• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking For Opinions On This 1911

jsimmons

This is mine - a Springfield G.I. with Novak sights, a lower/flared ejection port, the Defense Package, a trigger job, and a match barrel bushing, all done by the Springfield Custom Shop. Total cost was $970, and it's a tack driver:

1911_custom_04.jpg

I really like Springfield's stuff (I have one of their XD40's as well).

Joe Reeser

I have that exact model (PI9132LP) and I love it. I carry it frequently. I have made three modifications.
  1. I replaced the two-piece FLGR with a GI style so I wouldn't need a tool to field strip it.
  2. I had the ambidextrous safety replaced with a single side because in certain instances, the safety would get knocked off without my knowledge, usually from sitting in certain hard-back chairs at restaurants and such.
  3. I modified the rear target sight by grinding with a dremel :eek: to reduce the sight catching on my hand during clearance drills and fast reload drills.
I like the target sights, although with my older eyes I do paint the front sight a bright green so I can pick it up faster. There are low profile target sights available but I just don't see the need.

It has fed everything I fired through it. I carry Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P. I've also carried Remington Golden Saber in 185gr +P and 230 gr. I have fed it all kinds of FMJ and currently hand load 200 gr lead semi-wad cutters. The pistol is more accurate with all of them then I will ever be.

The only malfunctions I have had were three failures to return to battery in the first 100 rounds. It's been flawless since then and I have almost 3000 rounds through it. I use the factory mags and Wilson Combat 47D 8 rounders with the extended base plate to facilitate reloads.

I don't know what else to tell you so if you have any questions I can try to answer them. It's a great gun. You won't be sorry.

SHAMUSPI

My knowledge of Springfields is only that which I have read. For me, its two major drawbacks are the two piece barrel, and being owned by CZ. However, I can not argue that it has a good rep.

DrakeXD

I have that exact model (PI9132LP) and I love it. I carry it frequently. I have made three modifications.
  1. I replaced the two-piece FLGR with a GI style so I wouldn't need a tool to field strip it.
  2. I had the ambidextrous safety replaced with a single side because in certain instances, the safety would get knocked off without my knowledge, usually from sitting in certain hard-back chairs at restaurants and such.
  3. I modified the rear target sight by grinding with a dremel :eek: to reduce the sight catching on my hand during clearance drills and fast reload drills.
I like the target sights, although with my older eyes I do paint the front sight a bright green so I can pick it up faster. There are low profile target sights available but I just don't see the need.

It has fed everything I fired through it. I carry Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P. I've also carried Remington Golden Saber in 185gr +P and 230 gr. I have fed it all kinds of FMJ and currently hand load 200 gr lead semi-wad cutters. The pistol is more accurate with all of them then I will ever be.

The only malfunctions I have had were three failures to return to battery in the first 100 rounds. It's been flawless since then and I have almost 3000 rounds through it. I use the factory mags and Wilson Combat 47D 8 rounders with the extended base plate to facilitate reloads.

I don't know what else to tell you so if you have any questions I can try to answer them. It's a great gun. You won't be sorry.

So you use +P ammo in your 1911? I was under the impression that it wasn't safe for that. As per SA's 1911 manual. No problems?

ODA 226

I have a Colt 1911 and a Springfield 1911. I carry the Springfield Micro-Compact .45 everyday. Springfield make a hellova 1911. You can't go wrong with it.

PDinDetroit

Joe Reeser

So you use +P ammo in your 1911? I was under the impression that it wasn't safe for that. As per SA's 1911 manual. No problems?

I use +P as my carry ammo. I don't fire that much of it because of the price and the extra wear and tear to the pistol that inevitably results. That being said, I have never had any problems. Even +P chamber pressures are fairly mild by today's standards. +P SAAMI pressure for a .45 Auto +P is 23,000 psi. A standard 9mm is 35,000 psi, IIRC. The manual that came with my pistol states, "+P ammunition is not recommended in pistols shorter than 5 inches." Since this is a 5" pistol there shouldn't be any problems.

I have only shot about 300 +Ps through it. I shoot 50 - 75 rounds through it when I switch ammo just to be sure there are no problems with feed issues, etc. I don't shoot the gun as much as I would like but I love it. :banana:

DrakeXD

I use +P as my carry ammo. I don't fire that much of it because of the price and the extra wear and tear to the pistol that inevitably results. That being said, I have never had any problems. Even +P chamber pressures are fairly mild by today's standards. +P SAAMI pressure for a .45 Auto +P is 23,000 psi. A standard 9mm is 35,000 psi, IIRC. The manual that came with my pistol states, "+P ammunition is not recommended in pistols shorter than 5 inches." Since this is a 5" pistol there shouldn't be any problems.

I have only shot about 300 +Ps through it. I shoot 50 - 75 rounds through it when I switch ammo just to be sure there are no problems with feed issues, etc. I don't shoot the gun as much as I would like but I love it. :banana:

Thanks for the info on that. I did miss the part about the 5" pistols. Which ammo do you prefer for your 1911?

Joe Reeser

Thanks for the info on that. I did miss the part about the 5" pistols. Which ammo do you prefer for your 1911?

I have carried Remington Golden Sabers in 185gr +P and the 230gr in the past. Now I carry either Winchester Ranger T in 230gr +P (I can pick them up locally for a decent price - 35$ per 50) or Federal HST 230gr +P off the 'net.

ExLipscombChief

For less C-notes, you can get the Taurus 1911 fully loaded. No need in anyone whining about Brazilian Taurus since Springfield's stuff in cast and forged by Imbel in Brazil. I'm usually a Colt snob, but, I am currently carrying the Remington 1911 r1. It has been a flawless, accurate pleasure to shoot.

KansasMustang

If Springfield makes their 1911's to the same exacting standards as their XD's (and I'm sure they do) than out of the box that 1911 will be a tack driver. I've fired about 300 rounds from my XD and think I may have had on or two fliers at best. And that was only due to gunner error LOL

CenTex

This is mine - a Springfield G.I. with Novak sights, a lower/flared ejection port, the Defense Package, a trigger job, and a match barrel bushing, all done by the Springfield Custom Shop. Total cost was $970, and it's a tack driver:

1911_custom_04.jpg

I really like Springfield's stuff (I have one of their XD40's as well).

Nice photo. Nice arrangement. Bullets look like jewelry.

UtahRSO

My 1911 is a Springfield Loaded Black Stainless Target model. I had the trigger reduced to just over a 4# pull, and a fiber-optic front sight. The tritium sight that it came with was great at night, but was very hard to find (the whole front sight seemed gray) during the day. But now I really like what I have.

DrakeXD

So DrakeXD, is there any update? Have you acquired the Springfield or still looking?

After all of the discussion here, I've decided to go with the SA PX9151LP. The Kimber's are a bit more than I want to pay for basically the same exact thing. As for the Taurus, my father has one and it is an excellent firearm, but I would prefer to stick with SA because I already have a XD9 and SA's customer service is far greater than Taurus.

I have yet to purchase it because I am still saving up, but hopefully after Christmas I'll have enough. I'll update here once I get it and take it to the range.

Since I've settled on which 1911 I'm going to get, does anyone have any suggestions for holsters for CC and/or OC?