• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Illinois

Gunslinger

The new Chicago ordinance (https://portal.chicagopolice.org/po...n-registration-20B-with-offender-registry.pdf) reads in part:

"It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18USCA para 926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter."

which, based on the rest of the ordinance, I read to mean it is unlawful for a nonresident to possess a handgun for more than 24 hours in the city. Violations carry penalties of fines of not less than $1000 nor more than $5000, jail not less than 20 days, nor more than 90. Hotels are specifically excluded from the definition of "home" used in the law, so the exception ("except when in the person's home") won't help.

We're making progress for those of us who are residents, but things are no better (actually worse, with more serious penalties) for nonresidents... IANAL, but it looks like there is no legal way for the OP to possess (and of course not to carry) a handgun in the city for more than 1 day.
The incredible arrogance of that piece of **** daley and his machine ward heelers. "Whereas" they are all moronic a-holes as shown by their "document." Telling the Congress what it must do to be in lockstep with f-head daley. His old man was a crooked, ignorant farce. He's worse. IL used to be a decent place to live. I was born and raised there. Now it's a **** hole. I'd rather live in the PDR of Taxachusetts anyday.

Last edited:

19Daniel91

Yeah, I've lived in Illinois my entire life and am not proud of it one bit. I wish that this state would come up with a decent form of open or concealed carry, but I personally don't see it happening. It seems like everyone I meet in the area is afraid of firearms and wants them all banned.

This is why I'm moving.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Yeah, I've lived in Illinois my entire life and am not proud of it one bit. I wish that this state would come up with a decent form of open or concealed carry, but I personally don't see it happening. It seems like everyone I meet in the area is afraid of firearms and wants them all banned.

This is why I'm moving.
See where you're from. I went to Lake Park HS many years ago.

19Daniel91

See where you're from. I went to Lake Park HS many years ago.

I went to Lake Park East for Driver's Ed a few years back, had a couple friends who went there regularly.

But back on topic, and I really hate to disappoint the original poster as he's probably already here, but I've just run out of sympathy for this sorry excuse of a state :mad: little rights, high taxes and ignorant people (And too many). All I can say is I hope your job was worth the move.

amzbrady

I was born and raised there. I couldnt wait to get out of that children of the corn state. I love the state I have now found to call home. Ocean, mountians, dessert, everything in one state, and you can legally open carry, and get a CPL to legally CC. Maybe things will get better since Crapbama, has taken on screwing up the whole United States all at once, instead of just doing Illinois by itself.

Heathermarie

Need help and dont know how to start new thread lol

So some friends and I have been having a discussion and having done research we are not finding an answer. Wondering if yall can help..
Ok so question is: If I am moving from Michigan to IL after January and I have a CCW (for MI)...is there a way I can do the IL training and apply for the CWP for IL or do I first have to get a FOID.?? May I remind u this is after January. ....And if I establish residency with IL before I take the class will that void my MI ccw and ill have to start all over (as in getting a Foid first before taking the class?) Help?!? ;)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hello all. i will be moving down to Illinois here in a few weeks ..... Soon I will also be changing my permanent residence back to Michigan (my real home), .... as a Michigan resident .

Your residency will be in Illinois if you live there. Unfortunately, you get to pick your state of residence by where you live, not where you want your residency to be.

So all this talk about your MI permit is moot. Go get a IL permit. Your MI permit will be void.

Unless you are talking about a temporary move for your work to Illinois...whereby you'll be moving back to MI in the very near future. The original post is not very clear as to the time the OP will be spending in IL .. but the verbiage of "moving down to Illinois" indicates a long stay is anticipated.

enjoy the summers ... hot sweltering heat there.

SteveInCO

You realize the post you replied to was from 2 and a half years ago, right? I suspect the OP has other things on his mind than checking this thread, where ever he is... :rolleyes:

Sure but Heather Marie's question was of considerably more recent vintage. As in 1 AM today. In other words, he's not the one who necroed the thread, even if he quoted a very old post. His answer applies to her as well.

Last edited:

junglebob

So some friends and I have been having a discussion and having done research we are not finding an answer. Wondering if yall can help..
Ok so question is: If I am moving from Michigan to IL after January and I have a CCW (for MI)...is there a way I can do the IL training and apply for the CWP for IL or do I first have to get a FOID.?? May I remind u this is after January. ....And if I establish residency with IL before I take the class will that void my MI ccw and ill have to start all over (as in getting a Foid first before taking the class?) Help?!? ;)

I don't think there is any requirement to be an Illinois resident to just take the class, I know a FOID card isn't required which you need to be an Illinois resident to get. You could take the class and then apply for the FOID at the same time as you apply for the CCW. You need a state ID or Drivers License to get the FOID card.

RANDYT

The law says you can apply for a FOID at the same time as the FCCL, but unless we can gets the proposed rules changes. It will require you have the FOID, before applying for the FCCL