• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAA Police and Regan National Airport..

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Ed, was this an illegal stop for VA? I thought certain stops were deemed constitutional by SCOTUS. I seem (little foggy here) to remember being asked for my DL and registration last time I was stopped at a roadside checkpoint.
Not sure.. it says VSP which would be my guess that it was VA. I did not have alot of time when I posted it.. so I did not post my reasons for posting it. I really wanted to say I am glad Joe was not arrested. It looks like this woman knew her stuff... she was concise and polite and apparently even had a recorder on her. Maybe her showing her DL would have stopped the whole thing... but at midnight, with no recorder in an airport parking lot, I am saying it could have been worse for Joe. I am eager to learn ALL the details of the stop and the outcome.
Reading the webpages about this incident SCOTUS said the state had a compelling interest in stopping drunk driving so check points for this was allowable under the 4th. But I would assume the stop could only be used for this purpose only, which there is no need for ID in that case (unless you were DUI of course).

Don't know either, very interesting. I'll have to search some more.

CharlesC

imported post

I'm not sure, but if you are operating a motor vehicle, can't the police ask to see your "operator" license? Meaning your driver's license? Do they have to have a reason to find out if you are licensed to drive?

I know I'm splitting hairs here but thats the way I would expect LE or the Gov't to look at it.

I think the recorder is silly. I know people who do that and I'm not sure what it would do. Unless it is very well hidden, the police could just destroy it. In the case of the video, they went all over that car, even reading her papers. That made no sense at all.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

CharlesC wrote:
I'm not sure, but if you are operating a motor vehicle, can't the police ask to see your "operator" license? Meaning your driver's license? Do they have to have a reason to find out if you are licensed to drive?
I think so. I also think that it might be a requirement for an airport employee to show ID for any reason on airport property when asked.. part of the badge application process that says you will show ID to authorities when challenged on airport property and not just in the SIDA (Secure Identification Area). This applies to both airside and landside.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

CharlesC wrote:

I know I'm splitting hairs here but thats the way I would expect LE or the Gov't to look at it.

I think the recorder is silly. I know people who do that and I'm not sure what it would do. Unless it is very well hidden, the police could just destroy it. In the case of the video, they went all over that car, even reading her papers. That made no sense at all.

I respectfully have to disagree with you on this point. I believe it can make a big difference, especially when the standard of a criminal trial in reaching a guilty verdict is that thepreponderanceof the evidence against the defendant is beyond a reasonable doubt. The recorder (especially the ones that records and sends the recording to another device) can (along with video) reach that standard easily since it is very hard to dispute that type of evidence. It can be the difference of walking free, or, being sent to the pokey so that Bubba can get to know you!!:what:

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

paramedic70002

imported post

I think they can ask you for your Driver's License. What the Trooper wanted to know was 'who she was' which in and of itself is a bit ominous in our supposed free society.

NEW WORLD ORDER! NEW WORLD ORDER! NEW WORLD ORDER! NEW WORLD ORDER!

Come and get me DHS!

Spectre

imported post

ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Ed, was this an illegal stop for VA?  I thought certain stops were deemed constitutional by SCOTUS.  I seem (little foggy here) to remember being asked for my DL and registration last time I was stopped at a roadside checkpoint.
Not sure..  it says VSP which would be my guess that it was VA.  I did not have alot of time when I posted it..  so I did not post my reasons for posting it.  I really wanted to say I am glad Joe was not arrested.  It looks like this woman knew her stuff... she was concise and polite and apparently even had a recorder on her. Maybe her showing her DL would have stopped the whole thing... but at midnight, with no recorder in an airport parking lot, I am saying it could have been worse for Joe.  I am eager to learn ALL the details of the stop and the outcome.

Yeah they are Virginia Staties, you can see the VSP patches on their arms. Although it looks like they are wearing the older "Sheriff" style covers, instead of the newer "Campaign" style covers so I'm not sure how old that video is.