• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man ruins open carry dinner meeting by bringing long gun into a Michigan Ponderosa

jfrenchudm

imported post

I recall no discussion during the planning for the event at the Lansing Ponderosa regarding the types of weapons that had been cleared by the property owner. I therefore see no reason why you consider KG's actions as intentionally blindsiding the manager. As far as I understand it, he had nothing to do with the talks with the manager. Also, as noted before, he stated that he would willingly lock his long gun in the vehicle if the manager had asked him to. Furthermore, yes, I believe the manager to be a coward, because he lacked the intestinal fortitude to confront a person individually, and instead called the police, just like the sheep would.

Bailenforcer

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
the weapons to be expected was not discussed,it was not previously thought to be an issue.
I was young many centuries ago. I was also naive and I still hate to admit this. But one must be very forward when dealing with people and next time you should try and be as upfront as you can. Mistakes happen, this is how we learn. Only a man will admit this. You seem like a good kid and yes compared to my age you are a kid. Try and remember everything you do is being watched, by many. I first thought it was an adult who did this. It's far more forgivable and understandable noting your age. But we learn as we go in life, and being honest and preemptive will help you in this venture. I hope you find a suitable hand gun so you can OC.

You implies not just you but all of us.

mel5051

imported post

I think that everyone here needs to read the OpenCarry.org Forum Rules again, maybe three times.

I say this because OpenCarry.org may decide that we here in Michigan can't control ourselves enough to follow their simple guidelines. OpenCarry.org could remove posts, delete users, or whatever.

This is their site not MOC's or anyone elses here in Michigan.

We are their Guests and must abide by their rules whether or not we like them.

I'll go back to lurking again. Posting here has become distasteful.

Mel

mel5051

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
mel5051 wrote:
I think that everyone here needs to read the OpenCarry.org Forum Rules again, maybe three times.

I say this because OpenCarry.org may decide that we here in Michigan can't control ourselves enough to follow their simple guidelines. OpenCarry.org could remove posts, delete users, or whatever.

This is their site not MOC's or anyone elses here in Michigan.

We are their Guests and must abide by their rules whether or not we like them.

I'll go back to lurking again. Posting here has become distasteful.

Mel
"Take my advice, I'm not using it."

mel5051 wrote:
Oh, come on, CV6, not be such a small brain three fingers rodents!
Someone had asked for a translation of the Arabic writing. I went out to Google Translation and that is what came up.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
...just where and how are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?
... Not scary carry of rifles which have inherent muzzle control problems and no trigger guard.

Hmmmmm... Is this sarcasm?

Clarify, please, Mike. Do you really not support legal open carry, in all forms?

Or are you just being sarcastic?

The quotes above make no sense, so I am leaning towards sarcasm.

office888

imported post

Mike wrote:
if were my restaurant I would have kicked the bunch out too - just where and how are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?
You'd be just as bad as every business you've ever been asked to leave, because you have an openly carried handgun. A rifle secured on your back doesn't get in your way. Sure, it might poke a bit if you lean back, but the same thing happens if you lean to your holster-side with your handgun.

Mike wrote:
open carry is about normalizing gun ownership through properly holstered open carry of handguns. Not scary carry of rifles which have inherent muzzle control problems and no trigger guard.
How is this even a debatable subject?

Sooo, you're about some freedom, but not all of it? Kinda like the UK. Ban handguns, but keep rifles and shotguns, because "handguns aren't sporting, and aren't useful". Or in this case, say "we don't support your legal carry of a rifle, because it's big and black, and might scare somebody". It used to be "We don't support open carry of a handgun, because it might scare somebody.".

-Richard-

G

imported post

Sorry Mel

And here I thought, because of no background given, in my self centered mind that you had made that comment to me.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jfrenchudm wrote:
I recall no discussion during the planning for the event at the Lansing Ponderosa regarding the types of weapons that had been cleared by the property owner. I therefore see no reason why you consider KG's actions as intentionally blindsiding the manager. As far as I understand it, he had nothing to do with the talks with the manager. Also, as noted before, he stated that he would willingly lock his long gun in the vehicle if the manager had asked him to. Furthermore, yes, I believe the manager to be a coward, because he lacked the intestinal fortitude to confront a person individually, and instead called the police, just like the sheep would.

You have no right to call the man a coward.

It is his restaurant. His property. He was presented with an unknown and unexpected situation--Kimberguy with an AR-15.

If Kimberguy doesn't do his thing, the meeting and meal go off without a problem. As previous meetings had gone.

The assault rifle being thrown into the situation was the differentiator, turning a regular ole restauranteur into a scared and prudent caller of 911.

Coward?

Puh-leeze.

What's next--a call for a Ponderosa boycott?:uhoh:

It would be really nice if the Ponderosa 7 would contact the owner.....and apologize for the inconvenience caused. It's the least they could do.

office888

imported post

HankT wrote:
jfrenchudm wrote:

You have no right to call the man a coward.

It is his restaurant. His property. He was presented with an unknown and unexpected situation--Kimberguy with an AR-15.

If Kimberguy doesn't do his thing, the meeting and meal go off without a problem. As previous meetings had gone.

The assault rifle being thrown into the situation was the differentiator, turning a regular ole restauranteur into a scared and prudent caller of 911.

Coward?

Puh-leeze.

What's next--a call for a Ponderosa boycott?:uhoh:

It would be really nice if the Ponderosa 7 would contact the owner.....and apologize for the inconvenience caused. It's the least they could do.
Fear of an immaterial object is a childish lunacy.

I know Kimberguy, he is a VERY nice and non-threatening guy.

All the manager had to do was go up to him and say "Sir, I support what you're doing, but could you please put your rifle in your car? You're more than welcome to OC your handgun in here though."

But no.

He immediately assumed Kimberguy was some nutcase, and just went straight to the police. If you ask me, that's plain irrational. Isn't it a crime to call 911, when there's no crime being committed?

-Richard-

G

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Bailenforcer wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
the weapons to be expected was not discussed,it was not previously thought to be an issue.
I was young many centuries ago. I was also naive and I still hate to admit this. But one must be very forward when dealing with people and next time you should try and be as upfront as you can. Mistakes happen, this is how we learn. Only a man will admit this. You seem like a good kid and yes compared to my age you are a kid. Try and remember everything you do is being watched, by many. I first thought it was an adult who did this. It's far more forgivable and understandable noting your age. But we learn as we go in life, and being honest and preemptive will help you in this venture. I hope you find a suitable hand gun so you can OC.

You implies not just you but all of us.

What didFreak do wrong? I have ye to see it. Heset up a meeting with Ponderosa for people to OC at. I have not seen it posted anywhere prior to the meet that anyone said what types of firearms they were bringing. How is this his fault?
This was his gig. Right? He obtained approval from the Ponderosa manager. Right? He set the time and the place. Right? It was published on OCDO. Right?

Why then, did the Ponderosa manager say that he didn't expect them to show up on a busy Saturday? Wasn't he told?

Wasn't there any adult supervision going on here???

Michigander

imported post

A right unexercised is a right lost. Including long arm OC.

I won't do it often, but I also won't knock someone else for doing it when they choose to, as long as it's safe. And I have no doubts that Kimberguy was safely carrying his AR.

office888

imported post

Michigander wrote:
A right unexercised is a right lost. Including long arm OC.

I won't do it often, but I also won't knock someone else for doing it when they choose to, as long as it's safe. And I have no doubts that Kimberguy was safely carrying his AR.
Thank you!

I felt like I was the only sane person here, focusing on the big picture, instead of a minor setback that will be forgotten about before we know it.

-Richard-

Rugerp345

imported post

LEO bashing? Not at all. I think it is a legitimate question. There's 12 or 15 cops in the video all standing around picking their nose and playing grab-ass and there's basically NOTHING GOING ON.

Don't the other citizens of Lansing have some right as a taxpayer to have some police protection? I mean, if there was some shootout like in the Hollywood bank robbery I could understand it. But they are all, with the exception of two of them who are doing the talking, standing around with their hands in their pockets being sightseers.

I have city trash collection, but they don't send 15 city workers out to pick up my one bag of trash. Again, it might be justified if SOMETHING WAS HAPPENING in the video.

If they are going to waste all this manpower and resources on one call of a citizen legally carrying a handgun in a peaceful manner, they need to hire more cops so the others can do the sight-seeing.

You see, I would think, but I'm no Einstein or anything, that if they got a MWAG call, the 15 cops might show up and upon finding that it was a BS call, the others would leave and go do some police work that they are getting paid by the taxpayer to do. Is there no crime in Lansing? No sex offenders they can go harass? No women getting beat up by their husband? No one in the whole city speeding or running red lights? If they have so much spare manpower in Lansing that they can waste it like this, then they should downsize the police department and save the taxpayers some money.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

it may be a right to open carry a firearm but carrying a long rifle into restaurant is just plain STUPID! yes, i agree this coulda been handled differently but still. OCing a long rifle ESPECIALLY an ar-15 into a restaurant is completely lack of common sense...i mean come on! If KG didnt bring his ar to the meet, then this wouldnt have happened plain and fkn simple. If you wanna flame me then go ahead...opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one...and im stating my opinion.

office888

imported post

RabbiVJ wrote:
it may be a right to open carry a firearm but carrying a long rifle into restaurant is just plant STUPID! yes, i agree this coulda been handled differently but still. OCing a long rifle ESPECIALLY an ar-15 into a restaurant is completely lack of common sense...i mean come on! If KG didnt bring his ar to the meet, then this wouldnt have happened plain and fkn simple. If you wanna flame me then go ahead...opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one...and im stating my opinion.
Because a guy did something 100% legal, and the manager did something immature, we should play the blame game now?

Let's all calm down. :celebrate

-Richard-

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

office888 wrote:
RabbiVJ wrote:
it may be a right to open carry a firearm but carrying a long rifle into restaurant is just plant STUPID! yes, i agree this coulda been handled differently but still. OCing a long rifle ESPECIALLY an ar-15 into a restaurant is completely lack of common sense...i mean come on! If KG didnt bring his ar to the meet, then this wouldnt have happened plain and fkn simple. If you wanna flame me then go ahead...opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one...and im stating my opinion.
Because a guy did something 100% legal, and the manager did something immature, we should play the blame game now?

Let's all calm down. :celebrate

-Richard
Like i said, it could have and SHOULD have been handled differently, but again OCing an AR into a restaurant is just plain stupid. It may be legal, but still, it LACKS COMMON SENSE!