• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meijer no longer OC friendly.

hopnpop

imported post

Unbelievable. Well, sadly believable is more appropriate I guess. The vic in this case, who's gun was grabbed, said it wasn't that simple and that they succeeded in getting the gun because they were LEOs. HOWEVER... I've gone thru scenarios in my head about how I'd react to gun grabs in different situations. And in all honesty, I've programmed myself to react violently and as quickly as possible, as to have the best chance at regaining control of the weapon, or at least knocking it from their possession. I've been training myself to react this way because it's been my belief that a LEO wouldn't try to take a weapon this way. I've always been pretty certain that a LEO would disclose who (he) is, so not to get himself shot in an instance like this. Very scary thought, if one were to literally "sneak up from behind and just make a grab for it". That's a great way to get shot/killed. And I agree that whether that would be justified or not, nothing good would come from it. Very dangerous scenario. I'm glad it went much better than it could have.

dukenukum

imported post

I open carried at the south Lansing Meijer and have been for a while never had any trouble with them . Aldi's has a no gun policy so they get no money from me .

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

dukenukum wrote:
I open carried at the south Lansing Meijer and have been for a while never had any trouble with them . Aldi's has a no gun policy so they get no money from me .
dukenukem,

Could you cite source for Aldi no gun policy? (personal communication w/ manager, letter, corporate website, etc.)

Thanks

dukenukum

imported post

the manager at the south Lansing store pointed out the sign , it is on your left after you enter the first doors in the little space and kind of hidden the color of the sign is brown not really a attention getter and basically states no firearms , explosives are allowed .

hopnpop

imported post

Ah, sneaky signage indeed. Same thing at Crossroads Mall in Portage - in breezway/entry by food court I had to really LOOK for any signage, which I did find. The sign isn't right near the doors, is standard paper size, and just says Rules of Conduct: blah blah blah blah, no firearms, blah blah....

I'd like to put up my own sign, big, bold, and beautiful, and reading:

SHEEPLE ONLY!!!

Those who wish to be able to effectively defend themselves - shop elsewhere!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i stopped in at the lenox twp meijer after work today. i asked to speak to a manager about a matter of policy. a manager came up to customer service and introduced herself. i briefly explained what had happened and she seemed to understand. i asked her what the policy was and she said she wasn't sure because it hadn't come up for her. she seemed a little hazy on whether it was written down or not. she called back to the security chief and he verified that store policy on open carry is that they follow the laws of the state and that it was fine as long as permits and whatnot were in order. she wasn't very clear on whether this was the policy of all meijers or just that particular store. the manager was very sympathetic about what had happened at the other store, i had explained about my daughter being there and everything. she suggested that i go to that store and ask to speak to the store director and explain everything the way i had to her. she wished me luck and we shook hands. i will try to stop by the marysville meijer tomorrow and clarify things there.

Veritas

imported post

Okay so I'm a little confused then. There is NOT a corporate policy against OC? Am I to understand that it (for sake of argument) is based on the discretion of the individual store managers?

I have not gone back to Meijer since my interaction a few weeks ago because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Meijer was against OC. If my assumption is incorrect, please advise me.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i didn't make it to the marysville meijer today. i will try and clarify these concerns with the store director. corporate told me it was up to the individual stores and i have yet to discover otherwise. as of right now, i know i can open carry at the lenox twp meijer. if i get confirmation one way or another in marysville, i'm going to try and get a copy of the policy. i intend to point out how ridiculous it is to have stores just miles apart with differant policies.

hopnpop

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Okay so I'm a little confused then. There is NOT a corporate policy against OC? Am I to understand that it (for sake of argument) is based on the discretion of the individual store managers?

I have not gone back to Meijer since my interaction a few weeks ago because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Meijer was against OC. If my assumption is incorrect, please advise me.
I never thought the corp was anti OC! :what:I still to this day have been OCing @ Meijer in Portage w/out any probs. I've read about some of these Meijers run-ins but thought those were instances of ignoramus management that didn't understand the law. I thought Meijer corp just said they went with whatever the laws of the state were, in this case, making them OC friendlies. Now hearing more garbage aboutit being left to the store manager or director orwhoever's discretion. :banghead:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i was unable to speak to the store director at the marysville meijer today. i did, however, have a fantastic conversation with the duty manager. she listened quietly to my whole story (i had my daughter with me again). she said that she was aware of the incident, but just briefly. it was nice to fill her in on my side.
i gave her a MOC pamphlet and she was more than willing to accept it and even asked if she could keep it. i said she was more than welcome. she did not exactly apologize, but she did seem sympathetic and mentioned that it must have been embarrassing for me that the situation was handled the way it was.
she said that she was glad that i had come in and thought that once she looked into it that it would be a good learning experience. she also said that she was unaware of any specific policy regarding firearms but that she would research and get back to me.
i did tell her that i spoke to the lenox twp meijer and they were cool with OC. i also mentioned that we are a sizeable organization both in michigan and nationally and that we network extensively. and so that she didn't think that i was making a threat i told her that we were not militia or "fringe" or crazy activists, but that we are just a regular group of citizens who exercise a legal right.
i also name-dropped walmart for the purpose of letting her know that their corporate policy was very clear about OC. i told her that in a state where OC is legal, they should expect people to walk in with guns and that it was odd that i was singled out as apparently being the only individual not allowed to OC in that store. she agreed. i told her that i like meijer and prefer to shop there, but was ending my relationship with the store until there was resolution. she said she understood and that they didn’t want to lose my business.
i eagerly await their response and will post it ASAP. if the store director OKs OC i will ask for a letter stating that i am once again allowed my constitutional right in their store. and i’ll also ask for a copy of the page out of their corporate policy.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

WOW, a Leo was stupid enough to grab your firearm without first identifying themselves as a LEO? That is all kinds of stupid right there.

A few decades back, I was grabbed from behind by a LEO that did not identify himself as such. I noticed as he was a LEO as he was falling backwards screaming. I got all kinds of beat-up by the other officers that he was with, and I had charges against mea mile long including but not limited to Intent to drive while intoxicated, battery of a public Servant, resisting, Disorderly Etc Etc Etc.

I was out one night consuming waytoo many adult libations and arranged for a sober friend to drive me home due to my inebriation. I walked up to my motorcycle, placed the keys in the ignition while standing beside it, locked the steering, removed the keys and started to step away when I was grabbed from behind.
I kicked backwards into this personsleg, swung an elbow , turned hard with a swingand caught him across the chin with my fist and I did not see the badge until he was on his ass screaming. I immediately threw my hands up and apologized only to be tackled and beaten while cuffed by him and 2 other deputies. if they would have had pepper spray, I am sure I would have gotten that too.

While in custody at the station they tried to forceme to blow into abreathalyzer and I refused, that cost me a punch to the stomach by that officer. Luckilythe watch commander witnessed this andhe pulled thecop off me and removed him from the room.
It is complete stupidity for a cop to try crap like what he did to you, I hope all goes well in your case against them and the offending officer (s) are dealt a harsh punishment. Wouldn't a stunt like that be considered "Strong-Arm robbery" if anyone but a cop did that? That officer could have easily been killed in a situation like that.

T Vance

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
A few decades back, I was grabbed from behind by a LEO that did not identify himself as such. I noticed as he was a LEO as he was falling backwards screaming. I got all kinds of beat-up by the other officers that he was with, and I had charges against mea mile long including but not limited to Intent to drive while intoxicated, battery of a public Servant, resisting, Disorderly Etc Etc Etc.
Where you found guilty of these crimes you were charged with? Did you file a lawsuit against them for police brutality? I sure hope so!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i met with the marysville chief of police this morning. he reached out to me privately over 2 weeks ago and asked me to come in and speak to him man to man. i was touched by his gesture so i agreed, but i had to wait until i came back from vacation.
we sat in his office for almost 40 minutes and had a fantastic discussion. he came off as a very reasonable and intelligent individual. there were points we discussed that we ended up agreeing to disagree upon, but it was still very friendly.
out of mutual respect, i did not record the conversation. i didn't want to come across as aggressive and felt that the tape recorder would have, perhaps, made him less willing to speak freely. i feel that the whole experience was, overall, a posative learning experience for the marysville pd and i truly believe that in the future OC situations will be handled quit differently.
i was encouraged that the chief did concede that certain aspects of the encounter were not handle correctly. i don't want to get into a lot of details because i feel that a mutual respect was established and some trust was earned. i do not intend to rake the marysville pd through the muck.
i do not OC to get a reaction out of people. nor do i do it to try and "get rich" by taking someone to court. that's not to say that i don't think it's warrented in some cases (the chris fetters civil rights lawsuit would be one that i agree with).

T Vance

imported post

Just like any movement, it takes someone (or a few people) to be treated wrongly for doing something they believe in to make it easier for themselvesand others in the future.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Good to hear Smellslikemichigan. I think what is crucial at this point is that the pd is up to speed (briefings) on laws pertaining to OC, as well as, SOP onMWAG calls for those who are OC'ing.

ghostrider

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
i met with the marysville chief of police this morning. he reached out to me privately over 2 weeks ago and asked me to come in and speak to him man to man. i was touched by his gesture so i agreed, but i had to wait until i came back from vacation.
we sat in his office for almost 40 minutes and had a fantastic discussion. he came off as a very reasonable and intelligent individual. there were points we discussed that we ended up agreeing to disagree upon, but it was still very friendly.
out of mutual respect, i did not record the conversation. i didn't want to come across as aggressive and felt that the tape recorder would have, perhaps, made him less willing to speak freely. i feel that the whole experience was, overall, a posative learning experience for the marysville pd and i truly believe that in the future OC situations will be handled quit differently.
i was encouraged that the chief did concede that certain aspects of the encounter were not handle correctly. i don't want to get into a lot of details because i feel that a mutual respect was established and some trust was earned. i do not intend to rake the marysville pd through the muck.
i do not OC to get a reaction out of people. nor do i do it to try and "get rich" by taking someone to court. that's not to say that i don't think it's warrented in some cases (the chris fetters civil rights lawsuit would be one that i agree with).
I'm glad you followed up with the comment on Chris Fetters. I get tired of hearing people associate the idea of suing LE agency's and officers as just a scheme to get rich, thereby degrading the practice as less than honorable. It's disgusting!

The fact that LEO's are trampling peoples rights in this area so fearlessly is an indication of a culture among LE agency's in general that they know they can get away with such practice. They don't fear repercussions of the practice, and the best way to put a stop to such practice is to take them to court. Sometimes complaining to the higher ups does work, and it's always a good way to go, but there are other times when it should be skipped altogether. Take the example of Flint. One member was told, "Didn't you get the warning?" after the officer acknowledged that OC is legal. That comment demonstrates that the message was, "even though we all know it's legal, We (read that paticular agency's officers) are going to do anything we can to discourage the practice, and if that means trampling your rights, then so be it." It was nothing less than thug like intimidation, and should be met with a righteous law suite that puts that paticular officer searching for another line of work. Dispicable.

I usderstand that some people are not in a position to seek out such actions, and that's their individual decission to make. Some people can't afford the legal bills involved (even though they get it back eventually, it's still an expensive process), and they know this. (That's why the majority of people in prison are fromt the poorer segments of society. People like to point out that certain minority groups make up the larger segments of the prison population, but ignore the aspect that it's generally because they are from a poorer society, which not only breeds more crime, but also makes them more vulnerable to the legal system due to that financial status.) They know that for most people, it's easier and cheaper to just go along to get along.

Lawsuites in these cases are not only NOT unwarranted, but are in fact effective. It isn't like these are gray areas. These are clear violations of civil rights that have already been ruled on by the higher courts. Preemption is indusputable in Michigan. Because of this, Grand Haven did not have a legal leg to stand on. That's why the had to drop/dismiss (I forget which one it is) charges. Likewise, they really don't have any legal protection for the liability they put themselves in. That is also why previous cases have been settled out of court instead of going to court. There was even a quote from teh city attorney in the Atlanta (I believe) case stating that it was cheaper to settle than to go to court and then have to pay for the citizens legal fees.

When officers demonstrate a clear disdain toward civil rights, they it becomes necessary to use whatever (legal) means available to discourage that behavior. They laugh at complaints, because that process does not affect them, while at the same time makes any case against them more difficult. That Flint officer know's he's violating someones rights, but he knows he can get away with it because there have already been attempts at "education" (or complaints) and he's still out there harassing OC'ers. THAT PATICULAR OFFICER NEEDS TO BE THROWN OFF THE FORCE, FOR THE BETTERMENT OF SOCIETY! Such intinidation of law abiding citizens should NOT be treated with kid gloves. He isn't "making a "mistake" in the intrest of public safety", he is trying to bully a law abiding citizen, and that should be unacceptable.

We even have a lawyer who fights for firearms rights within this state who has said that he has had officers tell him that they will try to watch OC'ers loading/unloading by their car so that they can (falsely) arrest them for brandishing. This is a clear intention to not only circumvent the law, but also to supress civil rights of individual citizens. These paticular officers need no "education" on the legalities of OC. The education they need is to learn that it willl be financialy painful, and a bad career move to step on citizens civil rights. Until that happens, the abuse of authority will continue. These aren't cops, they are criminal thugs, and should be treated as such. "Eductaing" them only teachs them lessons, and they will use those lessons to further abuse the rights of law abiding citizens.

This mentality that suing the officers for such atrocious actions, is less than honorable, has got to cease. Good cops don't do these things, and those suites are not frivolous, they are necessary for the betterment of society. There are lots of good men and women waiting in line to become servants of our great society. Untill the bad ones are weeded out, the good ones won't have as good a chance.