• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lots of home invasions and bank robberies...

G

imported post

Deleted, as it is no where near pertinent to OCing.

thx997303

imported post

Implying that by asking that a religion I believe strongly in be called by its proper name is immature and that by doing so, I need to correct my behavior.

And that I am getting holier than thou.

Why does this seem a little......off.

And you know dang well that people use the term Mormon in a derogatory sense.

Wasn't looking for a fight and won't engage in one. I believe that your comments speak volumes.

G

imported post

G

imported post

G

imported post

thx997303

imported post

Yes SGT I do realize that many of our faith have adopted the term Mormon to describe themselves, but the time I've recently spent outside of utah has made me realize that any person that is not familiar with the LDS faith knows it only as "The Mormons"

Also, for those that aren't familiar with our religion, Mormon tends to be synonymous with polygamist, which is usually associated with the FLDS cult, especially here in Texas.

By reffering to the religion by it's proper name, I've been abke to shed the preconcieved notions that others may have during religious discussions, leaving them more open minded.

Edited to correct an unintended generalization.

So, while trying to follow the every member a missionary idea, I've come to the conclusion that it is benificial to healthy discussion to use the term LDS, instead of Mormon.

G

imported post

thx997303

imported post

I'm gonna have to look at that website, wonder what it has on there.

And I was merely explaining my extremely off topic position on the subject.

The post was my experience and opinions.

Now if you wouldn't mind discontinuing the personal attacks and getting back to the topic of the thread?

We've both hijacked the hell out of this thread.

Agree to disagree?

LovesHisXD45

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Looks like people are starting to get a clue.

ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5772979

Recent rash of armed robberies has victims fighting back

March 5th, 2009 @ 10:23pm
By Amanda Butterfield

SALT LAKE CITY -- There has been a rash of armed robberies in Salt Lake and Utah counties in the past few months. The thieves are often hitting places late at night where a lone clerk is working the graveyard shift, but in many cases the employees are fighting back.

Last week, a Walgreen's employee in Kearns was not about to let the bad guy get away. When the would-be robber jumped the counter, the fight was on.

Dunn, was so tired of being a victim he chased a would-be robber down the street with a golf club. "You let them get away, then they're going to come back," he said.

Wednesday night, a man walked into a Salt Lake City 7-Eleven and told the clerk he would shoot if he didn't hand over money. The clerk argued with the robber, and the robber took off empty handed.

Sandy police Sgt. Justin Chapman understands the frustrations of employees who don't want to be victims and have that fight response. "Legally, do they have the right to? Absolutely. They have the right to defend themselves from harm, or anybody else from harm, and also the property -- their store or their business, whatever it happens to be," he said.

But Chapman admits he and others in his profession would rather victims not fight back.

Surveillance video from another Salt Lake 7-Eleven that was robbed in February shows the suspect was armed with a knife.

"The clerk kind of moved out of the way, and this person essentially emptied the till and left the store," said Lt. Don Hutson, spokesman for the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office.

"Money can be replaced through insurance. Items can be replaced. But of course, that person, if the individual is hurt, that's going to be difficult to recover from," Chapman said.

In Utah County early Thursday morning, a motel clerk decided it wasn't worth the risk to fight when a man walked in with a gun.

"[He was] pointing this handgun at the clerk. He only said four words. He said, ‘Give me the money," explained Lt. Doug Edwards, spokesman for the Orem Department of Public Safety. The clerk did as told.

"We really want to be careful about what we would advise an individual to do. We don't want to put them in harm's way," Chapman said.

Just to see if the economy and recession is driving crime, we got some numbers from the Salt Lake County's Sheriff's Office. We found the number of robberies reported in January from the past two years is pretty consistent, even down a bit: 16 in 2008, and 13 in 2009.
I don't think the criminals would enjoy playing dodge lead as much as being chased around with gold clubs and being yelled at. :) The people will get a clue when the criminals are toted away in body bags instead of being arrested.

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Who says a .22 will not kill a man? A well placed headshot says otherwise.

ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5802132

Surveillance video shows robber's final moments

March 9th, 2009 @ 10:02pm

CENTERFIELD -- A strange case of violence in a small town in central Utah Monday morning left a would-be robber dead and a small community in shock.
Centerfield resident Antonio Ramos, 42, was killed when one of the women he was robbing grabbed his gun and shot him in the head. Surveillance video from the store captured the robbery and Ramos' final moments on tape.
"[There's] a lot of talk about, wondering what went wrong and what happened for sure. Until we are done, fully, with our investigation, there will those questions like there would be in any small town," said Centerfield Police Chief Stewart Jensen.
This is the first robbery Jensen has ever dealt with in his 10 years on the force in Centerfield, which is located south of Gunnison.
Just after midnight, police say Ramos approached an employee as she was taking out the garbage, pointed a gun at her and forced her inside.
Ramos told one employee to tie up the other, and then tried to tie up the second worker himself. A few moments later, video shows the gunman put down his .22-caliber rifle and slip it onto the counter.
The clerk who was already tied up appears to remain calm and, in a brief moment, goes for the gun.
She grabbed the rifle and fired, striking the robber once in the head. When police arrived, Ramos was dead.
"They did a good job defending themselves, under the circumstances. They had no idea what was going to happen to them after they were tied up, so I think they did what they felt they needed to do," said Sanpete County sheriff's Sgt. Greg Peterson.
Jensen says he had never dealt with the suspect before. We searched court records and could not find any history on Ramos either.
The two victims have been interviewed by investigators, and the Sanpete County attorney is expected to find they were justified in defending themselves.
Store officials did not want to talk about what happened, but they opened back up for business Monday morning.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Brhahhahhahah! Well, at least somebody is getting it now. The more bad guys who end up like that guy, the better! Hooooyaaaa! The .22 caliber bullet used to dispatch this guy was sure a lot less expensive than all the lawyers and the trial and the jail and the food and the clothes and the wasted cell space.

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Now it seems that criminals are choosing softer targets. Dollar stores and Fast food may not sound like a big payoff, but I am willing to bet that they are loaded with cash due to people trying to save money.

Check out this fucstick! He is even holding his pistola "thug style". :lol:

10256050.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5938288

Dollar Store robbery suspect arrested
March 23rd, 2009 @ 12:24pm

SOUTH SALT LAKE -- Police arrested 32-year-old James William Farr in connection with an armed robbery at the Dollar Store on 389 E. 3300 South.

Police say on March 10, Farr pulled a mask over his face, pointed a handgun at the Dollar Store clerk and demanded cash.

During the course of the investigation, South Salt Lake investigators were able to determine his identity, and a witness identified him in a photo line up.

Police arrested Farr at his home in Salt Lake City. They say they found evidence linking him to the robbery.

Farr has been charged with aggravated robbery.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5940591

2 gunmen rob McDonald's in Woods Cross
March 23rd, 2009 @ 4:01pm

WOODS CROSS -- Police in Woods Cross are looking for two gunmen who robbed the McDonald's at 2468 S. Hwy. 89 around 4:45 Sunday morning.

Police say they ordered the employees into a back room and then left with some money.

The robbers were wearing masks and hoodies.

Investigators think the same men robbed the same McDonald's a week before. During that robbery, one of the suspects pistol-whipped a clerk.

Police are looking at surveillance video.

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Brhahhahhahah! Well, at least somebody is getting it now. The more bad guys who end up like that guy, the better! Hooooyaaaa! The .22 caliber bullet used to dispatch this guy was sure a lot less expensive than all the lawyers and the trial and the jail and the food and the clothes and the wasted cell space.

Kevin
This is why if i am NOT OCing on my hip - I always have my shotgun in my truck. This is ridiculous, could you imagine going to the Maverick at 2:00am for a pack of smokes( or whatever ya'll do), you decide not to OC so you don't completely freak out the poor 17 year old chick working behind the counter - and THIS fool rolls in with his '50 cent' gun safety, goin' on... at least when i roll up to see the whole thing go down, my 870 ill be next to me.

Times are gettin' rough.

sweet jezus.