• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Members with Facebook Pages.

EM87

imported post

jvanhorn wrote:
Have you explored this situation with your parents? Maybe they aren't as hard about this as you think.

I don't really want to criticize, but it seems a little bit two-faced, to, on one hand, accept the handouts from your parents, and on the other, to assert your independence.

But then, I'm 53 years old, and my children are still trying to spend my retirement. I'm sure I have a very biased opinion of such situations! :)

I understand where you're coming from, and can see your point. I don't know what to tell you in response to your comments, except that my parents and I just see the issue differently.

It's not that my parents are anti-gun or anything, it's just that they're uncomfortable with me owning one because they're worried about it getting stolen and are somehow uncomfortable with the idea of me carrying a gun. I don't think they understand my views on the subject, or my level of responsibility when it comes to proper safety/handling/decision making. My dad loves guns and shooting, and my mom has learned to accept it. I grew up shooting with my dad. I've had the discussion with him about owning one and he just doesn't see the need. They say that it's something I can do once I'm on my own.

Yes, it seems two-faced, but all I can say is that we just don't see eye to eye.

Your comments are welcome, as always, but especially because I'd really like some outside input on this subject.

T Vance

imported post

Sounds like your parents are very similar to mine. My dad does not like the fact that I OC, but he has no problem with me CCing. He prefers to "fly under the radar". Me, I like to desensatize/educate the public, and stand for something I believe in.

EM87

imported post

This weekend I sat down with my parents and had the 'gun talk' with them. It went very well and it is now safe to post gun references on my facebook page.