• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from VA to DC. Firearm storage in VA?

XD Owner

imported post

Check out Victory Van. They have very new warehouses out near Dulles Airport.

http://www.victoryvan.com/northern-virginia-moving.aspx

A lot of USG folks overseas have their stuff stored there. Not sure how it would work if you wanted to take them out for a few hours and put them back 2-3 times a year. Ask how much they charge to access your guns. Their "controlled" storage facility is probably more for long-term storage.

Their facility is very secure on the other hand.

Anyone here use Moisture Guard Remoil, with a plastic bag and those VCI emitters in the gun's chamber?

Frankel

imported post

user wrote:
First piece of advice: stay here in civilization - the District of Washington is a third-world country; a place without a reliable legal system and thus without law; a place where personal power matters more than anything else; and a place where everyone is treated by the government as an outlaw. Don't go there.

Second: it's perfectly ok to own guns wherever you live - the restrictions are all against possession. And it's perfectly legal to store your guns in Virginia, as long as the person holding them for you is himself eligible to be in possession of the firearms.

Third: don't use lithium grease - metals like molybdenum and lithium cause bad chemical reactions with metal parts on the guns. Ordinary petroleum jelly would work just fine, since all you want is a long-lasting vapor barrier against moisture and oxygen. Btw, all petrochemicals will evaporate over time with exposure to the atmosphere, it's just a question of how long. Put the grease-covered gun in a polyethylene "freezer" bag, and it'll be safe for probably thirty years or so. If you want to be really safe, buy a bunch of paraffin, melt it in a pan, dunk the whole gun to exclude air, then pour the stuff all over the gun encapsulating it entirely in wax. Sort of like Han Soloin carbonite. Or home-made jelly. Same principle.
Agreed, I have the same understanding on ownership vs. possession so I'm not worried there.

I've never done long term storage before. Thanks for the info on lithium grease. I like the idea of the "Han Solo" technique for truly sealing everything off from the elements.