• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Matthews Police Corporal - We can take your gun for Officer Safety.

cap-n-ball

I know a few years ago I was stopped in Yadkin County on I-85, had a .36 cal Navy Colt in the holster right in front of my seat on the passenger side. laying against the trans tunnel on my car. State trooper saw it and asked if if was loaded to which I replied it was. He asked me if he could hold onto it while we talked to which I asked if I would get it back. His reply was yes. After our discussion and his issuance of a speeding ticket he placed my gun on the back seat and told me if I happened to get stopped in another state to tell them I had it in the car. Never had any problems and never searched my vehicle for any other weapons, but did ask what was in the gun case on the floor, to which I replied powder, shot and percussion caps. With my permission he checked it and put it back on the floor. One of the best experiences I've ever had in a traffic stop in any state.

carolina guy

A CCW will make no difference. NC law is a must inform state concerning concealed. And the officer still can take the weapon for officer safety. I have never had my gun seized, but I would inform the officer that I do not consent to any searches and seizures. That may help you get your gun back just in case the officer thinks he wants to keep it.

Failure to tell officer during a traffic stop you are concealing will cost you the permit. That is about 180 bucks down the drain, depending on cost of the class and ammo.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_14.html

§ 14‑415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14‑415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14‑3.1. In lieu of paying a fine the person may surrender the permit.

§ 14‑3.1. Infraction defined; sanctions.
(a) An infraction is a noncriminal violation of law not punishable by imprisonment. Unless otherwise provided by law, the sanction for a person found responsible for an infraction is a penalty of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). The proceeds of penalties for infractions are payable to the county in which the infraction occurred for the use of the public schools.
(b) The procedure for disposition of infractions is as provided in Article 66 of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes.(1985, c. 764, s. 1.)

papa bear

A CCW will make no difference. NC law is a must inform state concerning concealed. And the officer still can take the weapon for officer safety. I have never had my gun seized, but I would inform the officer that I do not consent to any searches and seizures. That may help you get your gun back just in case the officer thinks he wants to keep it.

Failure to tell officer during a traffic stop you are concealing will cost you the permit. That is about 180 bucks down the drain, depending on cost of the class and ammo.

hey WALKINGWOLF, what is a CCW and what do you do with it?

WalkingWolf

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_14.html

§ 14‑415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14‑415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14‑3.1. In lieu of paying a fine the person may surrender the permit.

§ 14‑3.1. Infraction defined; sanctions.
(a) An infraction is a noncriminal violation of law not punishable by imprisonment. Unless otherwise provided by law, the sanction for a person found responsible for an infraction is a penalty of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). The proceeds of penalties for infractions are payable to the county in which the infraction occurred for the use of the public schools.
(b) The procedure for disposition of infractions is as provided in Article 66 of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes.(1985, c. 764, s. 1.)
Guess I should have looked first. I knew there was some kind of punishment. Still 100 bucks, plus court costs is more than I want to throw away.

ncwabbit

hey WALKINGWOLF, what is a CCW and what do you do with it?

that out of both of your systems...the NC Attorney General calls it a quote: North Carolina concealed carry permit unquote throughout his document outlining NC firearm laws...http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf

additionally the NC statutes refer to the same term as well as quote concealed weapon or handgun unquote throughout chapter 14 http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

wabbit

ps: a potato is a potato

carolina guy

that out of both of your systems...the NC Attorney General calls it a quote: North Carolina concealed carry permit unquote throughout his document outlining NC firearm laws...http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf

additionally the NC statutes refer to the same term as well as quote concealed weapon or handgun unquote throughout chapter 14 http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

wabbit

ps: a potato is a potato

Just proves why you shouldn't take an attorney's word at face value. Looking at my own permit, it says "North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit" across the top. :)