• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

local high school posting "no firearms allowed" on doors and property

TheQ

At this rate, all it would take to eliminate all of our rights, not just guns, is to follow the whims of every minor league local activist judge in the state. If you're going for public office, you really need to correct your posture.

You know what Neil? You don't need a CPL. Why don't you just come to Ingham county and open carry right into a bar. I will call the police and then they will arrest you and you can sit before Judge Aqualina and try to explain your case to her.

After all, CPLs are unconstitutional. Go ahead, show us how I feel activist does it. You're not afraid, are you?

TheQ

you should fit in quite well working for them.

There's a time and place for such things. You dont just say, "Well, I guess that's over", when some judge rules without law.

Have you been dating Mary Jane again?

Are you suggesting that I do it as you did and get found responsible for carrying in a pistol free zone?

No thanks, my kind of activism doesn't involve a prison cell; unlike yours.

Last edited:

TheQ

I heard your gun was "in the shop" the last time you were needed for some activism.:p

As a matter of fact, it was. I have one handgun I have an active retention holster for (XDm). That particular gun needed repair. It was fixed a couple weeks back. What of it?

At least I showed up (all the way from Lansing). Did you?

Oh yes, paying for transportation is a problem these days, right?

You know what Neil? I'm not trying to argue with you.

I'm afraid others watching won't notice the difference. Good day.

Before you try to continue attacking my credibility, you should stop and think about who has more between you and I.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Can't we all just get along? Seriously guys with the constant fighting in threads it is easy to see why those against our 2A rights feel that they will prevail. :eek:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

mecayuse

:mad:

What I'm taking away from this discussion is that, in fact, any government agency be it federal, state, or local can restrict constitutional rights at their pleasure. In this particular instance anyone attempting to ignore these signs must first have bags of money to pay a legal defense team on a roll of the dice to argue your case in court (who, by the way will most likely not be sympathetic to your rights) and the guts to take the beatdown or tasing, public ridicule, potential loss of employment and property, and incarceration. The gubmint knows that you will likely lose more often than not in a legal challenge of this kind (and by "lose" I mean the case, your freedom, your property, and the right to ever carry a firearm for protection again) which is an extremely effective deterrent to anyone with anything to lose and an ounce of self preservation in them. Taking a hardline stance restricting any of your "rights" and making the penalty for trying your luck stiff enough is just as good as making it "the law". Better actually. Laws are made up of language that can be examined and must be defended. Internal "policy" invented out of whole cloth is fluid and can be adapted to suit the situation. Most people won't have the guts to challenge it, and the few that do, are likely to get their dicks slapped. One out of a hundred may "win" in some small fashion but just tweak the policy a little and go back to business as usual. Who needs laws anyhow?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I did not know that there was any resolution needed. The law explicitly exempts cpl holders from the prohibition of firearms on school property.

I will be carrying for the third year in a row at the high school tonight for the fireworks.

One of the arguments in the briefs in the mgo case is whether the legislature occupies the entire field. It is within the realm of possibility that the court will use this as the reason that auhorities are preempted.

We will just have to wait and see.

In MCGRO v CITY OF FERNDALE (2003) the court stated the following:

"Because the net effect of § 1102 is to completely occupy the field, we find it unnecessary to address the other Llewellyn factors"

therefore, the Michigan Court of Appeals has already clearly explained that the state completely occupies the field... meaning CADL can't regulate firearms...

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
:mad:

What I'm taking away from this discussion is that, in fact, any government agency be it federal, state, or local can restrict constitutional rights at their pleasure. In this particular instance anyone attempting to ignore these signs must first have bags of money to pay a legal defense team on a roll of the dice to argue your case in court (who, by the way will most likely not be sympathetic to your rights) and the guts to take the beatdown or tasing, public ridicule, potential loss of employment and property, and incarceration. The gubmint knows that you will likely lose more often than not in a legal challenge of this kind (and by "lose" I mean the case, your freedom, your property, and the right to ever carry a firearm for protection again) which is an extremely effective deterrent to anyone with anything to lose and an ounce of self preservation in them. Taking a hardline stance restricting any of your "rights" and making the penalty for trying your luck stiff enough is just as good as making it "the law". Better actually. Laws are made up of language that can be examined and must be defended. Internal "policy" invented out of whole cloth is fluid and can be adapted to suit the situation. Most people won't have the guts to challenge it, and the few that do, are likely to get their dicks slapped. One out of a hundred may "win" in some small fashion but just tweak the policy a little and go back to business as usual. Who needs laws anyhow?

Those of us who have been OCing in Michigan for years have heard it all and continue to OC. Go back and read some of the earliest Michigan posts you can find...Law Enforcemnt involvement was a common occurrence. In relative comparison, the confrontation we see now is minor to non-existent.

A sign is not going to get me all worked up...I OC where I want to. What is probably the best course of action is someone local to contact the school and find out 1) why the sign was put up, 2) contact the "authority" (Board, Superintendent, or Principal) and inform them that their regulation of firearms IS illegal; their right to regulate is preempted...not this "may be illegal" that I have seen floating around lately.

Most likely they think that since some people can't posses on school grounds, such a sign is legal, ...even if there are exceptions