• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milford Permit Appllication Problems?

KIX

Until they pass a law that says if you are a resident, you MUST have a PA permit.

I can see more of that happening in the future. Especially if a bill like HR 822 passes.

Jonathan

brk913

Until they pass a law that says if you are a resident, you MUST have a PA permit.

I can see more of that happening in the future. Especially if a bill like HR 822 passes.

Jonathan

They won't have to pass such a law, it is built into 822. From the bill: "may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person"

Last edited:

dcmdon

They won't pass that law, because PA is a pro-gun state, generally speaking. The problem is Philli. So the state legislature would never do that. It would be political suicide. Because of where we're located Philli is all we know of PA, but its a very rural state.

HR822 will never become law. I'll bet anyone who will take it a night out to dinner. Even if the Senate passes their version, it will get tangled up in reconciliation because the Democratically controlled senate will surely ad some amendments. And if it makes it out of that before the end of the session, BHO will veto it.

BRK913 - Go here, read this. http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_law.html

Its a nice effort that won't ever fly until we get a pro-gun president. (I'm not even going to say Republican, since there are plenty of pro-gun Democrats and anti-gun Republicans)

Don

btw, can you believe that Harry Reid voted for HR822?? He's no dummy.

Last edited:

KIX

Which is why I still see states passing some sort of law in the meantime.

BRK: Thanx for reminding me, been a few months since I read the bill.

BHO vetoing it, in an election cycle would be interesting. Especially since he says he's not "anti-gun".

Jonathan

dcmdon

My prediction is that either it won't get out of reconciliation or, they will do something very clever and sinister.

Its called a pocket veto. Under the Constitution, if a President does not sign a bill within 10 days of it being presented to him for consideration, it becomes law . . . unless congress adjourns before the 10 days are up.

So if it gets to him within 10 days of the end of a Congressional session, he can merely sit on it. By doing nothing he effectively vetos it.

Now lets look at whats been accomplished:
1) bill is dead
2) Congressmen can go back to their consituents and say they supported it
3) President can say that it was given to him too late for full consideration and he wasn't going to be rushed into signing something so significant. His record stays clean. No Veto.

If I can come up with this, imagine what a professional politician can do.

Don

brk913

They won't pass that law, because PA is a pro-gun state, generally speaking. The problem is Philli. So the state legislature would never do that. It would be political suicide. Because of where we're located Philli is all we know of PA, but its a very rural state.

HR822 will never become law. I'll bet anyone who will take it a night out to dinner. Even if the Senate passes their version, it will get tangled up in reconciliation because the Democratically controlled senate will surely ad some amendments. And if it makes it out of that before the end of the session, BHO will veto it.

BRK913 - Go here, read this. http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_law.html

Its a nice effort that won't ever fly until we get a pro-gun president. (I'm not even going to say Republican, since there are plenty of pro-gun Democrats and anti-gun Republicans)

Don

btw, can you believe that Harry Reid voted for HR822?? He's no dummy.

I am fully aware of how a bill becomes law, I am also on record all over the this forum and CTGT stating I believe this bill will never pass and become law, I was just answering the question about the honoring of out of state permits for residents if it does pass, if passed with it's current wording a resident of PA will not be able to simply use a FL permit in PA. That being said I state again that I do not believe this bill will make it out of the Senate, Reid will bring it to the floor, in fact he will vote for it, knowing that it will not pass. A similar bill failed in 2009 by 2 votes in the Senate, I expect it to fail by a greater number this time around, if the bill has a chance of passing the Senate Reid will not let it out of committee...

Last edited:

fastmopar

waiting,waiting

My wife and i both went to milford pd for our local temp permit oat the same time, she got hers already, i called milford to ask about mine i was told its on the chiefs desk waiting for his signature, well that was 3 1/2 weeks ago, i dont want to pester the pd but does any one have advice shes waiting for me to get my temp so we can goto middletown with one trip but her 60 days is running out quick, how can they just let approved apps just sit on a desk, any help is appreciated.

davidmcbeth

Banned
My wife and i both went to milford pd for our local temp permit oat the same time, she got hers already, i called milford to ask about mine i was told its on the chiefs desk waiting for his signature, well that was 3 1/2 weeks ago, i dont want to pester the pd but does any one have advice shes waiting for me to get my temp so we can goto middletown with one trip but her 60 days is running out quick, how can they just let approved apps just sit on a desk, any help is appreciated.

Go pester the chief's boss ... go to your next village board meeting and let them know ! Or file an appeal ... may as well start an appeal, it won't hurt.

Commies commies and more commies. With Milford, I doubt your complaint will be given the consideration it should but get it on the record ... its something they'll have to answer to on election day.

Rich B

Don't have her wait for yours. That is a losing proposition.

You need to get your dates and appeal.

davidmcbeth

Banned
there is no law that says any PD must agree to take your prints. But that is where knowing your way around bureaucracies and not being afraid to escalate comes into play.
If my local PD refused, I'd be talking to the chief. if the Chief refused, I'd be talking to the police board. . If they refused, I'd be talking to the Mayor/Town Manager/First Selectman.

On a practical level, you won't have any trouble getting your prints taken.

The purpose of taking prints is just to identify you; there is no requirement for prints as Rich said and was also opposed to legislation last year regarding it.

I objected to prints on my application ... we'll see what the board says about it. The PD's own notary notarized my dps form; there is no doubt who I was...they personally know me too.

If you never gave prints before then they have nothing to do with identifying you at all, right? They only take them to use at a future trial date...so does the 5th amendment come into play? Its an interesting question.

I think its just a way to intimidate people. Criminals get fingerprinted. Why should law abiding citizens be required to do it for any reason.