legality. No fear, no accusations, no confrontation.

Oh yeah, then OCed at my car dealership for a recall and oil change service. I did a lot of standing around, especially when cashing out, and no one seemed to care. No one said anything about it, but the people around didn't clam up or act any differently either.

Then went and picked up some food (was fine) and a couple drinks from the party store I always stop at (obviously fine, those guys see me a couple times a week).

So... yeah. OC, no big deal.

Last edited:

Scooter

I rarely post about OCing because it has become so completely boring and predictable, as it should be. I get asked questions now and then,hear an encouraging word but mostly, nobody cares. The media sure has convinced some people that MDA has won some kind of battle with some of the stores they have targeted. It's not true.
Here is a short list of places I OC'd lately: around the house and neighborhood on walks, Kroger, Cabela's, Target, McDonald's, Burger King, Lowe's, Home Depot, Meijer and JCPenny.
All no problem. Carry on.

Last edited:

Mosnar87

I Regularly OC while out and about on the weekends and aside from being profusely and enthusiastically thanked for OCing and "exercising our right" by an employee at our local Kawasaki dealer last weekend I haven't had anyone make anything more than a passing comment in months.

As others have said, we haven't "lost" anything to MDA and OCing hasn't suddenly turned back into a hazardous activity.

OC Freedom

I was out shopping at Macy's and JCPenneys on Saturday with the wife and spent about an hour at each store. Nothing said or any type of reaction at Macy's, but had something interesting happen at Penneys. Since the wife was trying on clothes, I thought I might as well try on some Levis since I'm at Penneys anyway. I found five pair of jeans in my size and started heading to the fitting room.

As I was heading down a main Isle, this boy about 6-7 years old blurts out loudly "that guy has a gun" while pointing at me. I just kept walking like nothing happened and noticed the people around me didn't even seem to look up or change what they were doing. My thought was when I get out of this fitting room that the police might be in the store and now I will have to deal with this situation. When I got out of the fitting room and entered the store, there were no cops, no manager, no one paying any attention at all. It was strange that no one seemed to react when that kid loudly said "that guy has a gun". Well, it is Idaho after all.

DocWalker

I was out shopping at Macy's and JCPenneys on Saturday with the wife and spent about an hour at each store. Nothing said or any type of reaction at Macy's, but had something interesting happen at Penneys. Since the wife was trying on clothes, I thought I might as well try on some Levis since I'm at Penneys anyway. I found five pair of jeans in my size and started heading to the fitting room.

As I was heading down a main Isle, this boy about 6-7 years old blurts out loudly "that guy has a gun" while pointing at me. I just kept walking like nothing happened and noticed the people around me didn't even seem to look up or change what they were doing. My thought was when I get out of this fitting room that the police might be in the store and now I will have to deal with this situation. When I got out of the fitting room and entered the store, there were no cops, no manager, no one paying any attention at all. It was strange that no one seemed to react when that kid loudly said "that guy has a gun". Well, it is Idaho after all.

I get that also...lol The reaction is even better when someone say's...."He doesn't have a gun". It must be a tourist from California or someone from Portland. I love Idaho

Michigander

In regards to the point (apparently pat) brought up, I have been saying since I lived in the free republic of az years ago that a mix of a lot of businesses prohibiting ocing and just as many or more not caring is the end game of what happens when ocing becomes normalized and understood by the public at large. The difference for us is that we still have far less prohibiting businesses since we aren't swamped with left coast liberals, but the dynamic still very much applies to this state and the nation.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

In regards to the point (apparently pat) brought up, I have been saying since I lived in the free republic of az years ago that a mix of a lot of businesses prohibiting ocing and just as many or more not caring is the end game of what happens when ocing becomes normalized and understood by the public at large. The difference for us is that we still have far less prohibiting businesses since we aren't swamped with left coast liberals, but the dynamic still very much applies to this state and the nation.

Agreed. This was going to happen just like in other states that have more or less "normalized Open Carry" some will want to restrict it, other's simply won't care. But to stop because one chain store asked that people stop open carry in their stores is not a reason to stop altogether. To my knowledge they have not asked that all guns be banned just the ones you can see. And while I don't really care for that I can see the point of it. They were probably dumped on by a info war by VPC Bloomy and others that they just decided to clear up the mail room and adopt this policy to shut them up. Not the best way to go to me but that's the choice they made. Its usually easier to give in than to fight and they chose not to fight. Starbucks held out a little longer, however I see a poor dynamic starting. When an attacker hits on a good tactic they usually stick with it until it stops working. There was a news article that the next "target"
is the Kroger chain, what we need to do is E-mail Kroger and let them know that we will be taking our business elsewhere should they give in to the bloomy's. Fight fire with fire.

wimwag

Open carry causes more harm than good. I didn't used to think so, but the Target campaign worked, it changed peoples minds about it.

********. Target HQ is in the Twin Cities in the state of Libsota. The libtards who run things merely stated their personal opinion, then pretended to do something lest the rest of their Wisconsin shoppers head to WalMart.

Plan B

Banned
Agreed. This was going to happen just like in other states that have more or less "normalized Open Carry" some will want to restrict it, other's simply won't care. But to stop because one chain store asked that people stop open carry in their stores is not a reason to stop altogether. To my knowledge they have not asked that all guns be banned just the ones you can see. And while I don't really care for that I can see the point of it. They were probably dumped on by a info war by VPC Bloomy and others that they just decided to clear up the mail room and adopt this policy to shut them up. Not the best way to go to me but that's the choice they made. Its usually easier to give in than to fight and they chose not to fight. Starbucks held out a little longer, however I see a poor dynamic starting. When an attacker hits on a good tactic they usually stick with it until it stops working. There was a news article that the next "target"
is the Kroger chain, what we need to do is E-mail Kroger and let them know that we will be taking our business elsewhere should they give in to the bloomy's. Fight fire with fire.

We really should give Kroger a heads up.

These policies seem to be catching on. Can't say as I blame them, this sort of thing isn't their job, it's ours. They know that if they can't get us in Lansing, they can get us on policy. Stores put up signs, schools threaten trespass, libraries go for the courts... It never stops.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We really should give Kroger a heads up.

These policies seem to be catching on. Can't say as I blame them, this sort of thing isn't their job, it's ours. They know that if they can't get us in Lansing, they can get us on policy. Stores put up signs, schools threaten trespass, libraries go for the courts... It never stops.

Give Kroger a heads up about what? They have not gone over to the dark side. Better to thank them for following state laws - which is what they are doing.

You make it all sound so negative, when in fact we are winning. OC is by and large accepted in more places by more people - the number of states where OC is legal has grown exponentially over the years.

Can we rest on our laurels? Of course not. We must continue to lead by example and show favor with facts over fiction, especially with our legislators. A simple tried and true formula with a lot of win in it.

Plan B

Banned
Give Kroger a heads up about what? They have not gone over to the dark side. Better to thank them for following state laws - which is what they are doing.

You make it all sound so negative, when in fact we are winning. OC is by and large accepted in more places by more people - the number of states where OC is legal has grown exponentially over the years.

Can we rest on our laurels? Of course not. We must continue to lead by example and show favor with facts over fiction, especially with our legislators. A simple tried and true formula with a lot of win in it.

If Bloomberg is going to pay another round of people to involve the Krogers chain by buying people AR-15 rifles to carry in the stores, then it would be wise for our big groups like MGO, MOC, MCRGO and the NRA, to publicly let Krogers know that if people start carrying in the stores, that it is NOT the gun rights activists, but paid plants there trying to force them into a gun ban.

B

Bikenut

If Bloomberg is going to pay another round of people to involve the Krogers chain by buying people AR-15 rifles to carry in the stores, then it would be wise for our big groups like MGO, MOC, MCRGO and the NRA, to publicly let Krogers know that if people start carrying in the stores, that it is NOT the gun rights activists, but paid plants there trying to force them into a gun ban.
I am unaware of any factual proof that Bloomberg, or any of the anti gun organizations he funds, has paid people to carry long guns in stores in an attempt to agitate and/or push an anti gun agenda. If you have any actual/factual proof of such a thing it could be used to completely discredit Bloomberg's entire anti gun efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Creamsicle

Or... organize an effort to get selected for such an activity, get a free AR-15, then don't actually do it because they wouldn't be willing to call you out on it anyway... win-win. :-D

Plan B

Banned
+1 Evil FTW lol

Of course a billionaire governor and his minions are just going to leave that kind of career ending information just lying around.

Think about it. Bloomberg says he's going to put a bazillion dollars on gun control.
Open carry of AR 15s irritates people. I mean, even gun rights supporters turn their backs on them just like this site does in banning the free exchange of intelligence here.
We know, that when people want to OC, they come to sites like this one, and ask what the rules are. When they ask about rifles, we tell them that it will do more harm than good, because it does.
Before this rash of long gun open carryings, we didnt see people coming online and to meets asking about what it is that we do.
Bloomberg knows that he can get further in the private sector with bans than with common sense and law.
Bloomberg is well able to, and would without hesitation, pay 500 or $1,000 to get a gun 'off the streets'. So it isn't a stretch to think that he wouldn't have an issue paying a few people to carry a gun in a store like Target, make the news, and turn in the AR for destruction. For him, this is a win-win, just another evil black death machine off the streets. He probably believes he's saved a whole classroom full of kids.
We know by his actions that he would have no issue pulling a stunt like this.

Last edited: