• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M1 Garand

open4years

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
open4years wrote:
(I changed that by sitting by his deathbed for days and talking to him about the miracles God has performed in
my life. I told him he had two choices: His son is a liar or God exists.)
Good for you.

OTOH...wow this thread has changed. :lol:

True, even though I don't know what OTOH means!

Sorry for the detour.

ODA 226

imported post

thnycav wrote:
The M1a does fire 7.62 x54 it is the civilian version of M14. The Army uses as the M21 Sniper rifle. I did qualify with it.
The M1A fires the 7.62X 51 NOT the 7.62X 54 which is a Soviet round.

thnycav

imported post

Yes you are right did a typo. It is 51 not 54. Must have had my head up my fourth point of contact.

thnycav

imported post

Just buy the ammo that is NATO spec or militay sec. I have a Lee Enfield 2A and I do have to worry about the same thing. Just buy the military surplus ammo.

Broondog

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Gas plug, eh? So should I be worried about this issue with, say, the rifles CMP sells?
a CMP Garand is still a Garand.

it's good advice to stick with surplus ammo. the Greek HXP M2 Ball is the best IMO. it was made for the rifle.

but, that being said, if you are careful you can use some commercial ammo in the Garand. the best course of action in this regard is to keep the bullet weight down in the 150gr range. this size of commercial load keeps the pressures down to a compatible level for the rifle. i have personally put 100+ rds of Federal Power-Shok 150gr SP's thru one of my Garands with no ill effects. it's not my primary choice of ammo but it does work in a pinch.

Broondog

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
All right, sir, thank you! I mostly want it for home defense/range shooting, etc. That's most of my interest at this point.
home defense and range shooting are two different animals IMO and prudence would dictate two different firearms.

one has to think about over penetration in an urban environment. a rifle, with its inherent power, is going to go through your intended target no matter what. do you know what's on the other side? of the BG? of the room? of the wall? of the house?

many rifle rounds will go through up to three common household walls before coming to rest. a shotgun running #4 Buck or a handgun is your best bet for a home defense firearm.

playing at the range is another story. how deep are your pockets? a CMP Service Grade Garand plus 200+/- rds of ammo will set you back $700+/-. there is no doubt that they are fun as hell to shoot, accurate and a piece of history to boot.

another option for fun range shooting is an AK clone. right now you can get a low end clone for under $400 and a case (1000rds) of ammo for another $200. some folks bash the AK platform, especially the cheaper ones, but IMO you can't go wrong with one. rugged, reliable and reasonably accurate out to 150yds.

if your pockets are really deep you could go for the AR platform. i don't own one so my info is limited to what i've heard/read, but many folks swear by the AR like i swear by the AK. they are accurate out to 500yds+. reliability can be hit or miss, i guess that depends on the builder. they are also highly modifiable.

if long range accuracy is your object then a bolt-action rifle is what you seek, but that is a whole other can of worms.

Broondog

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Thanks very much.

Which is better, HRA or SA?
Springfield Armory (SA) and Winchester Repeating Arms (WRA) were the only ones manufactured during WWII. Harrington & Richardson (HRA) and International Harvester began making Garands in the early '50's, along with SA for the Korean War.

so basically if you want a WWII era rifle, go with SA or WRA.

here's a little reading for you. the site is written by Russians but there is good info there for a wide variety of firearms. enjoy!

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl05-e.htm

Broondog

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Ok, now you've really been a huge help. I really appreciate you walking a gun newbie through the ropes. :cool:

hey, no problem man. it's what we are here for right?

i was newbie once and some folks helped me. in essence i am just returning the favor.