• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison Is At It Again. AB-9 Gun Legislation

Law abider

They are not acting in their "Official Capacity" as a LEO while off duty. They are just another civilian. Retirees are just former LEOs, not forever a privileged class. What makes zero sense is that CCL Licensees are prohibited from in or on the grounds of a school. Get rid of that prohibition and the off-duty and retired LEOs will also be included. Either Private Property owners have the right to refusal or they do not. Carving out a special exception just for off-duty and especially retired LEOs makes no sense...

Agreed!!

svelectric

Can you please reboot yourself and get rid of flubber and in one sentence (10 words max) tell us where you stand with the issue?

Pretty clear from my first sentence... I support the bill, it's not perfect, but a step in the right direction as stated...

svelectric

You are the one that quoted as overblown rhetoric, "Ruling Class" and "special privileges". There is a Ruling Party against the country conservatives.

I am "against" the politicians advancing this bill and "against" hysterics whipping their audience with it. Eternal vigilance is always needed, but maybe a little less for a bill six months in committee and only now floating to the top of the cesspool. I am against anything that drives the inequality wedge in society that is already fractionated and 'faction-ated' by education. Either we are equal or we are not.

Studying and working are good excuses. I already did the studying and working and do log in here a lot. I recently studied Codevilla's books after being inspired by his essay. A challenge shortly after retiring from work, from my career, was working for the passage of South Carolina's 1996 Law Abiding Citizens Self Defense Act.

The lowlife and porkchop point their troll-finger at many posters in Wisconsin, good people now gone because of their toxic and noxious rhetoric. If you would prefer I not read your posts, I can do that.

Aha Porkchop... a troll it is...

svelectric

They are not acting in their "Official Capacity" as a LEO while off duty. They are just another civilian. Retirees are just former LEOs, not forever a privileged class. What makes zero sense is that CCL Licensees are prohibited from in or on the grounds of a school. Get rid of that prohibition and the off-duty and retired LEOs will also be included. Either Private Property owners have the right to refusal or they do not. Carving out a special exception just for off-duty and especially retired LEOs makes no sense...

"special exception" is one way of looking at it. A step in the right direction is another. Like I said, CCL's should be in the same "privleged class". Private property rights trump both CCL holders and LEO's (off or retired from duty).

MKEgal

pkbites said:
Those of you who are [correctly] citing the rights of private property owners, what is your opinion of the smoking ban
I am very grateful that I no longer have to worry about being able to breathe wherever I choose to spend money to have dinner (or a beer, but I rarely go to bars), but I think the law forcing clean air on employers is wrong.

For a happy medium, if they have a smoking section, it should have to be ventilated outdoors through filters, not sharing air with the rest of the restaurant / business, and only employees who volunteer to work there can enter. That would protect the health of both employees and other customers, while allowing the owner to decide if s/he wants to have smoking or not.

Model it on other OSHA laws about contaminated air.

pkbites said:
What are you babbling about?
You haven't learned to ignore Doug yet? He's been getting stranger & stranger over the last few years. I keep hoping that the VA shrink will catch that there's something very wrong with him.

svelectric said:
Full disclosure, this law applies to me, hard for me to be against it
I disagree that a bill granting special privileges is a step in the right direction, or that it would eventually lead to all licensees (or all citizens) having their rights honored.

svelectric said:
Does it make any sense to say that Officer Joe can carry at place A, B, or C at 1PM on duty but cannot return at 6 PM while in plain clothes "off duty"?
Absolutely.
Does it make any sense to say that Officer Joe can run red lights at 1PM on duty, but cannot at 6pm while in plain clothes off duty?
Does it make any sense to say that Officer Joe can handcuff someone against her will at 1PM on duty, but cannot at 6pm while in plain clothes off duty?
You are given privileges to ignore some laws in order to do your job. When you're not doing your job, you don't get (or need) those privileges.

svelectric said:
I DO think that CCL holders should be able to carry on public property (all of it, schools, colleges, etc). I also DO think that private property rights should be respected and taken out of the bill.
It's nice that we agree that far. :rolleyes:

Last edited: