• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle transport

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
He insisted that I was supposed to declare,I argued that I didn't feel I needed to if it was not on my person and I wasn't even ON the bike at this time.
I was still in a state of shock at that point after just hitting a car at 45mph, I was a little banged up and disoriented.
He was on his phone back and fourth with the Prosecutor for about 30 minutes after the Fire trucks and Ambulances left.

He then told me that he was right and could confiscate my Gun if he felt like it, but was just going to write me 3 tickets instead.
It was an unusually hot 100+ degree day out that day. And buy the time I got home 70 mles away, My 2yr old French Bulldog was going into a Heat stroke
And died in my arms. It was a messesd up day.
It's situations like yours, that caused one of the instructors for my CPL course to advise us to always tell LEOs you have a CPL, even if you're not packing. Because some (read most) think you're supposed to divulge anyway. I've heard horror stories of close relatives, driving vehicles registered to a CPL holding relative, and getting screamed at because they didn't divulge they had CPL. When my sister borrowed my car one time, I told her, if she gets pulled over, to immediately advise the LEO that it's the owner of the car who has a CPL, not her.

Now, most of you don't know me all that well, so I will tell you that I generally carry, 99.99% of the time. In the 2 weeks before I finally went to the hospital, I was feeling so bad, I did not pack for most of that time, as I was so week, I was afraid I might pass out somewhere, and someone might steal my pistol.

I was stopped one time, and purely out of habit, I handed over my CPL with the rest of my "papers." When the officer asked where my gun was, I told him, it's at home. He just said ok, called in my info, gave everything back and advised me to slow down.

Thing is, even if my gun had been unloaded and locked in the trunk, I'd have still shown my CPL. If for no other reason, mostly out of habit. I find I avoid most confrontations that way. I know some of you will disagree with me, that's fine. To each, his or her own. Now, if I'm out walking, OCing, and a cop pulls up and asks for ID, I might give him an argument, providing I'm just out for a walk, and not on my way some place that I need to be at soon. But, that's just my opinion. Everyone has to make their own choices, and pick their battles.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The younger ones got brainwashed by the older ones. :uhoh:
Most of the older ones I've come across are relatively less brainwashed than the younger ones I've run into.....except for this one young female motorcycle cop in East Lansing. She can pull me over any time. ;)

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I usually don't say anything, I just hand over everything with my CPL on top.

Q: If I get pulled over by the police while I am lawfully carrying a concealed pistol, is it considered sufficient notice to hand over my Concealed Pistol License (CPL) with my Driver’s License?

A: Maybe not.

MCL 28.425f(3) states: “An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.” The penalty for a first offense includes a $100 fine, and a CPL suspension of up to six months.

In one case, the driver handed his CPL over to the officer who stopped him. He did this because he had been told by a reliable source (an experienced police officer from another jurisdiction) that it is considered dangerous to use the word “gun” when talking to an officer on the road side since officers yell, “Gun!” to one another when a dangerous person displays a firearm. The driver was ticketed for the non-disclosure. In subsequent trial, the dashboard video camera record showed that it was approximately 40 seconds after the officer arrived at the driver’s window that the driver verbally disclosed his concealed pistol.

The court found that the simple act of handing over the CPL was not adequate disclosure and that the 40-second delay before verbally disclosing was not “immediate disclosure.”

So, the only safe course of action if you are pulled over is to make your disclosure as soon as the officer gets up to the window. In order to try to avoid what police officers often refer to as “a heightened sense of awareness.” (their way of saying that they are alarmed or frightened,) you should maintain a calm tone of voice and demeanor and simply tell the officer that you have a valid Concealed Pistol License and that you are carrying. You do not have to use the word “gun.”

Note that the statute does not require you disclose when you have a CPL and are NOT carrying. However, some officers will be alerted to the fact that you have a CPL before they approach your car. You may want to have a brief conversation with the officer even on days when you are not carrying, simply to avoid any confusion or misapprehension.
Note also that it is a good idea to avoid rummaging around in your passenger compartment as the officer is walking up to your vehicle. If it is dark out, turn on your interior lights, turn off your car stereo and keep your hands in plain sight on the wheel until the officer establishes contact. Remember that the police have dangerous job and your interaction will go more smoothly if you show that you are not a threat to the officer’s safety.

Steve Dulan (www.StevenWDulan.com) is a member of the Board of Directors of the MCRGO and the MCRGO Foundation, and a member of the Board of Trustees of the MCRGO Foundation. He is an attorney in private practice in East Lansing and Adjunct Professor of firearms law at The Thomas M. Cooley Law School. as well as an NRA Life Member.

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2011/08/01/...-my-cpl-card-stopped-by-police/#ixzz27RTmkqzW

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
\
Note also that it is a good idea to avoid rummaging around in your passenger compartment as the officer is walking up to your vehicle.

Bouncing off that part of your post. I once got a seatbelt ticket erroneously, because I unbuckled to retrieve my papers from my wallet before the cop got to my window. I was wearing one, I always do.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Q: If I get pulled over by the police while I am lawfully carrying a concealed pistol, is it considered sufficient notice to hand over my Concealed Pistol License (CPL) with my Driver’s License?

A: Maybe not.

MCL 28.425f(3) states: “An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.” The penalty for a first offense includes a $100 fine, and a CPL suspension of up to six months.
All I can say for my part, it's always been more than enough for the ones who stopped me. Since I always put my CPL on top, their first question has always been, "Are you armed now?" Or words to that effect. Of course, lately, most of the time I've been stopped, it was by MSP, and I've found them to be much more reasonable than some local PDs, with the notable exception of Leslie PD. :)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
All I can say for my part, it's always been more than enough for the ones who stopped me. Since I always put my CPL on top, their first question has always been, "Are you armed now?" Or words to that effect. Of course, lately, most of the time I've been stopped, it was by MSP, and I've found them to be much more reasonable than some local PDs, with the notable exception of Leslie PD. :)

No criticism intended, rather a "caution".

alphamale

Once again you are correct.

Stainless has too much a cop hate issue I thinks. No stainless it is usually the older ones who are not all a$$ kissing and wanting to make a name for themselves and fix the world according to how they see things and not the laws. We seen them come through the academies with that I know better than anyone attitudes, and the I will fix everything mentality and have almost no knowledge of the Constitution and laws, and have the feeling they are above everyone else. It is sad, yet this is true in most cases. Over time they either learn the right way, or the hard way and cost the city millions. As most people know the older cops know they are just garbage men, and there to clean up after others. Sure there are exceptions to every rule, but as Al said is how it is.

Remember, most of the younger ones have been brain washed. It takes a while for that to go away. But I've found it usually does, sooner or later. The ones that it doesn't go away from, usually end up as chief of police. :)