• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI HB 6048 of 2010

Do you support this bill becoming law?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lil_freak_66

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
the only problem that i see if having an endorsement on a drivers license is when you need to present it for identification of a cc purchase (which technically, a business cannot ask you to provide.... as crazy as that sounds), or check processing, or in a bank to with draw funds, etc.... do YOU want those people to know that potentially that you may be carrying concealed??
most of us open carry...why would we be afraid of people knowing we carry?

mel5051

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
the only problem that i see if having an endorsement on a drivers license is when you need to present it for identification of a cc purchase (which technically, a business cannot ask you to provide.... as crazy as that sounds), or check processing, or in a bank to with draw funds, etc.... do YOU want those people to know that potentially that you may be carrying concealed??
I certainly hope, at your age of 17, that you are NOT carrying at all. Leave that until you are the legal age of 18, which I believe in your case, in late July.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I prefer the entire world to know I carry, but the point is quite good, most people who carry prefer noone to know "always carry, never tell" and such. While I prefer to spread the word and get more people interested in self defense, others do not feel that political and social draw to get others to do so as well. perhaps for that crowd the license endorsement would be a bad way to go, as they prefer to keep thier gun a private matter.

Very good point on the endorsement idea. Gotta express your rights, but still need to respect and think about others and how they express them as well.

cscitney87

imported post

I wouldn't want the CCW on my Drivers License. There are some private business that post No Firearms stickers. If I have to present my ID; I do not need the owner knowing I have a firearm. The point of concealing over Open Carry is just in case of this situation. Go In- Transact Business- Leave.. All while carrying but concealed as to be asked to leave the business. I know about all the cunning replies and come backs to the above situation so save it. Just saying I don't want the CCW indicator on my Drivers License. It's a very, very, very personal issue to me. Much more so than my Date of Birth and Address (which are publicly available anyway). CCW status is Private.

cscitney87

imported post

Every time you use your Credit Card and the merchant asks for ID.. Do you need that person knowing you are Armed with a firearm? Absolutely Not in any Fashion/Way/Just No. Happens to us all the time when we use a credit card.

viperar15

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
viperar15 wrote:

that is because sometimes, maybe some of us who do OC need or want to conceal for a specific reason and do not under any circumstances want another person to know that we are carrying legally (i will not endorse or support the cover up to conceal in a business that states no firearms).

plus as others have stated, those that do not OC and only CC should not have to give up their ability to stay concealed and private to anyone that they may run into that may need for a legal reason to see your ID.

remember... its not just about us OC'ers, Its also about the CC'ers.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
viperar15 wrote:

that is because sometimes, maybe some of us who do OC need or want to conceal for a specific reason and do not under any circumstances want another person to know that we are carrying legally (i will not endorse or support the cover up to conceal in a business that states no firearms).

plus as others have stated, those that do not OC and only CC should not have to give up their ability to stay concealed and private to anyone that they may run into that may need for a legal reason to see your ID.

remember... its not just about us OC'ers, Its also about the CC'ers.
If this bill becomes law, the only way to avoid the situation is if the State would also provide a separate State ID for those with the CPL/CCW endorsement on the original ID or at lest offer it as an option.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Ive only had a chance to read part of this thing, and Ive noticed that several times the word "weapons" was crossed out, and the word "weapon" is used in its place. Does that mean, A. That it will no longer pertain to pistols only, and B. That without the plural, they will not allow the posession of a second gun/knife?

Bronson

imported post

khicks wrote:
the only problem i see is, where the bill crosses out pistols licence for pistol, (one) not the possibility of more then one being carried. as i read it, and i my be wrong

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(v02rtf45kfdge355jckc3byx))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-8-3b&query=on&highlight=singular%20AND%20plural
8.3b Singular and plural; gender.

Sec. 3b.

Every word importing the singular number only may extend to and embrace the plural number, and every word importing the plural number may be applied and limited to the singular number. Every word importing the masculine gender only may extend and be applied to females as well as males.

Bronson

FatboyCykes

imported post

Bronson wrote:
khicks wrote:
the only problem i see is, where the bill crosses out pistols licence for pistol, (one) not the possibility of more then one being carried. as i read it, and i my be wrong

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(v02rtf45kfdge355jckc3byx))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-8-3b&query=on&highlight=singular%20AND%20plural
8.3b Singular and plural; gender.

Sec. 3b.

Every word importing the singular number only may extend to and embrace the plural number, and every word importing the plural number may be applied and limited to the singular number. Every word importing the masculine gender only may extend and be applied to females as well as males.

Bronson

Why go out of the way to change it though? :/

viperar15

imported post

i did not see anywhere that "pistols" was crossed out and replaced with "pistol"

also, as far as the "weapons" being crossed out and being replaced with "weapon" was every time they refered to the concealed weapon(s) board.

fozzy71

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
If this bill becomes law, the only way to avoid the situation is if the State would also provide a separate State ID for those with the CPL/CCW endorsement on the original ID or at lest offer it as an option.

I believe I read a post on here, from a new CPL holder, that his card was all plastic, similar to a dtrivers license or credit card, sans the magnetic strip. I could be mistaken, and perhaps it was in a different forum, but I think it was here.

ETA: Post #69 FTW

viperar15

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

I believe I read a post on here, from a new CPL holder, that his card was all plastic, similar to a dtrivers license or credit card, sans the magnetic strip. I could be mistaken, and perhaps it was in a different forum, but I think it was here.

ETA: Post #69 FTW
it wasn't me... but yes... mine is all plastic, just like my drivers license...

Bronson

imported post

I don't think it really has anything to do with when it was issued. It has more to do with whether or not the county wants to justify the expense for the machine. Calhoun county recently purchased the machine and for $10 we can go in and get a replacement license. They are pretty nice. A lot more durable and the pic is printed directly onto the license instead of just being held on with the laminate.

Bronson

viperar15

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
When was it issued?

2009... Midland County.. ;-) we know how to spend money here... lol

i think dad's original was paper/laminate... but that was back when shall issue first came to be. he's got the new plastic blue card and so does my brother.

bruiser 160

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
When was it issued?

2009... Midland County.. ;-) we know how to spend money here... lol

i think dad's original was paper/laminate... but that was back when shall issue first came to be. he's got the new plastic blue card and so does my brother.
I got my renewal in January of this year and it is the old laminated style.