• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mistaken for a Bank Robber while CCing in Tacoma

Mainsail

imported post

It happened this afternoon in Tacoma again. I turned on the scanner around lunch time and heard an officer tell dispatch that he was behind a car with someone he recognized as an armed robbery suspect. He mentioned that they had just left a gun shop, Mary’s Pistols on Tyler. He followed them down Tyler until some more cars got in the area as it was going to be a ‘high risk’ stop. They lit them up and did the whole felony stop procedure, meanwhile I called Dan over at Mary’s to make sure they were all ok, and he didn’t know anything about it. About that time I heard the officer call in to slow everyone down as the suspects were wearing fatigues. Dan said a TPD unit had just pulled up outside and he was going to talk to them when they came in, so I hung up. Dan called back later and it turns out it was a case of mistaken identity; two GIs who must have looked like some wanted robbery suspects. Nevertheless, they got to experience the full felony stop scenario from the business end.

MetalChris

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
two GIs who must have looked like some wanted robbery suspects. Nevertheless, they got to experience the full felony stop scenario from the business end.
I hope to GOD that they bring this up with their First Sergeant and TPD gets some well-deserved feedback!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How about RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT!
You have a violent felon, guns pointing everywhere, and they disarm you and
trap you in a coffin sized box with no way to defend yourself or escape.
Then to compound the danger they tell you not to put your gun back where
they took it from because the cops were trigger happy?
I could maybe excuse the handcuffs till they ID'd you, but trapping you
in such a violent situation, and then the implied threat, changes things.

antispam540

imported post

Wow. Kudos to the officers involved - the fact that there are only 4 pages of analysis of your actions is evidence you did pretty much everything right. If you'd tasered the guy, though, heaven help you. We'd probably get 30 pages of angry comments on the internet, and that's really not something you want to face :p

Aryk45XD

imported post

Sounds pretty good overall. The only thing I have a small problem is keeping the handcuffs on after you're ID'd. I completely understand both sides on all other accounts. Great story.