• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first open carry today.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Okay. Good luck with that.

Let me pose this question....

Let's say thatI tell someone its ok to carry at VCU and then someone convinces them that they cant. So now, they dont carry and find themselves in a situation where they get hurt or killed.

Wouldnt they be in more jeopardy by not carrying than carrying, when both arguments appear equal on the face? At least they'd be safe in police custody in my case. The other argument finds them dead.

Now, aside from the hypothetical scenario, I can't see how anyone interprets the statute differently. Its appears to be crystal clear to me, but to each his own.

If you dont like my interpretation, dont follow it.

67GT390FB

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Okay. Good luck with that.

Let me pose this question....

Let's say thatI tell someone its ok to carry at VCU and then someone convinces them that they cant. So now, they dont carry and find themselves in a situation where they get hurt or killed.

Wouldnt they be in more jeopardy by not carrying than carrying, when both arguments appear equal on the face? At least they'd be safe in police custody in my case. The other argument finds them dead.

Now, aside from the hypothetical scenario, I can't see how anyone interprets the statute differently. Its appears to be crystal clear to me, but to each his own.

If you dont like my interpretation, dont follow it.

from what i have read no one is saying not to carry. they have merely been telling folks to be aware of the conflicting interpretations of that specific part of VAC. the choice of whether to carry or not is one that should be based on the most info possible. as always like the speed limit it is up to the individual whether or not to follow it.

I would rather be aware of VCU Police's interpretation(whether lawful or not)ahead of time than be told it is AOK and walk headfirst into a potential cluster.....

Making an informed decision is best.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
from what i have read no one is saying not to carry. they have merely been telling folks to be aware of the conflicting interpretations of that specific part of VAC. the choice of whether to carry or not is one that should be based on the most info possible. as always like the speed limit it is up to the individual whether or not to follow it.

I would rather be aware of VCU Police's interpretation(whether lawful or not)ahead of time than be told it is AOK and walk headfirst into a potential cluster.....

Making an informed decision is best.

Agreed.

Conversely, I am not telling anyone to carry. Imerely added what I felt the interpretation of the law was, the same way that some interpreted the law to the contrary.