• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Magazine to do open carry story - needs help now

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

It is my opinion that the last real true editor has retired to Charleston, SC. The last real true editor in the person of James J. Kilpatrick, author of 'A Conservative View', 'The Writers Art', 'A Political Bestiary', 'Fine Print' and 'Foxes Union.'

Perhaps we can correlate the death of mainstream conservatism with the rise of child-editor journalism majors.

WIG19

imported post

WIG19 wrote:
p.s. I will follow through & send a note to the magazine as promised. :)

Done

Holy cats... I just got a note back from a Mr. Murphy asking if my (very lengthy) email to him was for publication. I did also mention that while I do believe the article - as it ended up - fell far short of what we'd like to see they deserved some credit for even tackling the issue, something AG Van Hollen is notably mute on. Also told him that I understand that my note would be edited for brevity, I'm sure due to space considerations.

I wonder where they publish letters to the editor... in the December issue?

Edit to add: ...and I have a followup from him. BTW, I also did point out the things that Samantha got correct, althoughin my note you are "Ms. Hernandez". ;) After further review, it's also a bit disappointing for Samantha's sake that they didn't devote more space to the effort, because it is something that many people simply don't "get" and need to have explained to them. Heck I was rooting for her just from the chance to see someone go from journalistic intern to Nobel Prize winner.

shernandez

imported post

I was surprised at the amount of room that I was given. Which I brought up to my editor at the other pub I work for.

I was hoping for the Nobel as well. I guess I will just have settle for Ms. Congeniality.

WIG19

imported post

shernandez wrote:
I was surprised at the amount of room that I was given. Which I brought up to my editor at the other pub I work for.
I understand that MM is kind of a self-licking ice-cream cone. The sad state of affairs is that far too many - in absence of a real explanation of the law and, particularly, the factualtwists - will simply look at the page and conclude they're glad the guy in the picture doesn't have his gun back, for a variety of (unfounded) visceral reasons. (My only visceral reaction was to be jealous of Parabellum exclaiming "dang, I had hair like that 35 years ago.")
:lol:

shernandez wrote:
I was hoping for the Nobel as well. I guess I will just have settle for Ms. Congeniality.
That you have been.

shernandez

imported post

WIG19 wrote:
shernandez wrote:
I understand that MM is kind of a self-licking ice-cream cone. The sad state of affairs is that far too many - in absence of a real explanation of the law and, particularly, the factualtwists - will simply look at the page and conclude they're glad the guy in the picture doesn't have his gun back, for a variety of (unfounded) visceral reasons. (My only visceral reaction was to be jealous of Parabellum exclaiming "dang, I had hair like that 35 years ago.")
:lol:

shernandez wrote:
That you have been.

The point of the article was to point out that there is nothing clear cut and there needs to be. Hence the Zelban quotes. I had a Chisholm quote in the original that said something to the effect of citizens would have to get involved for change to happen. Something like that.

I did feel that Zelban's call for action was strongerand I'm glad the editors went with it.

WIG19

imported post

shernandez wrote:
Hence the Zelban quotes. I had a Chisholm quote in the original that said something to the effect of citizens would have to get involved for change to happen. Something like that.

I did feel that Zelban's call for action was strongerand I'm glad the editors went with it.

True enough & glad it was included as well. :)

Unfortunately, what's needed musthappen from the AG down, from at least the LE perspective. For that to happen, enough people need to write their elected reps and have them get in a closed-room with (very diluted) AG Van Hollen, for a little wall-to-wall counselling.

Seemingly frivolous and bogus enforcement actions will stop whenLEis provided that guidance at the same time attorney's for municipalities receive same. Officers go off to work with what's in their pocket for policy; most are straight arrows anddon't have time to make stuff up. When they do it's because they're ignorant of the law. When they have the proper guidance to work with, people won't be getting arrested on their property, but rather see the MWAG caller get the education. I'll say this again: Denial of a right because it's in the "too hard to do" category for local government is still denial of right. They will have to educate the public, investigate calls but stick to the law.

Further,cities must be publiclyheld to account for 66.0409 violation$ and malicious prosecutions for other catch-all ordinances, as well as willful failure to train. There are few more persuasive sticks for the child-like adult to be forced into a value judgement than removal of $$ from the wallet. Unfortunately, that is what local governments rely on - most citizens end up genuflecting because they have no economical access to legal services.

[/rant]

:cool: