• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet our families

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
Got to love it when a volunteer steps forward.
:) that's me foot in mouth

Paraphrasing JFK - Don't ask what MOCA can do for you, but what you can do for MOCA
icon7.png

hightecrebel

if I'm back home when something's happening, I'll gladly help out. Course, that's all based on deployment schedules and when I can get leave when I'm stateside.

Cory

Maine CWP Training

Last year was dead. They held it on Good Friday thru Easter Sunday. Attendance was down 60%. Many vendors pulled up stakes and left early.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
What about an annual sportsman competition of some sort sponsored by MOCA? If we could get range time @ Scarborough Rod & Gun Club to go along. Awesome range, LEOs from all over southern Maine use it. Would probably draw in tons of members. Rent tables @ Gun Shows. Let me know as soon as you are ready to accept apps. for membership. Me and my wife want to become official members.
We're thinking about "A Day on the Range With MOCA". I KNOW that i could get a ton of people from USM to tag along. Charge an entrance fee thats nominal and get the Scarborough club to donate some of it's range. We're currently looking into it. But like I said before things will really begin to start buzzing once I'm down at USM.

damienrr

We're thinking about "A Day on the Range With MOCA". I KNOW that i could get a ton of people from USM to tag along. Charge an entrance fee thats nominal and get the Scarborough club to donate some of it's range. We're currently looking into it. But like I said before things will really begin to start buzzing once I'm down at USM.

Awesome Shane!! That will be a great day. Could make it an annual event, maybe winner takes home trophy. I know dozens of people I could get to come. I think that an event such as that would attract hundreds of potential new members. Speaking of which, have you begun taking membership applications yet? Curious about cost of dews and such.

crdonov

count me in! could always use some practice.
xd-out

Jarody

It's in April as far as I know. Will draw around 60,000 I believe. Start printing flyers now. No open carry in Augusta Civic Center would be interesting challenge though. Care to respond Jarody?
There are city codes that need to be challenged and changed one way or another. What better place to assert ones right to carry then at a gun show?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are city codes that need to be challenged and changed one way or another. What better place to assert ones right to carry then at a gun show?

There are actually considerably better places than a gun show if you are looking to make any kind of a positive statement at all.

Gun shows frequently require that all guns be unloaded and zip tied, some do not even allow loaded magazines - they will cite insurance company requirements.

It won't make any difference if the property is municipally owned or not as the gun show promoter becomes a tenant with the right to establish his own rules. Since I am drawing on Va. law in making this determination, you will undoubtedly need to confirm how this impacts you under Maine law - I think you will find the end result about the same.

jonjon_jon

The Civic Center has events weekly not just gun shows. The point is does the city have the right post Civic Center off limits for firearms? Just like a school zone what's keep one nut from walking in there and start killing till all ammo is gone.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Civic Center has events weekly not just gun shows. The point is does the city have the right post Civic Center off limits for firearms? Just like a school zone what's keep one nut from walking in there and start killing till all ammo is gone.

The city can not post the civic center "No Guns" - preemption applies. The venue/tenant can IMO - show me a cite to the contrary - this would be under your state's real estate law.

Example: You as a pro RKBA owner rent a home to an anti who does not want guns carried in "his" house - his decision/choice prevails.

jonjon_jon

That is Jarodys point, the city of augusta posted no guns in civic center along with 5/6 other buildings. Will wait for Jarody to respond ( understands the laws much better then I)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is Jarodys point, the city of augusta posted no guns in civic center along with 5/6 other buildings. Will wait for Jarody to respond ( understands the laws much better then I)

I understand Maine's preemption law - it is very clean and straight forward.
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2011.html

The point of my response was to gun shows specifically wherein the promoter is a tenant in possession who is NOT bound by §2011 - the rules immediately change.

boyscout399

I understand Maine's preemption law - it is very clean and straight forward.
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2011.html

The point of my response was to gun shows specifically wherein the promoter is a tenant in possession who is NOT bound by §2011 - the rules immediately change.

Does their being a tenant make the property private property? I would think that this would be different from me renting an already private appt. to another private individual because the building in question is being funded by taxpayers, and therefore my opinion would be that regardless of who is occupying the building, if it is a publicly owned building then state law should apply.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does their being a tenant make the property private property? I would think that this would be different from me renting an already private appt. to another private individual because the building in question is being funded by taxpayers, and therefore my opinion would be that regardless of who is occupying the building, if it is a publicly owned building then state law should apply.

Publicly owned property but rented for private use. Imagine that a church were to rent a public facility and choose to exclude all of those not members of their congregation. Would they be able to do so? I think so.

Imagine that you attend a rally sponsored by a group you do not support, in a municipally owned building, and you are not on the approved speaker list. Can they deprive you of your 1st A rights and cause you to be removed if you insist on being heard. IMO, yes.

Rights must be balanced, one against the other. No right is absolute in all cases.

Understand that I am not fully cognizant of the nuances in Maine law, but find these circumstances to be very consistent throughout all states.

My general suggestion is to pick your battles wisely - chose those in which you have a better than even chance of winning. In the case of carrying loaded guns in gun shows over the objection of the venue, the odds are very much against you.

That would take an act of your legislature and would likely be reversed in court as a violation of property rights.

As to whether the municipality can be the one impose a blanket ban on guns at public facilities - w/o a doubt no.

boyscout399

Publicly owned property but rented for private use. Imagine that a church were to rent a public facility and choose to exclude all of those not members of their congregation. Would they be able to do so? I think so.

Imagine that you attend a rally sponsored by a group you do not support, in a municipally owned building, and you are not on the approved speaker list. Can they deprive you of your 1st A rights and cause you to be removed if you insist on being heard. IMO, yes.

Rights must be balanced, one against the other. No right is absolute in all cases.

Understand that I am not fully cognizant of the nuances in Maine law, but find these circumstances to be very consistent throughout all states.

My general suggestion is to pick your battles wisely - chose those in which you have a better than even chance of winning. In the case of carrying loaded guns in gun shows over the objection of the venue, the odds are very much against you.

That would take an act of your legislature and would likely be reversed in court as a violation of property rights.

As to whether the municipality can be the one impose a blanket ban on guns at public facilities - w/o a doubt no.

I was just reading more of Maine Law and Civic Auditorium falls under the category of "licensed establishment" anyway:

15. Licensed establishment. "Licensed establishment" means premises to which a license for the sale of spirits, wine or malt liquor to be consumed on or off the licensed premises applies, and any person or organization which is licensed to sell spirits, wine or malt liquor in the times, places and manners as specified in the license. The following may be licensed establishments.

C. "Civic auditorium" means a municipal, county or state or a quasi-municipal, quasi-county or quasi-state owned or operated auditorium or civic center. [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]

So a civic auditorium posted to prohibit firearms would carry weight of law and make it a crime to carry there.