• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My lease will not be renewed???

since9

Campaign Veteran
It sucks to be put out of what you consider your home, but again it's the nature of apartment living. You can get a U-Haul and some buddies to help move I would think for a lot less than "several thousand" dollars.

It would take a full-sized moving company with four or five workers three full days to pack and move. Twenty years of owning homes tends to accumulate a lot of furniture, but it mainly accumulates a lot of junk - enough to fill a full-sized two bedroom apartment AND a full-sized one-car garage.

I'm going through it now, but it's slow going. It'll take me much longer than two months, especially while working!

rpyne

I found one such law, here. Having said that, however, if they choose not to renew my lease, then I suspect my status as of the expiration of my current lease would change from "tenant" to "squatter."

Nevertheless, I know that in North Carolina (where I was a landlord), a landlord cannot arbitrarily refuse to renew the lease of a tenant without cause then turn around and re-rent the unit to someone else. Most states have similar laws protecting to protect tenants, provided they remain qualified tenants.

I'm trying to find the law in Colorado which governs tenants' rights against such arbitrary and capricious action.

I am a qualified tenant. I keep the place neat and clean, pay my rent on time, and do not violate any provisions of the lease.

I find it interesting that you would support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, yet argue against a property owners right to control his own property. The right to own AND CONTROL property is one of the foundations of a free society.

Aknazer

I find it interesting that you would support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, yet argue against a property owners right to control his own property. The right to own AND CONTROL property is one of the foundations of a free society.

It's more than "property owner rights." It's the fact that he feels that he is being discriminated against (possibly due to OCing); or barring that then something shady is going on. If he had been breaking the rules of his lease, making late payments, having the cops called on him, etc that would be one thing. But none of that has happened and so Since9 is naturally looking for any legal recourse to stop what appears to be a shady canceling of his lease. And as he last said, should they choose to not rent to him the next question is, why? And that answer can very easily lead into some type of discrimination which has the potential to be illegal.

I mean what type of reasoning would they give him if he were to try and rent a different apartment in the same complex (should one be open)? And should they say no even though he is a fully qualified renter then he might have legal recourse.

Oh and let me say IAMNAL (can't bring myself to say I ANAL...)

zach

It would take a full-sized moving company with four or five workers three full days to pack and move. Twenty years of owning homes tends to accumulate a lot of furniture, but it mainly accumulates a lot of junk - enough to fill a full-sized two bedroom apartment AND a full-sized one-car garage.

I'm going through it now, but it's slow going. It'll take me much longer than two months, especially while working!
Seriously? I think I could move my 4 bedroom house faster. Maybe take a break from OCDO to help speed the process. This is slightly tongue in cheek, but seriously 2 months seems like a slight exaggeration.

Oh, I don't know what CO Law is but my wife is a property manager for apartments in CA and she can gave ANYONE a 30 day notice without reason to vacate the unit in which they are renting.

Maybe I've missed this, but have you read the lease you signed to see what their verbage is regarding notices to vacate?

rpyne

It's more than "property owner rights." It's the fact that he feels that he is being discriminated against (possibly due to OCing); or barring that then something shady is going on. If he had been breaking the rules of his lease, making late payments, having the cops called on him, etc that would be one thing. But none of that has happened and so Since9 is naturally looking for any legal recourse to stop what appears to be a shady canceling of his lease. And as he last said, should they choose to not rent to him the next question is, why? And that answer can very easily lead into some type of discrimination which has the potential to be illegal.

I mean what type of reasoning would they give him if he were to try and rent a different apartment in the same complex (should one be open)? And should they say no even though he is a fully qualified renter then he might have legal recourse.

Oh and let me say IAMNAL (can't bring myself to say I ANAL...)

It is precisely property owner rights. The owner of private property has every right to choose who they have on their property for any reason or no reason at all. The idea that private discrimination is impermissible is a blatant violation of both the right to control private property and the right of association.

Don't get me wrong, I do not support discrimination, but creating laws that give special status to any group, which is exactly what anti-discrimination laws do, violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Seriously? I think I could move my 4 bedroom house faster. Maybe take a break from OCDO to help speed the process. This is slightly tongue in cheek, but seriously 2 months seems like a slight exaggeration.

It's not so much the furniture as it's the dozens of boxes of accumulated stuff, all of which must be gone through. I could simply have an estate sale, but much of the stuff still belongs to my ex. Tons of pics and papers. Can't throw them away.

I don't know what CO Law is but my wife is a property manager for apartments in CA and she can gave ANYONE a 30 day notice without reason to vacate the unit in which they are renting.

Having been a landlord for three properties in two separate states, I don't want to hamstring a landlord from being able to remove an undesirable tenant. As a tenant, however, and a good one, I'm feeling mighty unappreciated at being tossed out on the streets.

Maybe I've missed this, but have you read the lease you signed to see what their verbage is regarding notices to vacate?

Yes. I'm out of luck. Unfortunately, rights here in Colorado are very disproportionately weighted in favor of the landlord. Apartment renters have very few rights.

There's always freedom of speech...

since9

Campaign Veteran

I mean what type of reasoning would they give him if he were to try and rent a different apartment in the same complex (should one be open)?

Thanks. You get it. :) No reason was given, and that's the major issue. I can address a legitimate complaint. Discrimination against a law-abiding activity is not a legitimate complaint.

And no, I've not violated any provisions of the lease.

OldCurlyWolf

It's not so much the furniture as it's the dozens of boxes of accumulated stuff, all of which must be gone through. I could simply have an estate sale, but much of the stuff still belongs to my ex. Tons of pics and papers. Can't throw them away.

Having been a landlord for three properties in two separate states, I don't want to hamstring a landlord from being able to remove an undesirable tenant. As a tenant, however, and a good one, I'm feeling mighty unappreciated at being tossed out on the streets.

Yes. I'm out of luck. Unfortunately, rights here in Colorado are very disproportionately weighted in favor of the landlord. Apartment renters have very few rights.

There's always freedom of speech...

Time to tell the ex to pick it up or lose it. I know it sounds cold hearted. Sometimes necessity demands such stands.

On the notice to vacate. You might have a chat with a bunch of your neighbors. If this can be done to you, it can be done to them.

:cool:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Time to tell the ex to pick it up or lose it. I know it sounds cold hearted. Sometimes necessity demands such stands.

Yep.

On the notice to vacate. You might have a chat with a bunch of your neighbors. If this can be done to you, it can be done to them.

It has been done to them. Being the upstanding citizen that I am, with 18 spotless years as a renter, I never imagined it ever would, or even could, happen to me.

mahkagari

Did you ever confirm it was about OCing? Did you take the last bag of cheezy poofs at the corner store or something maybe?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Did you ever confirm it was about OCing?

By both the process of elimination, as well as what wasn't said in conversations and interactions with the manager and the area (Colorado Springs) VP.

Did you take the last bag of cheezy poofs at the corner store or something maybe?

:lol: Perhaps getting coffee at the free coffee bar in the clubhouse/office more often than once a week made too much of an impact on their bottom line!