• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb twp. picnic

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Yes oath keepers is correct. He suggested that everyone at the picnic take a look at their site. I haven't looked into it but promised I would pass it along to everyone.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Thanks again for coming out everyone, especially to Rep. Kim Meltzer

It might not be a bad idea to invite state reps etc. to join us at future picnics.

Generaldet

imported post

I sent this to the Macomb twp. officials to follow up on their promises to amend the local ordinances. Mr. Grabow's response is below as well.
:monkey

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:06 PM
Subject:
local ordinances

Dear Council members and Parks Department,

I would like to thank you for promising to amend your local ordinances regarding firearms. Also, thank you to the parks and rec staff who work so hard to keep your parks looking great and made for an enjoyable time.
I have attached some information regarding lawful open carry in Michigan in hopes that you will become more familiar with this right that we share. Include in this information is Michigan's preemption law as well as other helpful information.
Thank you again for your cooperation and I look forward to hearing back from you when your ordinances have been amended. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Dear,

I am sorry I had another event that I had to attend otherwise I would have been happy to stop by. I have already spoke to my legal council and advised them that needs to be corrected so we are in compliance. Thank you for the information and I look forward in speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

astrogiblet

imported post

Hey John let me know when you send those brochures out to that officer from the picnic.. He wanted me to make sure you sent them out.. I'm sure you'll do it, I just want to know when so I can take it off my mind, heh..

Also, if you'd rather I sent them to him, let me know....

Generaldet

imported post

UPDATE: I sent another follow up email to Macomb twp. regarding their ordinance since my last one went un answered.

Mr. Grabow,

Had there been any progress in regards to amending your local ordinance banning firearms in parks?

Thank you,
John Rohsek
Vice President, Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
jroshek@miopencarry.org

John

We will not have legal work on that until spring as it will not be an issue unless they try to enforce it. I have it on a tickler for March

Mr. Grabow,

Thank you for your reply.

While I am pleased to hear that you have not forgotten about amending your ordinance, I am very concerned over the delay in this matter. Several townships that we have worked with in the last few months, including Oxford and Warren, have already amended their ordinances, yet Macomb twp. has not.

Given the fact that the township has an illegal ordinance on the books that is misleading to the public I would think that is an issue. Taking into consideration the resistance I was met with from your attorney and the deputy sheriff from trying to plan our picnic and the fact that if there were a future incident it opens the city up to a possible lawsuit. I would think that the council would want to amend their ordinance to be in line with state law as soon as possible.

I hope you understand my concerns and revisit the issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,
John Roshek
Vice President, Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
jroshek@miopencarry.org

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I hope they get on the ball soon. Keep us posted if you get a response. You would think with the county sheriff publicly acknowledging the legality of open carry they would have proceeded quicker on this.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I put the date on my schedule. I will be there.

Also if anyone who has sent letters to City/Township Councils can you please email them to me at sprinklerguy28@yahoo.com. A city that I am in 2-3 times per week has a similar ordinance. I would like to use them for inspiration in writing a letter to another city. As soon as I have the letter drafted I will post all the info on a separate thread, thanks.

super_squint

Treasurer, MOC, Inc. Oakland, Michigan, U
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
You should have seen the woman that sat on the bike in FLIP FLOPS!

Seriously? You'd give up an OC Photo Op like that because of the foot wear you had on?

Ben
Hey, I didn't even sit on the bike! More like, fashionably leaned against it...

I may have that photo available for viewing! I'll share it for any donations to MOC, Inc.! ;)