• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Logan City request self-rule on guns

apollosmith

imported post

Thanks to everyone that came - especially those that drove. I didn't get an exact count, but it was maybe 12-15 people there. The council unanimously made all the correct changes. They removed all of the firearms restrictions, and made some clarifications regarding regulation of discharge (change "gun or pistol" to "firearm" to remove possibilities of kiddies breaking the law by discharging their water pistols). The ordinance about selling or displaying switchblades remains.

hartazo did an awesome job presenting for us and hopefully the council will consider our opinion regarding educating law enforcement and dropping the silly idea of the resolution to the legislature to get rid of preemption. We'll keep an eye on the agendas to see if it comes back up, but I highly doubt it will. I had anticipated informing the police chief of the changes and of the state laws, but he quit yesterday (good for us!), so I'll wait until his replacement comes online.

So a small victory for us. In one small town. Only about 1/3 of the cities in the state to go. This has shown that this process is not very effective. I'm going to be working with my legislators to push forward a bill that would force cities and municipalities to rescind all of the laws that are in violation of the state uniform firearms laws. If you're interested in doing the same or in helping in the effort, please let me know. I really have no idea what the process is, but I think this is the best way to get these issues addressed.

Ebeye

imported post

Besides being another boring city meeting, things went well. While I didn't see everybody's belt who was there, it seemed to me that with 12-15 people I'd have seen more than just two side arms in the room besides myself and a police captain. Seemed odd to me, given the issue at hand.

Now what's next on the agenda!?

whiptrackercracker

imported post

Oh there were plenty of guns in the room, its just that some of us came straight from work. I would have OC'd but I work at the university and drove straight to the meeting. Yes, that's really no excuse, but I figured it unwise to be shifting a gun into my OC holster whilst siting in the police parking lot. :) I too would have liked to see the room packed full of gun totting folks, but having sat through that meeting, I doubt they would have noticed. Actually, as far as city meetings go, this one was rather short and organized, compared to many city council meetings I've attended outside of Logan. None the less, I believe we got our point across!!! Thanks to everyone who came and those could not, but lent support.

apollosmith

imported post

Article in the paper today - http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2009/08/05/news/news03-08-05-09.txt

It seems Ms. Swenson still might be set on sending the resolution to the legislature. Of note, even if she brings this back up and the council agrees, it would not be a public hearing item anyway. If you don't like the idea, personal and direct contact to the city council is the best approach.

mqondo

imported post

Where is the paperwork I need to request "self-rule" on guns? That could come in pretty handy. :p