• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call about me today

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

gmijackso wrote:
Rewarding mediocrity is a poor choice in all aspects in life.
You have obviously never been a parent of young children. A parent learns to praise such things as making it all the way to the toilet or eating applesauce without wearing most of it.

Or how about when you were being taught to shoot, and were praised for actually hitting the target instead of a clean miss? Did your instructor say "That was mediocre!"

What you're missing is that the deputy chose a path of action which WENT AGAINST HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS rather than another which was equally legitimate under the law and the policy of just about every agency in the state. Next time -- for instance, when YOU are the subject of the call -- he will again have to make that choice.

If he thinks fondly about the previous time, when he was rewarded for Choice A, he is more likely to follow the same path again. He may even move a little closer to our side, thinking "Gee, some of those guys with guns are actually on MY side!"

OR . . .he could think "It doesn't matter if I'm nice or not, you just can't please these people, so I might as well run right up against the edge of the law."

You're the guy he's looking at. How do YOU want him to play this . . ?

DVC

imported post

gmijackso wrote:
So I fully expect that either the cop just assumed, or dispatch told him it was an employee. Probably a fairly small chance that the girl claimed to be an employee.
When you hear MWAG, you think of a pistol, not a pack howitzer. By the same token, a MWAG call usually comes from the store employees.

Little Miss Hoplophobe probably talked to a calltaker, and may not have said she was an employee, but the calltaker would assume it, as would the dispatcher and the deputy.

ATTN: OP -- Getting the tape is a REALLY good idea. If she DID make the claim, you can really make her regret being a snot. Especially if you can get her -- in front of her friends -- to say that she didn't say anything about it, then you play the recording for all to hear her lie.

gmijackso

imported post

DVC wrote:
You have obviously never been a parent of young children.  A parent learns to praise such things as making it all the way to the toilet or eating applesauce without wearing most of it.

Or how about when you were being taught to shoot, and were praised for actually hitting the target instead of a clean miss?  Did your instructor say "That was mediocre!"

What you're missing is that the deputy chose a path of action which WENT AGAINST HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS rather than another which was equally legitimate under the law and the policy of just about every agency in the state.  Next time -- for instance, when YOU are the subject of the call -- he will again have to make that choice.

If he thinks fondly about the previous time, when he was rewarded for Choice A, he is more likely to follow the same path again.  He may even move a little closer to our side, thinking "Gee, some of those guys with guns are actually on MY side!"

OR . . .he could think "It doesn't matter if I'm nice or not, you just can't please these people, so I might as well run right up against the edge of the law."

You're the guy he's looking at.  How do YOU want him to play this . . ?

The officer is not a small child, nor is he a cadet learning to do the basics of his job. He is an officer, and should be held to the highest standard at all times, and thus deserves not to be rewarded for mediocrity.

I totally understand that he went against his personal feelings. Good for him for abiding by the laws he swore to uphold. What you appear to be overlooking is that his personal feelings are unlawful. Consider if this were a race based action. If the officer had treated somebody equally even though they were a race that he "doesn't like" then openly admitted such, would you still be willing to give a pat on the back because he treated a member of the "less liked race" with the respect they deserved all along? Doubtful.

If I were the subject of the call, I would have acted differently, and inevitably the call would have taken a different course, how it would have ended is anybodies guess.

In my mind, he didn't go "above and beyond" and that is the measure for getting a reward. Setting aside your personal feelings does not constitute "above and beyond" because it is a requirement of the job. He did the bare essentials to complete his job. He upheld the laws he was sworn to enforce, but also did so while trying to prosecute the OP for any violation he could muster. Not reward-able in my estimation. In fact, he was apparently unable to teach the girl. If he had been able to teach her, and convince her, and possibly prevent her from doing this again, then perhaps he had gone "above and beyond" but as it stands, nothing extraordinary was accomplished.

DVC

imported post

gmijackso wrote:
DVC wrote:
You have obviously never been a parent of young children. A parent learns to praise such things as making it all the way to the toilet or eating applesauce without wearing most of it.

Or how about when you were being taught to shoot, and were praised for actually hitting the target instead of a clean miss? Did your instructor say "That was mediocre!"

The officer is not a small child, nor is he a cadet learning to do the basics of his job. He is an officer, and should be held to the highest standard at all times, and thus deserves not to be rewarded for mediocrity.
I give up. You refuse to accept my point.

PLEASE don't be the guy a cop deals with just before he makes contact with me.

hellstorm702

imported post

The girl clearly wanted to step up on her soap box and display a rediculous attitude in public ..hence drama queen. She obviously was of the spoiled type because she didn't "get her way" in that situation, poor her if she goes through life in this manner, and who the hell does she think she is approaching people like that to begin with???

Korben88

imported post

I for one think that if you feel the officer did a good job and deserves kudos they should be given. Showing a little gratitude to the men and women in blue can't do anything but help our cause.

paintsnow

imported post

I spoke to a friend of mine who works for metro, and judging from the range of the responding officers badge number, hes been with LVMPD for about 8 years.

Also, there are some people you simply cannot teach. He spoke to her to tell her it was legal, and she refused to listen to him, stating that he was wrong. She then went online after the incident, and apparently found out that a license is required, and was complaining to her friends that the cop was incorrect and that i should have been arrested. I dont understand how she can call herself a Republican. Lol

flagellum

imported post

From what I read, I wouldn't fault anyone except little miss Princess. Maybe this is one more step to finding out that the world doesn't revolve around her.

paintsnow

imported post

Damn, I really wish it was legal to carry in schools. I would go visit my gov teacher right when she has him for class. Oh well.

PavePusher

imported post

paintsnow wrote:
DVC wrote:
gmijackso wrote:
I don't know that he has done anything worthy of a pat on the back.
He suppressed his personal opinion, did his job, and was friendly to a guy he thinks shouldn't have been armed.

In other words: "I don't like what you are doing, but I am here to defend your right to do it."

THAT is DEFINITELY worth a pat on the back.
Exactly!

He stood up for me, and was very friendly the whole time he was handling the call. If i had to, i would have guessed he was all for carrying and supported it. It wasnt until later outside when i joined in on the conversation he was having with the other guy about guns, and the laws in general when he made that comment. Even then he said he didnt have a problem with law abiding citizens carrying, he just didnt understand the law. I think it was from the brainwashing he received growing up in NY.

I was having a hard time finding a good way of putting it, thanks DVC

Not to mention he's starting from a handicapped position, being from New York... :lol:

Sounds like he might actually be on the fence about the whole idea, and some calm education and reason might tip him in our direction...food for thought, anyway.

Phoenix David

imported post

Anvil wrote:
Well the very first thing I want to comment on is how well the story was written, I was able to understand the situation without trying to figure out what girl was who and what girl didn't like guns.
Good for you being calm throughout.

I just recently came back from Las Vegas, and as hard as I looked, I could not find a single person open carrying.

Nice job

I recently got back from Pahrump NV which is like 45 miles away and I must have run into 500 people OC'ing that weekend. ;)

MK

imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
gmijackso wrote:
I don't know that he has done anything worthy of a pat on the back. He asked you for information you weren't required to give, nor he required to ask, twice. He also felt obliged to inform you of his opinion of law while on duty, which if I recall properly from a previous thread, is a violation of policy.

All in all, he came, and he did his job, somewhat half-assed-ly in my opinion, and that to me isn't something worthy of recognition and especially not praise.
This. Exactly. He gets a pat on the back from the boys back in the station, but not us. He did his fishing like a good cop does, not like one who obeys the oath he took.

I like the detailed lengthy way the OP portrayed his experience. I like getting as many details as possible so I can paint a picture of what's happening as well as his thoughts in regards to the event as it unfolds before him or in retrospect.

I find myself feeling like I should thank an officer just because he wasn't being a total dick about something. Now if they chose not to give me a speeding ticket when I was speeding, or rescued my wife from a burning car, thanks are most definitely in order from me personally.

Its like, they did us a favor by not using their authority to abuse us. Its not wrong but iskind of odd when you think of it that way. I've caught myself thanking police like this out of habit of trying to be polite.

I am also not saying that this young man didn't have any legitimate reasons to thank the officer either. The fact that the officer explained to the uptight girl, that she was wrong, might be worthy of a thanking.

28kfps

imported post

This is all good stuff. The young man that wrote it up and had the encounter did a great job. I am going to assume that he has done some research and reading on sites such as opencarry.org. He was prepared to handle the issue and stand his legal ground while at the same time making on-the-spot decisions on a constant changing situation which help the issue from escalating. Way to go kid. (I can say that I have a 27-year-old son). I would venture to say that many adults would not have come close to doing as well. I hope all young and new to open carry are as prepared at this young man.

Joe Bullet

imported post

gmijackso wrote:
DVC wrote:

What you're missing is that the deputy chose a path of action which WENT AGAINST HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS rather than another which was equally legitimate under the law and the policy of just about every agency in the state. Next time -- for instance, when YOU are the subject of the call -- he will again have to make that choice.

If he thinks fondly about the previous time, when he was rewarded for Choice A, he is more likely to follow the same path again. He may even move a little closer to our side, thinking "Gee, some of those guys with guns are actually on MY side!"

You're the guy he's looking at. How do YOU want him to play this . . ?

I totally understand that he went against his personal feelings. Good for him for abiding by the laws he swore to uphold. What you appear to be overlooking is that his personal feelings are unlawful. Consider if this were a race based action. If the officer had treated somebody equally even though they were a race that he "doesn't like" then openly admitted such, would you still be willing to give a pat on the back because he treated a member of the "less liked race" with the respect they deserved all along? Doubtful.

If I were the subject of the call, I would have acted differently, and inevitably the call would have taken a different course, how it would have ended is anybodies guess.

In my mind, he didn't go "above and beyond" and that is the measure for getting a reward. Setting aside your personal feelings does not constitute "above and beyond" because it is a requirement of the job. He did the bare essentials to complete his job. He upheld the laws he was sworn to enforce, but also did so while trying to prosecute the OP for any violation he could muster. Not reward-able in my estimation. In fact, he was apparently unable to teach the girl. If he had been able to teach her, and convince her, and possibly prevent her from doing this again, then perhaps he had gone "above and beyond" but as it stands, nothing extraordinary was accomplished.
Well said Sir........well said.

YoZUpZ

imported post

paintsnow wrote:
Damn, I really wish it was legal to carry in schools. I would go visit my gov teacher right when she has him for class. Oh well.
You can always move next door (Utah)... Its nice being able to go to class every day packing :celebrate