• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC - amending bylaws

Should a special meeting be called?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scot623

imported post

I have no problem with the way the board functions. If the board starts making descisions contrary to the by-laws as written, then I'd have a problem.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
we elected all of the board ?

and who is on the board ?

is the vice pres on the board ?
The board/Council/Governing bodywas elected by its members. They have followed the guidelines of the bi-laws. Now you question not only the governing body in place but also the bi-laws in place. Which you should have questioned before you became a member. If in fact you have issues with any of the above, as a perspective member you should haveknownthe answer to your own questionbefore signing the check.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

As I have stated before you have paid to join a volunteer organization. A volunteer organization which has a governing body. You and only you have paid to be governed by this organization in anything you do with regards to them or vise versa. The election process was held. Wether or not you were a member at that time has no bearing on the fact these people were put in place bythe current members at that time. It is not the board/Council/Governing bodies responsiblity to cater to your individual perspective but to continue on with the main goal of the company which is far more important then any individual ideals.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wardog6d wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
MOC does in fact have a governing body. Lets look at it from this stand point. If a company CEO quits what happens within the company. They Hire another! Do the share holders elect another?
A CEO is outside the governing body, that'd be like appointing a state coordinator that is a position held over the regional coordinators.
Your missing the point. You the members have elected all of the board. You elected each individual based on your opinion they will do whats right for the cause. Now your questioning there ability to do what you have elected them to do in accordance with the bi-laws they are governed by.
Hitler was elected into power. So was Saddam Hussein.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
MOC does in fact have a governing body. Lets look at it from this stand point. If a company CEO quits what happens within the company. They Hire another! Do the share holders elect another?
A CEO is outside the governing body, that'd be like appointing a state coordinator that is a position held over the regional coordinators.
Your missing the point. You the members have elected all of the board. You elected each individual based on your opinion they will do whats right for the cause. Now your questioning there ability to do what you have elected them to do in accordance with the bi-laws they are governed by.
Hitler was elected into power. So was Saddam Hussein.

The point is - I want the republic body that is the governing board to ALWAYS be comprised of elected members, and NEVER be comprised of appointed members.

It should NEVER be the case that ANY member of the governing board is appointed, except for in extreme extenuating circumstances, and then should only be for a temporary time, say 60 days, until an election can be held.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Look guys, I understand some of you feel you were left out by not having a vote. however, as it has been stated everything was done in accordance with the rules. What needs to be realised now is that the current Board and myself are working our tails to the bone trying to complete a restructuring process. I know a lack of information makes folks start thinking... it would me too. All I ask is for you to be confident in us that we are working according to the marching orders laid forth at the founding of MOC and to give us some time.

We may have a location lined up for a special meeting hopefully to occur on the weekend of the 20th. That is of this month by the way. It is short notice, but again it is a special meeting. I ask you all to check your schedules and be ready to advise if you will be able to attend a meeting that weekend. Hopefully I will be contacting every MOC member individually within the week with a confirmation of a meeting place and being working logistics.

Also, know that I am trying to stay on top of posts and get everyone's feelings on the side. I have spoken with some on the phone, some with emails. I was embarrased when I nearly fell asleep while on the phone with someone last night! I want to address concerns effectively and if possible, to everyone's satisfaction.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Look guys, I understand some of you feel you were left out by not having a vote. however, as it has been stated everything was done in accordance with the rules. What needs to be realised now is that the current Board and myself are working our tails to the bone trying to complete a restructuring process. I know a lack of information makes folks start thinking... it would me too. All I ask is for you to be confident in us that we are working according to the marching orders laid forth at the founding of MOC and to give us some time.

We may have a location lined up for a special meeting hopefully to occur on the weekend of the 20th. That is of this month by the way. It is short notice, but again it is a special meeting. I ask you all to check your schedules and be ready to advise if you will be able to attend a meeting that weekend. Hopefully I will be contacting every MOC member individually within the week with a confirmation of a meeting place and being working logistics.

Also, know that I am trying to stay on top of posts and get everyone's feelings on the side. I have spoken with some on the phone, some with emails. I was embarrased when I nearly fell asleep while on the phone with someone last night! I want to address concerns effectively and if possible, to everyone's satisfaction. 

Is the special meeting you're talking about the same as the one I'm talking about?

I'd like some time to actually draft an amendment to the bylaws. I won't be available that weekend.

T Vance

imported post

Will this meeting take place in a centrally located place, so as to make it easier for everyone to attend. For example, if the meeting takes place near Detroit, it will be harder for people on the west side, or northern MIto attend?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Will this meeting take place in a centrally located place, so as to make it easier for everyone to attend. For example, if the meeting takes place near Detroit, it will be harder for people on the west side, or northern MIto attend?

centrally located with regard to membership location

I guess we need a google map

WARCHILD

imported post

Given membership location from what I can see. Some place in Lansing or if I may suggest....no flame please.... Ponderosa here in Owosso. We know we are welcome and I can arrange for as much room as you deem necessary.

Just a thought...:?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Given membership location from what I can see. Some place in Lansing or if I may suggest....no flame please.... Ponderosa here in Owosso. We know we are welcome and I can arrange for as much room as you deem necessary.

Just a thought...:?

hahaha, perfect.

Now, if only it weren't that weekend...

Radioman

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
SNIP
We may have a location lined up for a special meeting hopefully to occur on the weekend of the 20th. That is of this month by the way. It is short notice, but again it is a special meeting. I ask you all to check your schedules and be ready to advise if you will be able to attend a meeting that weekend.

SNIP
If its the weekend of the 20th Make an arrangement for reading the ammendments beforehand and placing an absentee ballot for or against the changes.

All members should have a say in the direction of the .INC present or not. That is the way corporations do it. I have a direct vote, proxy vote or the option to vote in abstentia in a few different corporations. This is the proper way to handle special meetings with votes involved. Or even general all membership votes.

Just so everyones clear. A vote in Abstentia is the same as an abesntee ballot for a government election and a Proxy Vote is giving your voting power to another party that you trust to use your voting power the way you wish them too. Just in case anyone isnt familiar with the terms.

Radioman

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I love the passion and determination but isn't it time that we stand together? Do we really have to keep doing things to drive a stake through the middle of the membership? The fact is that the board has acted within the guidelines set forth by the founding members. The current board has also acted professionally and with the best interest of everyone in mind. There has been no grounds for anyone's recall or to believe that the system has failed its members. The process for appointing candidates was carefully considered. The openings were posted for everyone to see on OCDO. Several people contacted me regarding the open positions and expressed their interest, knowing that it was an appointed position. Many of the candidates were asked either through email, pm, or a phone conversation to submit the reasons why they would like the job and to list what they could bring to the table. After the information was considered by the board we voted. All appointed positions were done by a unanimous vote. There was a process that was in place and that was followed to the "T" for this particular situation.

We have been in place for one week, some less than that. We have been trying to move us forward but we can't do that when the infighting drags you down. Instead of focusing our energy on putting out fires we could be using that time to focus on innovative ways to launch MOC, Inc to the next level. Do all of you believe that with everything going on and all we have to accomplish that THIS is the best use of everyone's time when there is no issue here? I was elected VP in November by a large vote because the people had confidence in me that I would do my best and help make MOC stronger. I ask that you restore that confidence and let us do the jobs that we are here for.

There is one flaw in many of the arguments to amend the by-laws, the example of government. MOC, Inc is not, has never been, nor intended to run like government. It is a corporation and corporations have rules and policies. If we change the by-laws to fit someones personal agenda where do we stop? Do we change them again with the next board because they do not like something? It's a dark road that you go down when you set a precedence that anytime we do not like something we will just rewrite it, and keep rewriting it. The fact is that our by-laws were established for all to see from day one before we were all members. These were the laws that we agreed to with our memberships and only now we want to change them.

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Right now we have to come together! I ask the members to show their confidence in their leadership that we will continue to do the right thing and always keep our members best interest at heart. Stop working to divide us and start supporting each other so that we can march forward together!!!!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not trying to divide MOC.

I just don't like the oligarchy superstructure that was created for the organization. I think this can be changed once, and permanently, without detrimentally affecting MOC as a whole.

I like that the board can operate autonomously, but I'd rather have the board be comprised exclusively of elected members.

Is that really such a bad thing?

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I'm not trying to divide MOC.

I just don't like the oligarchy superstructure that was created for the organization. I think this can be changed once, and permanently, without detrimentally affecting MOC as a whole.

I like that the board can operate autonomously, but I'd rather have the board be comprised exclusively of elected members.

Is that really such a bad thing?
And this could stillbecome an issue down the road when there are even more members. Better to "nip it in the bud" early.