• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSP Traffic stop; smooth, uneventful, cordial.

PavePusher

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
I've only had one interaction with the New Mexico State Police. It might as well have been a robot: "License and registration, please. I pulled you over for driving 93 in a (whatever the limit was - 70? 75?)." Went to his car, came back a short time later, handed me the papers, and "Sign here."

No, "Welcome to New Mexico, where you going in such a hurry, slow down, make our roads safer, have a nice trip, nothing." Just one ticket for every mph he could squeeze in there, and no conversation.

MSP have always been courteous and professional, and always seem more like they're interested in safety on the roads than revenue generation. I've never received that impression in any of the other states where I've been cited.
Hmm. You state that you were doing either 18 or 23 mph over the limit, and imply that the officer wasn't courteous/obsequious enough and was more interested in revenue than safety? What were the conditions? Were you on I-40 on a Sunday afternoon with 5 miles of visibility in any direction and no other traffic? Or on atwo-lanesuburban road during rush hour? Either way,it seemsthat you were blatantlydriving illegally, and areunhappy that you didn't get away with it.As you have described the situation, I don't think the officer had any obligation to express his joy at meeting new people... although he really should have stated "(Please) slow down, make our roads safer". Just playingBeelzebub's Advocate here.;)