• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More anti-OC flak

eastmeyers

I couldn't agree with you more. I still do not understand why certain members of MGO suggested that members don't carry their shotguns and rifles at the ARTS BEATS and Eats festival .This would have been the confrontation needed once and for all to show everybody that open carry was their rights no matter who was offended!!! Then these same members of MGO got offended and mad at me when I suggested that they should open carry their shotguns and rifles into the lobby of the 6th precinct police station in detroit right after the shooting incident.Whats with these wusses.Don't they know that failing to excercise their rights every chance they get,they'll lose them?I say if your going to make a point go big or go home.Who are they impressing at a library anyway?They could have made the 6 oclock news if they would have open carried their shotguns and rifle into the lobby of the 6th precinct.I'm 100 percent open carry any where and everywhere.

Go home troll, your not welcome here.

You are not pro OC, if you were you would know its not about "making a point", its about self defense, and defending your loved ones.

So again Go Home Troll!

ETA:

Check out the rules of the site before you start trolling in it!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Last edited:

Slave

I'm cool if you're cool :dude::dude:

Bronson

It's all <3 man :)

I know my mouth and my opinions annoy people around here. I know my views on race and politics also annoy some people.

All you guys need to understand, we can fight here, but in public, I will stand hand in hand to support all of you, well, except for Beerme, but he is an *******.

Quaamik

It doesn't matter what was carried, or how it was carried - the anti's were going to try to restrict both open carry and concealed carry. It's just the next fight in the war.

That being said, OC of a long gun is a public relations fiasco. Since we cannot stop people from doing it, and cannot even stop them from doing it in a way intended to inflame the debate, we HAVE to find a way to rephrase the discussion and to educate the public.

A couple of things to think of:
- OC of a long gun is seldom the best choice for personal protection. For all practical purposes, the average person won't even recognize it as a viable choice for personal defense outside of certain exotic circumstances.
- OC of a long gun is likely to make the average person very nervous.
- The arguement that the person is not old enough to buy a pistol, or has been denied a purchase permit, is not likely to win freinds. It's much more likely to give anti's (or even non-gun people) one more reason why they shouldn't be allowed to be carried.

That being undersood, I think the way to direct the conversation is to ask those up in arms about such an instance if anyone was hurt? Then continue to press in that direction to make them articulate some injury other than "it made me nervous".

There are other ways to re-direct the conversation. This one just appeals to me. The important thing is to enge people when they bring it up even if you don't think you can convince them. You may convince someone who is listening.

Quaamik

BTW, before anyone throws this back at me:

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Considering the situation that happened and the restraining order, I respectfully submit that discussing how to handle the public relations resulting from OC of a long gun is not and should not be off topic.

1) MI laws allow CC and OC of long guns that are classified as "Michigan Pistols".
2) The same MI laws that are silent on OC of a handgun are the ones silent on OC of a long gun.
3) Since OC of a long gun is likely to garner negative public reaction, and can be done without a CPL or any personal risk of jail time, it's an easy way for anti's to inflame the debate against OC in general.

So we better be prepared to defend it, or at least deflect public animosity away when it comes up. Prefferably without throwing those who choose to under the bus.