• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My new S&W 637 died after 3 rounds :(

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...My question is has anyone here ever experienced a failure similar to what happened to me, S&W or any other model of revolver? What the heck could have happened?...

You should read my thread on Nevada Shooters about my S&W 347PD AirLite. It's been six months, and I'm still waiting for the replacement that I had to buy because there was nothing left of the cylinder for S&W to determine how the gun failed with factory Hornady ammo.

http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=27593

Hevymetal

You should read my thread on Nevada Shooters about my S&W 347PD AirLite. It's been six months, and I'm still waiting for the replacement that I had to buy because there was nothing left of the cylinder for S&W to determine how the gun failed with factory Hornady ammo.

http://nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=27593

Deja Vu, Your response looks VERY similar to mine. They must have a form fed letter they use. Fortunately I had all the pieces as well as the spent casings to return with the gun. Their conclusion was the same "Over-pressured ammo" They also offered me the opportunity to buy an identical model at a "Reduced" rate.

So I called the ammo manufacturer and got them involved. I refuse to pay ANYTHING for a weapon only fired 3 times. If there is any cost involved in replacement it shouldn't be my responsibility. I made this quite clear to all parties involved.

I am in a holding pattern at the moment until a determination of WTF happened is made by the ammo manufacturer. The wheels of progress apparently turn very slow. I will wait as patiently as I can since I have no other choice. If they say it's a gun malfunction, I will go back to S&W and ask they replace my gun. If they say it's their fault I expect them to purchase the replacement for me.

I sometimes wonder if decent customer service and a company that stands behind their products is too much to ask for in this day and age?

Dreamer

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with this new Smith. They are usually ultra-reliable, and like everyone else has already told you, this sort of failure in a new S&W is exceedingly rare...

But what REALLY impressed me about your story is how you reacted to a potentially lethal failure in a factory-new handgun. You called a gunsmith, and then contacted Smith, to see if they could "make it right" by fiixing or replacing your gun. This is what any rational, responsible Liberty-minded gun owner would do.

If you had been a "liberal", I'd imagine that your first call would not have been to a gunsmith or the manufacturer, but rather to a LAWYER, so you coul dsue the manufacturer for "pain and suffering", and "manufacturing defective firearms".

Kudos to you for doing the right thing, rather than seeing this unfortunate mishap as a change to cash in on the "lawsuit lottery"...

REALteach4u

Had something similar happen to the same model of firearm in a class not so long ago. Fortunately, his was a squib load with a split case. Guess what the ammo was.....CCI. It didn't hurt his Smith, but it sure scared the pee out of the owner as well as myself because his new-to-shooting wife was behind the trigger.

Every manufacturer has bad ammo from time to time. It's how the customer was treated that counts.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
...and no one takes the bait...

Troll-bait_o_59845.jpg

Hevymetal

Well got an unexpected call this morning from my friend the gunsmith. He received a package from S&W. Apparently between them and CCI they decided the best course of action was just to replace my gun. That or they got tired of me calling every other week. So 6 months later (good thing I wasn't holding my breath) I have a brand new gun with no cost to me. They decided since the factory loaded ammo was bad (double load they said) and it caused the malfunction of my gun that CCI & S&W would split the cost and replace my gun. Somehow I got an extra battery for the laser sight too, BONUS.

All I can say now is, Thank You and FINALLY! This has restored my faith in S&W. My gun was finally replaced although it took a lot longer then I had anticipated. They came though for me. Better late then never.

Now I look forward to putting a few rounds downrange with it. I believe I will now go out and purchase a new box of Winchester ammo. :p

Just thought I would let you all know my sad story does have a happy ending.

Hevy

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What kind of ammunition is ":p"?

Oh! You mean a big smile. That little missing period after the word ammo makes it look like you might be thinking of using a wildcat cartridge. That would give a wrong impression in this particular thread, no?

:p:)

Glad everything turned out well. :)

jeeper1

I recently had my new 642-2 break or something after round 20. I was using WW+P jhp ammo. When I went to close the cylinder It wouldn't. As near as I can figure something backed out of the rear of the cylinder. Right now it is at S&W.

gunnieman

naw, say it ain't SO, dude!

everyone knows revolvers are ALL SO RELIABLE and durable, right. ? RIGHT?

gunnieman

yeah, but that aint what people CLAIM now, is it?

MY autoloaders are reliable, too, and they don't fall apart after less than 20 rds. :) It is VERY silly to not have a "spare" handgun that is very much like your defensive gun, so that the wear and fouling of practice do not fall upon the gun that your life is riding upon. Also, if your carry gun is seized as evidence after a shooting or you have to jettison it or lose it, you should not be helpless while you "get" another one.

WalkingWolf

MY autoloaders are reliable, too, and they don't fall apart after less than 20 rds. :) It is VERY silly to not have a "spare" handgun that is very much like your defensive gun, so that the wear and fouling of practice do not fall upon the gun that your life is riding upon. Also, if your carry gun is seized as evidence after a shooting or you have to jettison it or lose it, you should not be helpless while you "get" another one.
Any gun can break, most of the time it is due to ammo. Autoloaders should not have problems with wear from practice, if they do something is wrong. There are people who have SA, and DA revolvers that have been passed down from generations and they will protect lives for generations to follow. Same for good autoloaders with thousands of rounds through them, if I can't shoot it, I certainly am not going to carry it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Are you deliberately taking the revolver-reliability argument out of context? Or, do you just naturally over-react?

The revolver reliability argument is aimed at failures to feed and failures to eject. And, ease of operation for beginners or infrequent users--point and pull trigger.

Also, I've never heard it made as an absolute.

Or, maybe you were dumb enough to take literally the arguments of some revolver guy who overstated the case?

jeeper1

In 44 years of firearm ownership, that Smith 642 is the first firearm to give me a problem I couldn't fix myself and if I remember right only the third one to ever give me a problem. That is about 100 different weapons.
As far as not having spare gun, I have that well covered.