• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Losing a Pet

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Oh... here we go... the owner of this was just tryin' to retrieve a golf ball in Berkeley County South Carolina...

*Shakes head in damn shame*

It's actually pretty funny how few people know gators live in wetlands of Eastern North and South Carolina.
You're right about this. So many have no idea that gators are in those areas. I've seen maybe seven or eight in South Carolina. And I met a lady in the mid 80's who lived in North Carolina (Brunswick County) and her land was bordered by back water. There was a very large alligator that use to sun itself from time to time in her back yard and once scared the crap out of some guests she had.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Oh... here we go... the owner of this was just tryin' to retrieve a golf ball in Berkeley County South Carolina...

*Shakes head in damn shame*

It's actually pretty funny how few people know gators live in wetlands of Eastern North and South Carolina.
You're right about this. So many have no idea that gators are in those areas. I've seen maybe seven or eight in South Carolina. And I met a lady in the mid 80's who lived in North Carolina (Brunswick County) and her land was bordered by back water. There was a very large alligator that use to sun itself from time to time in her back yard and once scared the crap out of some guests she had.

*Guest comes storming back into the house through the rear door*

Guest: Holy Christ!

Woman: What's the matter honey?

Guest: There's a huge gator hanging around your back yard! I think it saw me! It moved!

Woman: Oh, my. *laughter* That's just Maud, short for Maudette, she's just doing a little sunbathing so she can look good for the next hunt.

Guest: *Rememebers scenes from Lake Placid, then goes running for the front door*

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Anybody that know gators knows they will eat what they can when they need to eat. I have a place on the St Johns river a few miles frm Lake Jessup. Guess where they release all the gators they catch elsewhere in the state? At night you could walk across that lake on the backs of the gators. All you have to do is pay attention and respect them for what they are and what they COULD do if they wanted to.

Respect for large predators like gators is all that is required to accommodate their presence. Part of that is knowing how they live, giving them a little space when necessary, and being prepared if they think they see a buffet when they are looking at you. So long as they give me no reason to attack them, I am perfectly happy to just watch and enjoy them for what they are.
I was stationed at NAS Sanford along the St Johns in Seminole County.On 'duty' nights, 'had to take magazine temperatures 'n eyeball the mags... then make my 8 O'clock report to the station OOD. 'Had standing orders to carry the shotgun in the truck ('97 Win trenchgun) on that part of the Post 5 road after sundown, along with a .45 and a 'walkie-talkie'.'Gators would sometimes' invade' the mag area. 'Could hear the bull gators 'boomin'... 'n the 'ekk' sounds the little ones made. 'Course it's pitch black out there 'n lot'sa tall grass in the uncleared area beyong the mags. Bobcat all over hell too. Now 'n then a 'gator would run 'cross the road in front of the truck... They can run about 30mph for a short distance. Then... there was the snakes... LOTS of snakes. I made it a habit to carry a snake hook 'cause sometimes they'd be curled up in front of the magazine doors in the space between the entrance and theblast wall. (Earth covered/barracaded mags) I wasn't even 19 yrs oldyet...

okboomer

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Anybody that served at Camp LeJeune knows about the gators :cool:

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
“We moved into their country. We weren’t ignorant to the fact there were mountain lions around,” Butts said Friday. “Bears are around. Mountain lions are around. It is a danger of living in this area.”:uhoh:

“Obviously we never envisioned it as a reality for us.”:cry:

That's like saying I moved into the hood. I knew that there was crime there but I didn'tthink that it would happen to me.:shock:So I did nothing to protect myself.:banghead:

Where do they find these people?:lol:
We usually find them in the news, after they've lost a pet, a child, or a limb because they refused to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves.

We don't, however, usually find them in gun stores. At least not before the fact.

Mini14

imported post

Mountain Lions, bears, coyotes, crocodiles? Repeat after me: AK47, AK47, AK47,AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47xinfinity. Get the picture, kiddos?Multiple rounds of .30 caliber rounds rapid fired into an animal will kill it.

African Poachers take elephants and rhinos with AK47s, they'll work here, too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mini14 wrote:
Mountain Lions, bears, coyotes, crocodiles? Repeat after me: AK47, AK47, AK47,AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47xinfinity. Get the picture, kiddos?Multiple rounds of .30 caliber rounds rapid fired into an animal will kill it.

An AK would not normally be my companion on walks around my relatives' pond - large condo community in S.C.

It isn't so much what will kill the animal ( crocs and gators) as to how to live safely in an area where protected species also dwell.

For bear defense, I'd prefer something larger that .30 cal, but that's just me.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mini14 wrote:
Mountain Lions, bears, coyotes, crocodiles? Repeat after me: AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47, AK47xinfinity. Get the picture, kiddos? Multiple rounds of .30 caliber rounds rapid fired into  an animal will kill it.

Sometimes marksmanship just works better than "spraying". My vote is for assessing the need to shoot at all, and if you must, then use fewer shots, higher power, and a better aim.

KaosDad

imported post

So, a little late to the conversation, but it's not just "out in the wild" where vigilence is needed. I live in a VERY urbanized area not too far from Dulles International. We have a "wet lands" right across the sreet that houses several winged raptors. We also have red fox, naturally.

Imagine my surprise when coyotewere spotted and a BLACK BEAR was spotted wandering down the main road!

Needless to say when the little yappers are let out in the back yard, I am watching over them. Tho' I am not certain a badmittin raquet will do much good. Damned stupid rules. You know some people don't like it when you stand out in the back yard with an AR-15 on your hip? :p(J/K - just incase).

scorpio_vette

imported post

why do so many of you insist on shooting and killing these animals???

you know how you all keep talking about how kids should be educated about guns so they grow up to be responsible and smart with them???

well same goes for your living environment. whether that be the city or the country, the kids should be raised to learn how to respect and survive in that environment.

maybe it's just me, but when you go to somebody elses house, you respect THEIR rules. well in nature we're in the animals house. we should respect them.

and just like with self defense, we should only use the firearms as an absolute last resort. if we can find another way out of the situation without killing the animal,then we should. after all................how would you like it if somebody came into your house to visit you, and if they didn't like the way you did things in your house they just decided to "exterminate" you???

i grew up in the country and moved into the city because that's where the wife wanted to live. i HATE IT. i'm miserable in the city. honestly i'd feel more secure in the country surrounded by snakes, coyotes, bears and gators then i do surrounded by some of the shit that lives in the city.

but don't mind me. i just miss the country.

Mini14

imported post

Excuse me, but the aforementioned animals don't pay myutilities, rents, vet bills, and so on. Their sole right is not to be mistreated. My dog is a higher life form than them, my dog has more rights than a wild animal, too.

I can't fence my yard in, that is why Iwon't run a garden; the accursed DNR arrests people if they shoot deer raiding their gardens. Why don't you tree huggers come and take the deer off my land?