• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man charged with bringing weapon onto college campus, yesterday, in Martinsburg, WV

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry I will not be able to be at your soiree, but I've committed to the VT event with VCDL on the same day.

Please accept my moral support, amd let me know if there is anything I can do to support the lagal fight.

stay safe.

millerized

What: Protest in Opposition to Pam Neely, Martinsburg Prosecuting Attorney

When: 12:00 Noon, November 17th, 2011

Where: Intersection of W. Stephen Street, and S. Church Street, Martinsburg, WV

Where are we parking? Don't want to get the natives in an uproar about parking 'illegally'. I realize court parking lot is a no-go, but any safe spots?

ArmedSociety

I'm driving up Thursday and getting a room. I was going to do a quick recon to figure the parking situation out, and maybe hoof it from the hotel if I can't find anything.

If you want, PM me some contact info and I'll let you know what I find.

siglite

The official FB page for the event

The official Facebook page for the event is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=282532318434769

For those uninterested in facebook:

Time: Friday, November 18 · 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Location: Intersection of W. Stephen Street, and S. Church Street, Martinsburg, WV
Created By: Keith Morgan

More Info:

On October 25, Pam Neely, Berkeley County Prosecuting Attorney, sent a letter to the legislature requesting more gun control. Surely, you read the WVCDL alert containing her ridiculous, anti-gun, anti-self-defense, anti-liberty tirade. The contents of that tirade are sickening regurgitations of Brady-esque style anti-gun phobia and paranoia. You have seen it all before, and you will see it again.

We feel that it is our duty to make sure that the residents of that county are aware of Ms. Neely's ragingly anti-gun, anti-self-defense position.

Words of caution: Martinsburg has no city ordinances that I can find which would prohibit or impede this protest. However, signs and slogans must be clean, non-profane, and certainly non-threatening. Protestors may not impede the thoroughfare. Protestors may not make excessive noise.

A note: Open and concealed (with a permit) carry is legal in West Virginia. However, I would request that any WVCDL members or the general public avoid bringing longarms, loaded or unloaded, to the protest. Black rifles and shotguns are another battle. This battle is about the simple ability to carry the daily tools of self-defense while on college campuses, meaning, the handgun. Our goal is to inform and educate. We are not attempting to make a statement about so-called "assault rifles." Our goal is to inform and educate the middle, meaning those who have little or no opinion on the matter of self-defense.

Please feel free to spread the word on this protest via facebook, via email, via gun forums, and any other medium you can imagine. We need a large showing. Ms. Neely, the Prosecutor’s office, Martinsburg Police, and Blue Ridge Community and Technical College need to be aware that they have kicked a hornet’s nest. We must be that nest.

Further opinions on the matter from a WVCDL-ALERT message:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs061/1102955222215/archive/1108535170055.html (I recommend reading it at the link for formatting reasons)

Pam Neely Can Put You in Jail

As some of you are likely aware, Berkeley County Prosecutor Pamela Games-Neely sent a letter to the legislature ranting in true Sarah Brady fashion about the lack of a law preventing lawful carry of firearms on college and university campuses. Her rant requested a ban of carry on all such institutions. Thanks to Delegate Larry Kump (a true believer in your Second Amendment rights) for bringing this to our attention.

Gun owners in the Panhandle had better be paying attention to this one. This truly matters to you. Law enforcement and prosecutors have, and constantly utilize a concept called "police discretion." Within this concept, they often can use their discretion, based on the totality of the circumstances, and decide whether or not to prosecute (within reason) in any given situation. Given that there are many gray areas surrounding firearms in West Virginia law (which the WVCDL has been trying to fix) this should be terrifying to you as a gun owner within her prosecutorial jurisdiction.

In case some of you haven't browsed over to Larry Kump's site to read her ragingly anti-gun, anti-self defense diatribe, allow me to provide you with some real gems. Some of these beauties will be quite familiar to many of you, as you've seen them before in publications and commentary by such wonderfully liberty-loving folks like the Violence Policy Center or the Brady Campaign.

One of my favorites is this: "What happens if that student, parent or other person suddenly becomes angry at the score, the roommate, the party, or even the call on the field?" This was in discussion of the presence of lawfully carried firearms at a sporting event.

I'd like to introduce Ms. Neely to a psychological concept called "projection." It works like this. Ms. Neely apparently feels that if she were at a sporting event and became upset with the score, she might be likely to whip out a handgun and start shooting. Because Ms. Neely fears her own levels of self control, she's projecting that fear on to the rest of society. This is irrational. We can prove this easily. Because in the history of shall-issue carry permits in West Virginia, it has been legal to carry on college campuses statewide for the entire duration, and not once has her sick fantasy ever happened. I hope Ms. Neely doesn't carry a gun. She scares me.

Another beauty: "I can think of nothing worse than people attending an athletic event, living in a dorm, or sitting beside someone in a science class with a firearm strapped to their side or worse, concealed on their person."

For a prosecuting attorney, Ms. Neely sure seems removed from reality, and certainly is not very imaginative. You see, I can definitely think of things far worse which could, and do occur on college campuses nationwide. For example, being robbed, shot, stabbed, or raped on campus. Yet, somehow, Ms. Neely can't think of anything worse than sitting next to you at a football game. Have I mentioned that she's a prosecuting attorney? Surely..... I mean.... isn't it a near certainty that she's prosecuted people for far worse things than sitting next to you or I at a football game? There was an instance of male-on-male rape at West Virginia State University last year. As a student there, I sure didn't have to think very hard to come up with something a tiny bit worse than sitting next to any of you.

Now that we've clearly established Ms. Neely's irrationality, let's move on to why this matters to you. Ms. Neely can, and will prosecute you (She's proven this in the Beck case) for lawfully exercising your Second Amendment rights.

I can see only one course of action for those who live in, work in, or travel through Ms. Neely's prosecutorial jurisdiction (Berkeley County). This woman needs to be out of a job. She needs to be out of a job so you don't go to jail for lawful activity.

How do we accomplish this? How do you protect yourself from someone who fears they might shoot up a football game, and will prosecute you based on that fear? Put her out of a job. How do you do that? The first step is to show up at noon on Friday, November 18th, at the intersection of Church Street and Stephen Street in Martinsburg carrying a sign. Do not come alone. Bring everyone you know with you.

The WVCDL is asking a few things, however. Please do not bring long-arms. This protest is about the standard tool of every day self-defense, which is the handgun. Also, remember that the south side of that street is courthouse property. If you're carrying, concealed or open, please do not step a single foot on courthouse property. Lastly, please make sure all signs are non-profane and non-violent. Also, perhaps we could collect donation forms for VPC, The Brady Campaign, and maybe Nancy Pelosi's campaign and deliver them to Ms. Neely. Clearly, she could put them to better use than us.

I hope to see you there. I want this woman on the unemployment line where she can no longer harass and prosecute law-abiding citizens.

We would love to see as much support out there on Friday as we can possibly gather.

-- Keith Morgan, President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League

Last edited:

siglite

I might actually drive out for this. I lived in Martinsburg for 5 years, and it is a wonderful town, that is unfortunately being ruined by carpetbagging DC-ers who moved out there for the lower real estate prices and lower cost of living, and now are just trying to turn it into another DC suburb.

(I actually lived on West John St., between Raleigh and Church, and this college was literally in my back yard...)

If I can get the time off work, I'll be OCing AND CCing...

Does WV have a "duty to inform" if you are CCing? Also, is WV a "Stop and ID" law for pedestrians? And lastly, does WV have any restrictions on audio or video recording in public, when there is no expectation of privacy?

I believe the answer is "no" on all three counts, but I think these are important points to know for people who are coming to this protest...

There is no duty to inform in WV. As for Stop and ID, I'm honestly not sure. I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll have an interesting day if you don't provide ID if asked by LE in Martinsburg. To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on audio and video recording. Given the City of Martinsburg's position, it is my request that as many video cameras be present as possible. To paraphrase John Ross, video cameras are to corrupt law enforcement as sunlight is to vampires. They hiss and yell and strike out. But they're still effective. :D

Last edited:

millerized

Get the date straight?

OK....I've seen 2 dates so far. On this page alone there are 2 dates.
17th or 18th?
Is this Friday or Thursday?
I was originally set for Thursday, and have leave scheduled....but now...
which one is correct?

And there will be at least one covert camera on us at all times. That I can guarantee you.

Last edited:

siglite

OK....I've seen 2 dates so far. On this page alone there are 2 dates.
17th or 18th?
Is this Friday or Thursday?
I was originally set for Thursday, and have leave scheduled....but now...
which one is correct?

And there will be at least one covert camera on us at all times. That I can guarantee you.

It is Friday, the 18th. Noon. If anyone has any questions about the protest, feel free to call me at 304-421-3404.

-- Keith Morgan, President, WVCDL.

siglite

My apologies for the confusion. I should have checked this board and posted in this thread earlier. The OCDO folks are committed activists, and should get good information early. Again, my apologies.

millerized

siglite

TFred

Dreamer

So has there been any news on Mr. Beck's misdemeanor charges? Were they tossed, or did he get a conviction?

Inquiring minds want to know...